Anime and Manga v39

Ok it's that time again where I ask if anyone has heard of a manga because I forgot the name.

I'm trying to remember the name of a manga. The opening chapter had a group of people all unconscious in a club room and the chapter shows how they got there by making a hotpot with all kind of ingredients that led it to tasting terrible and KO'ing everyone. All of the characters were also quirky oddballs as well and that was the whole point of the club I think.

Please aid me with your infinite knowledge JBS. That and I'm still waiting on those reviews for Slime and Zombie Land Saga.
Sounds like the Haganai (Boku wa Tomodachi ga Sukunai). I remember seeing that chapter in the Anime Season 1 OVA. They decide to make nabe, and on a whim they decide on "kuro nabe" where all the nabe ingredients would be "mysterious" and random. The rest of your character description summary matches up.

Too bad there will probably never be a finish to that series.

Hunter x Hunter is picking up the pace. Succession war is going all out.

Ippo...interesting direction. Art has been really amazing.

Love this panel

proxy

Still follow Ippo... it is an interesting direction they are taking with this. I am actually quite stunned by what they did to him.

Do you think Ippo will come out of retirement? I think he will come back. His last fight was rather disappointing and the series had gotten stale for a long time. I don't know.. maybe I am jaded but it's not as exciting as it used to be. the jokes are just being repeated over and over again without any originality to it. This used to be one of my favorite manga to read but I am actually surprised I still follow out of sheer stubbornness...

Sounds like the Haganai (Boku wa Tomodachi ga Sukunai). I remember seeing that chapter in the Anime Season 1 OVA. They decide to make nabe, and on a whim they decide on "kuro nabe" where all the nabe ingredients would be "mysterious" and random. The rest of your character description summary matches up.

Thank You very much oh Elder Wise One.

Zombie land saga is kinda meh. Now I don't watch or read idol anime/manga. If you do then maybe you'll like it. Just good enough to give it another episode or two though.

Idol Anime...But with Zombie girls singing death metal and rap.

So where does everyone see Ippo going? I feel like George at this point has a wet dream for this series to get 2000 chapters or something cause and I've said this before Ippo just seems to regress more and more as this series goes on.

oooo just caught this...

I am thinking the new kid will be tied into Ippo's return. Either Ippo will fully recover or something silly or stupid erroneously create some weird assessment to Ippo being potentiall punch drunk and it was actually nothing.

It's just wasted to have Ippo become a trainer and leave it at that. I hope they end this shitty arc soon and bring Ippo back and he starts making an earnest move to the top. As I stated in another post it had gotten stale for a while and even regressed (agreeing with you) because Ippo simply wasn't progressing. It's generally the same jokes repackaged over and over again. I really wish Ippo would man up and fuck Kumi... This punk ass is still a virgin. How old is Ippo in the manga now??? 26? 28??... Fuckin' A...

Still follow Ippo... it is an interesting direction they are taking with this. I am actually quite stunned by what they did to him.

Do you think Ippo will come out of retirement? I think he will come back. His last fight was rather disappointing and the series had gotten stale for a long time. I don't know.. maybe I am jaded but it's not as exciting as it used to be. the jokes are just being repeated over and over again without any originality to it. This used to be one of my favorite manga to read but I am actually surprised I still follow out of sheer stubbornness...
The problem I think George ran into was he made side characters too interesting.

Like, I'm far FAR more interested in what happens to Takamura, Sendo, Volg, Mashiba, and Aoki/Kimura than I am what happens to Ippo.

He basically did to Ippo what some people did to Spider-Man when they introduced Punisher as a bad guy for a one off series. Punisher became so much more fucking interesting that they were forced to re-do his backstory and make him an anti-hero instead of a villain.

Huh, I actually read a bunch of that and enjoyed it but remember basically zero of the plot.

The problem I think George ran into was he made side characters too interesting.

Like, I'm far FAR more interested in what happens to Takamura, Sendo, Volg, Mashiba, and Aoki/Kimura than I am what happens to Ippo.

He basically did to Ippo what some people did to Spider-Man when they introduced Punisher as a bad guy for a one off series. Punisher became so much more fucking interesting that they were forced to re-do his backstory and make him an anti-hero instead of a villain.

I think it has more to do with how ippo is not progressing at all. He took the injury angle with him that started long ago and dragged it till now. Ippo used to level up every fight but in the last few fights he’s regressed due to his injury. He’s being capped and that’s why others ar more interesting in this stage.

And now he’s taking a backseat to others which make it worse.

It could be far more interesting but he chooses to diversify with other characters. If ippo was healed and moved up you’d be interested in him again.

Huh, I actually read a bunch of that and enjoyed it but remember basically zero of the plot.
You're not missing too much. According to how the original author finished the light novels, you'd probably get pissed at how it actually ends.

You're not missing too much. According to how the original author finished the light novels, you'd probably get pissed at how it actually ends.
Spoil it for me.

Yeah I think Ippo will return. I’m actually enjoying the slice of life vibe. Of course I want fighting to be the main focus. I’ve stuck with this series for over a decade. I’ll stick to it till the end.
One piece-A lot of action and freaking Kaido at the end!

Hunter x Hunter- Prince Terror Sandwich continues to grow at an alarming rate. This dude needs to be stopped.

I knew it !!! I theorized that Kaido was a Legendary beast ( I'm not the only one ) Dragon was one that was the most likely , that or Oni.

Spoil it for me.

Here you go:
Without getting too deep into it, the ending goes something like this...
  • Sena confesses to Kodaka, and Kodaka tells her he feels the same but doesn't want to hook up until after they all graduate. He doesn't want to disturb the vibe inside the club.
  • Yozora also confesses to Kodaka, but Kodake tells her that he basically has never even seen her as anything more than a friend, prompting her to disappear, only to end up being Sena's butler at the end of the last Volume published (volume 11).
  • Meanwhile Yukimura takes the chance to completely jump on Kodaka, and (in a weird turn of logic) he decides to hook up with Yukimura (even though he refused Sena for not wanting to upset the club). Obviously it makes things really awkward in the club, and Yukimura gives Kodaka an ultimatum: The Club or Her. They end up breaking up, with Yukimura disappearing and then showing up back at the club in Maid uniform again as if nothing happened.
  • After the Yukimura/Kodaka ship sinks, Kodaka confesses to Rika (because Rika has been the "good to go" girl the majority of the time she's around Kodaka). Noticing that Kodaka is being a sad sack of indecisive shit, Rika turns him down. Just like everyone else, she disappears but comes back to the club and everyone is back in an awkward "friend zone" but since nobody's competing with each other for Kodaka's dong, everything is "okay..."
Supposedly there is another Volume due to come out to wrap everything up, but the reception of Volume 11 was so bad the Author contemplated saying "Fuck it... That's where it ends..." and has threatened as such. I guess he was convinced to finish things up by his editor/publisher, but volume 12 was supposed to be out years ago, so he's obviously not in a rush.

And that is how it ends... Or how it ends up as of now.

Here you go:
  • Sena confesses to Kodaka, and Kodaka tells her he feels the same but doesn't want to hook up until after they all graduate. He doesn't want to disturb the vibe inside the club.
  • Yozora also confesses to Kodaka, but Kodake tells her that he basically has never even seen her as anything more than a friend, prompting her to disappear, only to end up being Sena's butler at the end of the last Volume published (volume 11).
  • Meanwhile Yukimura takes the chance to completely jump on Kodaka, and (in a weird turn of logic) he decides to hook up with Yukimura (even though he refused Sena for not wanting to upset the club). Obviously it makes things really awkward in the club, and Yukimura gives Kodaka an ultimatum: The Club or Her. They end up breaking up, with Yukimura disappearing and then showing up back at the club in Maid uniform again as if nothing happened.
  • After the Yukimura/Kodaka ship sinks, Kodaka confesses to Rika (because Rika has been the "good to go" girl the majority of the time she's around Kodaka). Noticing that Kodaka is being a sad sack of indecisive shit, Rika turns him down. Just like everyone else, she disappears but comes back to the club and everyone is back in an awkward "friend zone" but since nobody's competing with each other for Kodaka's dong, everything is "okay..."
Supposedly there is another Volume due to come out to wrap everything up, but the reception of Volume 11 was so bad the Author contemplated saying "Fuck it... That's where it ends..." and has threatened as such. I guess he was convinced to finish things up by his editor/publisher, but volume 12 was supposed to be out years ago, so he's obviously not in a rush.

<Huh2>
Jesus, I'm glad I never got that far. That's bad.

Here you go:

Whelp. That ruins a manga I was gonna pick up again. Reminds me of a shittier version of GE except that at least there all of the correct pairings happen. This is why I'm so averse to romance in manga outside of very decisive pairings like Ore Monogatari or Taisho Otome Otogibanashi(EVERRYONE needs a Yuzu in their life) where it's obvious right from the get go and there's never any doubt or triangle bullshit to deal with.

<Huh2>
Jesus, I'm glad I never got that far. That's bad.

Whelp. That ruins a manga I was gonna pick up again. Reminds me of a shittier version of GE except that at least there all of the correct pairings happen. This is why I'm so averse to romance in manga outside of very decisive pairings like Ore Monogatari or Taisho Otome Otogibanashi(EVERRYONE needs a Yuzu in their life) where it's obvious right from the get go and there's never any doubt or triangle bullshit to deal with.

Yeah... I've seen posts on Reddit and other fora trying to convince folks that the ending isn't that bad, but I just don't buy it. Supposedly that how the author wanted to end the light novels, but it isn't clear that he ended the last volume that way because he was sick of the story, going through shit, or just sick of the negative fan reaction for not shipping Kodaka with S/R/Y character like the "fans" wanted. Unfortunately, unless another volume comes out that does clarify things, that's where the story is left and anything else otherwise is fanfiction/conjecture. It's really sad, because I was really interested in seeing how things would end up, but we end up with another useless MC with no balls to do anything that might upset the status quo.

Peerless Dad just got an insane amount of uploads!

Good and bad. Good because I like the series and bad because they caught up to the Raws.

Pretty simple story. But I love a good action/Martial arts story.

Just finished Aishiteruze Baby and it's weird(not the manga, that was really good). You really don't see HS romcom manga like that GALS!, Lovely Complex, and the such anymore that touch on complex topics and emotional issues. Only ones I can think of the top of my head are Ore Monogatari and Kimi ni Todoke and both of those are already older works themselves.

Edit: Let's Lagoon also posted it's finalish chapter(there's apparently a more finalized one coming up) and it just feels kind of wrong to me in a way. Like, nothing was really explained about the island and what happened at the end feels really off.

Last edited:
I saw it talked about in here and then one of my friends mentioned it to me so I read Goblin Slayer, or whatever its called, it's interesting I guess but it feels like something is missing. For some reason it reminds me of a series(or at least all the chapters that were in English at the time) I read years ago by one of Miuras assistants, I wanna say it was called 'wolf something', where at times it was just gratuitous violence for the sake of violence. But I'll keep reading it and see where it goes.

Back