Anne Hathaway denounces white and straight privilege at awards ceremony

Again, I say, life is not always fair. Sometimes you don't get a raise, your coworker does. Sometimes your teammate gets more playing time, when you are beating him in practice. Sometimes you don't get the benefit for being the person best for the job at hand. Other times you do get the privilege. Nearly everyone has been on both sides of this.

Also if there is unfairness, why does is it only matter if it's because someone is gay, black, female, lesbian, Islamic etc? Do you guys ever get bent out of shape if say a white, Christian, straight male got passed over when he was the best candidate?

It's all "injustice" by your terms.
There is a difference between coming up to bat and striking out and not even being given a pitch to swing at, that's what white privilege is, always being given a pitch to swing at while that same opportunity is being denied to others and that is what people are trying to change.

There is a difference between coming up to bat and striking out and not even being given a pitch to swing at, that's what white privilege is, always being given a pitch to swing at while that same opportunity is being denied to others and that is what people are trying to change.
Well we've all experienced that. Sometimes I was never given a chance. But I moved on.

Thanks. AIDS was surpassed by suicide in 2007 for leading cause of death in gay men.

So it's now suicide then AIDS as the leading cause of death. In that order.
https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/09581596.2014.946887
Think for a second. This is taken directly from the abstract:

"We estimated that in 2011, suicide resulted in 46 deaths per 100,000 gay and bisexual men, while HIV resulted in 30 deaths per 100,000. Based on these estimates, suicide surpassed HIV as a leading cause of premature mortality for gay and bisexual men in 2007"

So to correct your statement. First of all, it's an estimation based on 7 year old figures. More importantly, it clearly says A leading cause, not THE leading cause. Look at the numbers. 46 deaths per 100.000 were suicide by their estimations. Think for a second. 46 per capita, or 100.000. In the US, 844 people died per 100.000 (1). So that would make 46 / 844 * 100 = 5,5%. This would make it at the level of strokes (5,1%), accidents (5,2%), respiratory disease (5,6%) and several times less than cancer (22%) or heart disease (23%) (2). It's still way too high, and gay men commit suicide at about twice the rate of the population average for males (3). It's not the leading cause though.

1: https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/fastats/deaths.htm
2: https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/282929.php
3: https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/images/databriefs/301-350/db309_fig3.png

Thanks, I assumed it would be lower but you were right.
He wasn't. Do yourself a favour and examine, or at least read the abstract of a study when you are presented with it.

Again, I say, life is not always fair. Sometimes you don't get a raise, your coworker does. Sometimes your teammate gets more playing time, when you are beating him in practice. Sometimes you don't get the benefit for being the person best for the job at hand. Other times you do get the privilege. Nearly everyone has been on both sides of this.

Also if there is unfairness, why does is it only matter if it's because someone is gay, black, female, lesbian, Islamic etc? Do you guys ever get bent out of shape if say a white, Christian, straight male got passed over when he was the best candidate?

It's all "injustice" by your terms.

If he's being discriminated against, yes. But the overwhelming majority of discrimination in the US has and continues to take place against brown and black people, women, the poor, gay and trans people, etc. The country was literally founded in white supremacy and the effect of that still ripples. That's not me being an SJW, that's simply a fact.

The rest of your post baffles me. You're basically saying people should accept whatever they're dealt and not ask for another better or try to change it. With that logic, nothing would ever change. "Oh I'm a slave because of my skin color? Whelp, sucks for me!" "Oh I'm a Jew in Nazi Germany circa the 1940s and I'm going to get slaughtered for existing? Bummer! That's life." "Oh I'm a woman and can't vote, own land, and men can legally assault me? That's just the way the cookie crumbles I guess!"

<JagsKiddingMe>

Think for a second. This is taken directly from the abstract:

"We estimated that in 2011, suicide resulted in 46 deaths per 100,000 gay and bisexual men, while HIV resulted in 30 deaths per 100,000. Based on these estimates, suicide surpassed HIV as a leading cause of premature mortality for gay and bisexual men in 2007"

So to correct your statement. First of all, it's an estimation based on 7 year old figures. More importantly, it clearly says A leading cause, not THE leading cause. Look at the numbers. 46 deaths per 100.000 were suicide by their estimations. Think for a second. 46 per capita, or 100.000. In the US, 844 people died per 100.000 (1). So that would make 46 / 844 * 100 = 5,5%. This would make it at the level of strokes (5,1%), accidents (5,2%), respiratory disease (5,6%) and several times less than cancer (22%) or heart disease (23%) (2). It's still way too high, and gay men commit suicide at about twice the rate of the population average for males. It's not the leading cause though.

1: https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/fastats/deaths.htm
2: https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/282929.php

He wasn't. Do yourself a favour and examine, or at least read the abstract of a study when you are presented with it.
If that's incorrect, then I'm sorry. I googled it.

But my point is that gay men are their own worst enemy and the gay community is their own worse enemy. With all the promiscuity, domestic violence, drug abuse, alcohol abuse, all the std's they have running rampant, the depression and the suicide etc. Their biggest enemy is not white Christian straight males.

I wanna say its like 70/30 I think gay people have souls at this point, could be wrong

If that's incorrect, then I'm sorry. I googled it.

But my point is that gay men are their own worst enemy and the gay community is their own worse enemy. With all the domestic violence, drug abuse, alcohol abuse, all the std's they have running rampant, the depression and the suicide etc. Their biggest enemy is not white Christian straight males.
You been saying it for a while now and it's a false statement. You presented a study but it seemed like you didn't even read the abstract. The problem with presenting false statements is that it undermines your argument, even when there is a legitimate concern to be raised.

To understand why the suicide rate is double, you must understand the various aspects that plays into it. Same with depression, substance abuse, violence and so on. Do you honestly believe, that societal acceptance and context does not effect a persons mental well being? I am not trying to remove personal responsibility, but I'd like to hear your thoughts on the psychology.

If he's being discriminated against, yes. But the overwhelming majority of discrimination in the US has and continues to take place against brown and black people, women, the poor, gay and trans people, etc.
I disagree. But even if you are correct, how are you going to force your version of justice on other people? And how do you know that the injustice is always because of skin color, sex, and lgbtq+?

The rest of your post baffles me. You're basically saying people should accept whatever they're dealt and not ask for another better or try to change it.
Keep doing your best. You will face struggles and trials. You will get knocked down. Don't dwell on what you can't control, just have a good attitude and work on the things you can control. At times this is very difficult. Because you have to deny the natural human tendency to complain and blame everyone else or blame God.

Last edited:
You been saying it for a while now and it's a false statement. You presented a study but it seemed like you didn't even read the abstract. The problem with presenting false statements is that it undermines your argument, even when there is a legitimate concern to be raised.

To understand why the suicide rate is double, you must understand the various aspects that plays into it. Same with depression, substance abuse, violence and so on. Do you honestly believe, that societal acceptance and context does not effect a persons mental well being? I am not trying to remove personal responsibility, but I'd like to hear your thoughts on the psychology.
I'm seeing an article saying the gay male suicide rates are 6 x higher than straight males. Not double. And I'm seeing similar information elsewhere.

Anyway, suicide and death from the AIDS virus is very high in the gay community. Some sources saying the top two. http://cbrc.net/articles/09-2014/suicide-major-cause-death-gay-and-bisexual-men

I disagree. But even if you are correct, how are you going to force your version of justice on other people? And how do you know that the injustice is always because of skin color, sex, and lgbtq+?

Well, when you look at the history of the US, property owning white men were not only the majority, but had all the power and made the rules (for the overwhelming majority of US history), and that really only started changing in the last century. Only a few decades ago it was legal to directly discriminate against someone based on skin color and sex. This simply isn't debatable, it's historical fact. There's lots of statistics that show that black and brown people are incarcerated at disproportionate rates to white people for the same crimes, etc. Look up "sundown towns" on google for example.

Keep doing your best. You will face struggles and trials. You will get knocked down. Don't dwell on what you can't control, just have a good attitude and work on the things you can control. At times this is very difficult. Because you have to deny the natural human tendency to complain and blame everyone else or blame God.

I try not to dwell on things I can't control. As far as the discrimination against marginalized groups, the poor, our foreign policy, education, the workplace, etc, those are things within our control, and that's why things have changed so drastically. If they couldn't be changed, they wouldn't have been.

I don't believe in any gods, so I don't blame any. People have orchestrated our problems, and it's up to us to fix them.

I'm seeing an article saying the gay male suicide rates are 6 x higher than straight males. Not double. And I'm seeing similar information elsewhere.

Anyway, suicide and death from the AIDS virus is very high in the gay community. Some sources saying the top two. http://cbrc.net/articles/09-2014/suicide-major-cause-death-gay-and-bisexual-men
The source you posted doesn't say the top two, can you not read? It says a major cause again, where is top two? I literally gave you the data.

The 6x higher is not true either, this is what is says:

"In 1970 a seminal study by Kinsey Institute researchers Alan Bell and Martin Weinberg added sexual orientation to this list after finding that gay, lesbian, and bisexual adults in San Francisco were six times more likely than heterosexuals of the same age to have attempted suicide."

First of all, it's 40 years old data, second and more importantly, it says ATTEMPTED suicide. The actual suicide rate for gay men is about twice lifetime prevelance than the entire male population, which I provided data for.

You never answered the very pressing question I asked you either.

Do you honestly believe, that societal acceptance and context does not effect a persons mental well being? I am not trying to remove personal responsibility, but I'd like to hear your thoughts on the psychology.
Sure I think it has an effect. The biggest effect is than many of these gay people were sexually abused as minors. And this is a bigger factor in my opinion. Milo, Don Lemon, George Takei, and Anderson Cooper all admit to being sexually molested by older homosexuals as minors.

My counter to that would be the gays that move to gay communities in big cities. Those places are known for drug and alcohol abuse. And these are places where gay people are loved and accepted for the type of sex they like to have. But they abuse drugs, alcohol and have high depression there as well.

It makes sense that destructive sexual behavior tends to lead to other destructive behavior

Rich Privilege>Hollywood Privilege>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>White Privilege>>>>>Straight Privilege.

Maybe they should give up some of their wealth or all of it. They have had enough of it time to give others a chance.

The elephant in the room is that when people talk about White privilege, they don't include Jews or White Hispanics or Levantine Arabs , they only mean Anglo gentile Whites. Some major celeb or media should point this out and ask why only gentile Anglo Whites are criticized.

Look up "sundown towns" on google for example.
If they still exist, we'd be hearing about them in the news.

The bad parts of the inner city is the definition of a "sundown town."

A black person is safer walking down the small town with no stoplights near me. Yet my life would be in extreme danger if I walked through many of the urban black neighborhoods at night.

I try not to dwell on things I can't control.
That's good, we all need to do that.

Someone is looking for attention during a career downswing.

If they still exist, we'd be hearing about them in the news.

The bad parts of the inner city is the definition of a "sundown town."

A black person is safer walking down the small town with no stoplights near me. Yet my life would be in extreme danger if I walked through many of the urban black neighborhoods at night.

Oh, I wasn't saying they still exist (to my knowledge), more noting how recently they still existed, in some places I believe even into the 70s and 80s. My dad told me about one that was right near where I grew up. A black dude I used to work with was called the n word and jumped from behind in a town nearby that, too.

As far as your life being in danger, it would really depend on the town. In general you're more likely to have trouble in low income areas regardless of the skin tone of the people living there, and because of how long the US had legal racism and segregated minorities, there's a disproportionate number of low income black and brown people vs white people (per capita). Poverty is a race and class issue. Are there darker skinned people who are prejudiced against white people? Certainly. But that doesn't change the fact that for centuries they were treated brutally, which is why this sort of discrimination exists. It doesn't make it right if a black person does you harm for being white, but it also doesn't change the fact that through every metric dark skinned people have and still face the lion's share of discrimination and mistreatment. It's gotten much better, but we're not out of the woods yet. Hopefully we get beyond these prejudices but there's still a lot of work to do. Not everyone thinks it's possible but I believe we can.

That's good, we all need to do that.

Indeed. Life presents enough stressors, but I would argue that we also need to be aware of what we can change and what sort of power and influence we have over our personal lives and the world. It's a balancing act.

Your levels of victim mentality are disturbing.

Go and search for reasons why an alarming percentage of black kids don't graduate high school. Then try to come up with some solutions.

Seems those blacks kids in school have a pitch to swing at...but they don't give a shit where they hit the ball...or whether they even hit the ball or not.

Back