ANNIHILATION from Ex Machina Writer/Director (87% Rotten Tomatoes Score)

If you have seen ANNIHILATION, how would you rate it?

• Total voters
Annihilation is a 2018 sci-fi horror movie staring Natalie Portman as some chick who goes into "the shimmer" to face an alien threat.
Trailer:

It's a decent movie, but a while after watching it, I realized its just an inferior version of John Carpenter's classic The Thing.
eg:
1) Movie opens with an alien life form crashing to earth like an asteroid
2) An isolated team, without any way to communicate with the outside world, faces this threat
3) Their first interaction with this alien comes in the form of mutated animal life
4) They gradually find evidence of a previous team's destruction at the hands of the alien, including finding a human body torn apart and now oozing alien life
5) One character from the team ties the others to a chair to figure out which one cannot be trusted
6) While characters are tied up, alien life attacks
7) Alien imitates the form of the humans, leading to confusion over character's identity

Portman looks good in it, but the one dude hangs dong.
So I recommend skipping it and just rewatching The Thing

Carpenter.

<{cruzshake}>

This is the classic difference between a ripoff, and an homage.

Annihilation definitely tips its cap a few times to The Thing, but the two are very different movies, with very different feels, exploring very different thoughts, etc.

Both very much worth watching.

I thought it had its moments, the mutant bear was creepy.
The ending was not very good, and what happened to Raddick (valkyrie from Thor). She just wanders off and turns into a plant?

Raddick was killed by the bear after she tied everyone to chairs.

Assuming I've got my actresses straight. Valkyrie was the badass lesbian and not the physicist, correct?

Sorry, man. I love The Thing and it's great for what it is, but Annihilation aimed a bit higher and really nailed it, imo.

Going to have to respectfully disagree.

The Thing in my opinion was much, much better at what it was doing than Annihilation was at what it was doing. I liked Annihilation a lot but The Thing is one of if not the very best science fiction horror movies ever made.

Last edited:
Why do you think the alien is evil? I don’t think that’s the case with this scene.

I don't think I've ever felt fear because something on screen was simply alien. Usually it's because something evil is threatening the hero.

What a great movie.

no......its really not

maybe to bums that only enjoy casual easy to digest garbage like the latest FAST FURIOUS 13.

its a very creative and mind blowing movie. I'd say one of the best movies in a long time

I like Fast and Furious 13 and this movie

So fuck you bitch

I don't think I've ever felt fear because something on screen was simply alien. Usually it's because something evil is threatening the hero.

What a great movie.

Joe would you say the alien was threatening her. I'm not so sure that is what's happening either. Almost seems like a mix of child like curiosity and evolution happening all at once.

Pretty bad, but close at the same time. I think the tone/pace and the cast were the wrong way to go.

Joe would you say the alien was threatening her. I'm not so sure that is what's happening either. Almost seems like a mix of child like curiosity and evolution happening all at once.

I think it was a dangerous situation for her, like when she was pressed against the door, but I was really feeling afraid because of how alien it was and the unknown potential for danger.

I think it was like a child playing with an insect, unaware that the insect is being damaged.

It was the best representation of something "other" that I've ever seen on screen.

Sorry, man. I love The Thing and it's great for what it is, but Annihilation aimed a bit higher and really nailed it, imo.

I'd have to disagree like a motherfucker. Annihilation, tho decent, needed to be more grounded.

The Thing is a 10/10 and Annihilation is maybe a 7.

I see a lot of references to the Thing, which is infinitely (he-he) better, but gills are obviously missing the Invssion of the Body Snatchers (70s version also infinitely better) similarities.

I'd have to disagree like a motherfucker. Annihilation, tho decent, needed to be more grounded.

The Thing is a 10/10 and Annihilation is maybe a 7.

I have to disagree, kind of. The Thing took the formula and fucking nailed it; Annihilation did something entirely new and did pretty fucking great. I have to give the edge to the film breaking new ground. Totally my personal preference.

Why do you think the alien is evil? I don’t think that’s the case with this scene.

Because everyone who entered the shimmer died.

Maybe evil wasn't the right word. Dangerous might have been more accurate.

Back