ANNIHILATION from Ex Machina Writer/Director (87% Rotten Tomatoes Score)

If you have seen ANNIHILATION, how would you rate it?

• Total voters
Watched it. Pretty good. Thought the ending was pretty cliche and I don't understand how the scientist couldn't realize that the chances of her being a copy are very high. Would have been better if it ended with her thinking she got away with something and then the room she and her husband are in being sealed with a head scientist coming out saying they know she's a copy and they will continue the experiment from there.

Holy shit, great movie. DNA manipulation is some scary stuff. I'm not sure if there's anything more frightening.

Watched it. Pretty good. Thought the ending was pretty cliche and I don't understand how the scientist couldn't realize that the chances of her being a copy are very high. Would have been better if it ended with her thinking she got away with something and then the room she and her husband are in being sealed with a head scientist coming out saying they know she's a copy and they will continue the experiment from there.

She's not a copy. The copy got set on fire.

This movie blew my mind (I was super high so there's that). I loved it

She's not a copy. The copy got set on fire.
Do you remember when they first entered the Shimmer and three days later they woke up without any recollection? It was possibly at this momemt that they became copies of themselves. It is more implied than shown in the movie.

The director wants to audience to believe both herself and Husband are copies.

i liked the sounds the alien thing made at the end;.

Creepy shit. It’s the sound from the trailer when the shimmer is first shown, which you assume is just an element of the score but then you see the film and that’s what it’s revealed to be.

Some people asking about the copies and such

This is comming from fans on reddit of the books, but its one of the general ideas on it all from the books (The movie took things from the books and crammed it into one movie and fucked with alot) but:
-The Copies are kind of like the shimmer/the alien intelligence trying to copy and be able to communicate with humans. It fails some times - thats what the bear was, In the books its kind of implied that there is a creature (the moaning creature) that is a failed copy.

I don't realy want to explain too much more for fear of spoils, but in the books the husband is a copy, and most copies/people who have come back from area x die within 6 months or a year or so I Think.

The books really are pretty cool and trippy, the movie has its moments but could have been better if it followed the books more.

Pretty visuals but the casting and plot sucked.

Really? I loved Ex Machina and thought this movie was below average. Maybe I wasn't in the right mood when I watched it. I'll have to revisit it.

Yeah I felt it was ultimately lacking in substance relative to Ex Machina, an interesting sci fi horror that was certainly very creepy at points but it felt more like an extended X-files episode than the second coming of Stalker.

Garland is IMHO better off sticking with more conventional drama IMHO, sections of this film that seemed like they were ment to come across as otherworldy/dreamy verged on self parody for me.

Doesn't help as well that it was on similar kind of ground to Under The Skin which managed to pull off both of the above much more successfully for me.

Some people asking about the copies and such

This is comming from fans on reddit of the books, but its one of the general ideas on it all from the books (The movie took things from the books and crammed it into one movie and fucked with alot) but:
-The Copies are kind of like the shimmer/the alien intelligence trying to copy and be able to communicate with humans. It fails some times - thats what the bear was, In the books its kind of implied that there is a creature (the moaning creature) that is a failed copy.

I don't realy want to explain too much more for fear of spoils, but in the books the husband is a copy, and most copies/people who have come back from area x die within 6 months or a year or so I Think.

The books really are pretty cool and trippy, the movie has its moments but could have been better if it followed the books more.

The first book was really good, I didn't feel like the 2nd and 3rd book added much to the story and mostly just made me mad since they just added more questions than answers. Maybe it's just because of the way the 1st and 2nd book were building up it seemed like thing would be somewhat explained in the 3rd. Had I known that almost nothing would be answered I may have enjoyed it more and read it looking for clues rather than waiting to be told.

Does anyone have any idea on why the shimmer destroys itself?

I didn't really understand why her copy started to not copy her
See this is what I was just wondering about . Previously when she went to the door the copy mimicked her and went to the door as well. So she pulls out the pin and moves away . If the copy immediately stuck to her like before she would've died burning .

The first book was really good, I didn't feel like the 2nd and 3rd book added much to the story and mostly just made me mad since they just added more questions than answers. Maybe it's just because of the way the 1st and 2nd book were building up it seemed like thing would be somewhat explained in the 3rd. Had I known that almost nothing would be answered I may have enjoyed it more and read it looking for clues rather than waiting to be told.

Yeah I know what you mean but theres supposed to be more books coming.

I like how it's open ended but I'd like some answers too.

Just real upset we didn't get the tower and things

Finally got to watch it. Solid movie. It seemed different and unique. Good fun.

Back