ANNIHILATION from Ex Machina Writer/Director (87% Rotten Tomatoes Score)

If you have seen ANNIHILATION, how would you rate it?

• Total voters
Didn't realize this was based on something by vandermeer. The Ambergris series, especially Finch, was pretty cool, and I have high hopes for this.

Anything done by the guy who did Ex Machina is going to be good. This project is getting MCU-levels of trust from me.

It also doesn't hurt that it's filled to the brim with talented eye candy.

Anything done by the guy who did Ex Machina is going to be good. This project is getting MCU-levels of trust from me.

It also doesn't hurt that it's filled to the brim with talented eye candy.

Also once said about the guy that did The Deer Hunter, the guy that did The Sixth Sense, the guy that did District 9, the guy that did Die Hard 2, the guys* that did The Matrix and the guy that did Citizen Kane.

Also once said about the guy that did The Deer Hunter, the guy that did The Sixth Sense, the guy that did District 9, the guy that did Die Hard 2, the guys* that did The Matrix and the guy that did Citizen Kane.
Innocent until proven guilty...

Oscar Isaac is money.

Jennifer Jason Leigh got old and it makes me sad. :(

Update: August 3, 2017

Alex Garland's Sci-Fi Thriller ANNIHILATION Gets Feb. 2018 Release Date

AnnihilationHeader.jpg

Paramount has set a February 23, 2018 release date for science-fiction thriller Annihilation, starring Natalie Portman.

The studio is placing the movie in the slot vacated by Legendary-Universal’s Pacific Rim Uprising.

The film, based on Jeff VanderMeer’s novel, is directed by Alex Garland from his own script. The story follows a biologist, played by Portman, who embarks on a four-person expedition into a territory cut off from civilization while searching for clues about her husband’s disappearance. While there, she must deal with a contamination, vanishing colleagues, a deadly animal, and a creature known as the Crawler.

Oscar Isaac plays Portman’s husband. Gina Rodriguez, Tessa Thompson and Jennifer Jason Leigh portray the other members of the search party. Andrew Macdonald and Allon Reich are the producers.

Garland received an Academy Award nomination in the best original screenplay category for 2014’s Ex Machina.

Annihilation will face competition from CBS Films’ horror entry Winchester, starring Helen Mirren as gun heiress Sarah Winchester dealing with a massive haunted house.

This comes after Universal and Legendary moved the sci-fi sequel Pacific Rim Uprising back a month to March 23. It was the fourth date given to the title, which was originally scheduled to open in 2017.

Natalie Portman’s Sci-Fi Thriller ‘Annihilation’ Gets February 2018 Release Date

You're insane if you think Portman is bad. Black swan was an incredible performance.

Indeed, she has been in some average films as well down the years that don't push her much but when the films high quality she is as well, Jackie was similar.

I'm guessing unlike the gimmick in ghostbusters theres probably a plot reason for 4 female leads here, I don't want to spoil it by reading a synopsis of the book though.

Update: September 26, 2017

Natalie Portman Investigates an Alligator in the First Official Image from ANNIHILATION

annihilation.jpg

In the science fiction film Annihilation, Natalie Portman plays a scientist named Lena, who is part of an expedition tasked with exploring an area which has been taken over by a mysterious force. “[She] finds a very strange, dream-like, surrealist landscape, and goes deeper and deeper into that world, and also into that mindset,” says writer-director Alex Garland (Ex Machina). Jennifer Jason Leigh, Tuva Novotny, Gina Rodriguez, and Tessa Thompson costar as her fellow team members, while Oscar Isaac plays Portman’s husband.

One other character of note featured in the film? An alligator, as is revealed in EW’s exclusive first look photo, above. “It is their first tangible encounter with something strange,” says Garland. “The alligator has physical elements to it that should not belong on an alligator. They’re starting to get their heads around how weird the place is.”

Annihilation is based on JeffVanderMeer’s 2014 novel, the first book in the Southern Reach trilogy, which the author continued with Authority and then wrapped up with Acceptance. “I was in post-production on Ex Machina, and one of the producers of that film, Scott Rudin, called up and said, ‘I just acquired this book, I think it’s interesting and, would you take a look,'” says Garland, whose screenwriting credits also include Dredd and 28 Days Later. “I don’t finish books, or films, or anything, really, if it isn’t grabbing me for one reason. Well, I read it in a sitting. I found the atmosphere incredibly strong and I liked the kind of dream state that it created and put me in. It had all sorts of qualities that I found really interesting. I thought immediately, Yes, I’d like to try this.”

Isaac recently promised EW that Annihilation would be “very weird and very beautiful.” “That’s what we were shooting for,” says Garland. “The beauty part of it was quite important. Even when it’s grim, and something dark is happening, there’s quite an overt beauty, and we took pains to make sure that happened.”

Although the original book is part of a trilogy, Garland says he regards his film as a standalone movie. “I did once work on a film called Dredd, which I imagined to be the first part of a trilogy,” says Garland. “But it’s not something I like doing. I’d rather work on a story that I felt was self-contained rather than one that sort of had a ‘dot-dot-dot’ at the end. I think that provokes a sort of instant, understandable, cynicism. We sense the money grab and I feel that pollutes the story. So, right from the get-go, I did not think of this as being part of a trilogy; I thought of it as being just a single, self-contained movie. If other people wanted to do that, that would be fine. That’s none of my business. But from my point of view, it’s just one.”

Annihilation — a Paramount Pictures and Skydance presentation — is in theaters Feb. 23, 2018.

Natalie Portman dives into the mouth of an alligator in Annihilation first look

I can't wait to see this. I really like Alex Garland as a writer and Ex Machina is one of my favorite sci-fi movies.

4 chicks in the forest all alone with a crazy creature running aboot? Don't know why I had thoughts of The Descent running through my head. Sounds interesting.

He's a killer writer though:

• 28 Days Later
  • Sunshine
  • Ex Machina
  • Never Let Me Go
  • Dredd
  • The Beach
They were all great films, some may debate the Beach but I enjoyed it.

Ex Machina is one of my favorite movies in recent years so I'm interested.

Update: September 27, 2017

Teaser Trailer for Alex Garland's ANNIHILATION Starring Natalie Portman

Based on Jeff VanderMeer’s best-selling Southern Reach Trilogy, Annihilation stars Natalie Portman, Jennifer Jason Leigh, Gina Rodriguez, Tessa Thompson, Tuva Novotny and Oscar Isaac. It was written and directed by Alex Garland (Ex Machina, 28 Days Later). In theaters February 23, 2018.

This will be merged with the official thread after a few days.

Back