Another big knife I made

Nice, I hope you post pics.
Will do. May try to get a hamon on 1095 steel.

Probably going to make a tactical type knife for gift for my dad. If it turns out I will use a YouTube tutorial to make a kyxex press,so I can make him a sheath.

Will do. May try to get a hamon on 1095 steel.

Probably going to make a tactical type knife for gift for my dad. If it turns out I will use a YouTube tutorial to make a kyxex press,so I can make him a sheath.

Nice! I have yet to make a knife for my dad. He used to hunt, but doesnt anymore, so hunting/skinning knives wont fit the bill. Not really sure what to make him.

Are you gonna do some kind of forced patina on it?

Nice! I have yet to make a knife for my dad. He used to hunt, but doesnt anymore, so hunting/skinning knives wont fit the bill. Not really sure what to make him.

Are you gonna do some kind of forced patina on it?

I may etch with some acid.

Did a forced patina on my last one used apple cider vinegar.

Went from this
weF0777.jpg

To this.
YaOcJgT.jpg

Took forever though. Steel was O1.

Been reading a shit load of Bladeforum. Haven't registered though cause I appreciate the anonymity of Sherdog and don't want to register my name.

Went from this
weF0777.jpg

To this.
YaOcJgT.jpg

Been reading a shit load of Bladeforum. Haven't registered though cause I appreciate the anonymity of Sherdog and don't want to register my name.

Oh thats really nice. I've tried straight vinegar before, but only to a dull grey. I'm gonna try again on another blade to completely black like that.

Went from this
weF0777.jpg

To this.
YaOcJgT.jpg

Looks good, I too have only ever got a dull grey no were near as dark as that
If I may how long did you leave it to soak and and Did you warm the vinegar?
I've been experimenting with cold blue then soaking in bleach, liking the results so far

Looks good, I too have only ever got a dull grey no were near as dark as that
If I may how long did you leave it to soak and and Did you warm the vinegar?
I've been experimenting with cold blue then soaking in bleach, liking the results so far
Heated it a bunch. Would basically put a mason jar of it in the microwave. Then put the blade in for like 30 mins, take it out rinse under cold water, wipe with a paper towel, then back in to heated mason jar.

Took a lot of rotations to get that dark. Tried wiping it with hot vinegar and a cotton ball and it was an exercise in futility.

*Edit* Also since that pic is fresh out of the apple cider vinegar I think it looks a lot darker than it finished out.

Last edited:
Nice knife, Einar! It looks like it has a lot of weight toward the end of the blade, good for chopping/hacking/beheading

Ok have the blank cut out for the knife I'm gonna make for my pops. Blade steel is 1095, 3/8 inch thick. Going to go with black Micarta scales on the sides.
g8I0uup.jpg

Trying the angle grinder to rough out the bevels. Hoping it doesn't turn into an abject failure but will post results either way.

That looks amazing!

Got rough bevels done with the angle grinder, much quicker than using the Gough File Jig but amplifies any mistakes. Smoothed out as much as I could using my so cheapo harbor freight belt sander before i move to hand sanding.

Need use a file and sand paper to clean up the more or less non-existent plunge line as well.

TZUnNf9.jpg

VQBxTHV.jpg

Got rough bevels done with the angle grinder, much quicker than using the Gough File Jig but amplifies any mistakes. Smoothed out as much as I could using my so cheapo harbor freight belt sander before i move to hand sanding.

Need use a file and sand paper to clean up the more or less non-existent plunge line as well.

TZUnNf9.jpg

VQBxTHV.jpg

Looking good, man. Looking forward to seeing the finished knife. Is it really 3/8" though? Thats 9.5 mm, thats REALLY thick. I'm guessing you mean 3/16.

Looking good, man. Looking forward to seeing the finished knife. Is it really 3/8" though? Thats 9.5 mm, thats REALLY thick. I'm guessing you mean 3/16.
Yeah probably typo'd it. Will add updates later tonight and double check the thickness.

Just tempered it yesterday and now I need to clean up the grinds, hand sand and etch to see if my clay heat treat made a hamon.

*Edit* Gonna retry my clay and heat treatment. Got zero hamon so I'm gonna go thicker with clay and try again. I think I was too thin last time. If no hamon again, will just move forward without it.

Last edited:
Back