Another 'I'm buying my first pistol 'thread. Any advice?

NinjaBlack

Blue Belt
Reaction score
UPDATE: I NOW HAVE THE GUN- PAGE 16
UPDATE: I NOW HAVE THE GUN- PAGE 16

I'm getting it for both recreation and a home defense gun. I know that a 9mm won't kill someone the moment they step foot in my door, but let's assume the intruder will leave after being shot

I've narrowed it down to three choices around the $500 range. I should have $500 saved up within 3-4 weeks.

First: S&W M&P9
209300.jpg

I can get a new m&p for $495. I like the way the gun looks, I shot it at the range with no problems and it was a very nice gun. I like the accessory rails on the front. I'm not sold on the trigger, it just seems like average wear and tear over time could cause damage to it, but I'm just going off looks. I know there are a few people on this forum who have owned an m&p so feel free to give me your thoughts. Another big reason for putting this at the top of the list is because I've heard S&w has awesome customer service.

Second: Ruger SR9
3301.jpg

I really really like the look of this gun but I have not done much research on it's reliability. It would be the cheapest of the 3 at a price of around $425-450; Now that I like. I would really need to do more research on this gun so if anyone owns or has owned one please chime in with your impressions of it. I like the stock sights and the look of the trigger, but like I said I would need to look into how reliable it would be. I have 3-4 weeks to decide so that will be plenty of time.

Third: Glock 19
PG-19502-03.jpg

A new glock 19 will cost me somewhere around $545 but from what I've heard about the reliability and durability of the glock pistols I could maybe get a used one and be fine. The one's I'm looking at and that is pictured is a gen4. I do no't know the difference between gen 3 and 4, but I could easily find out with a google search. I assume that accessories for these pistols would be a little cheaper than others and I've also heard that takedown for this gun is very very simple. Only having a 15 rd magazine in the 19 is an issue, but then again does 2 rounds really matter? I don't know.

Those are my top three choices. I've heard good things about the Springfield XD which would be in the same price range, but when I search for it there's so many models that it's been overwhelming so far. Do you guys think it would be worth my while to also look into perhaps getting an XD?

Now I don't need to be schooled on every detail of every gun, but if anyone can offer me some relevant pros/cons or maybe offer some of your own experience with the above guns, it would be appreciated.

Last edited:
I don't personally own a 9mm (1911 .45 ACP FTW!) but from my friends that DO have them most have S&W 9mms.

for home defense I suggest a revolver as you can keep it loaded at all times, so its ready to go when you need it

From the list, Glock 17.

I nominate the Beretta 92f though as well.

For my first i actually went with the Ruger Super blackhawk single action 44 magnum and i really like it. And for home defense i honestly would stick with the revolver, a little more reliable.
KS411N-lg.jpg

It is mentioned at the bottom of my post.

oh, damn sho is....

hazards of posting while half asleep I guess

Go with the XD, I worked in a gunshop for 3 years and shot every one of those guns, and the XD shoots the best

Another 'I'm buying my first pistol 'thread. Any advice?

Yeah, read the other thread.

:icon_chee

j/k

Glock/AK/J-Frame .38/12ga <-- pick 2 of these and you're good

I prefer Glocks, but they're all good choices. If you want a Glock, you can actually get one new for $425. To do that, go here and get a membership:

Glock Sport Shooting Foundation

It's the Glock Sport Shooting Foundation, new membership for 1 year is $35. As a member you get to buy 1 new Glock a year at a discounted price (it's basically the LEO program)

Here's the price list:

http://www.gssfonline.com/GSSF_Pistol_Purchase_Program_Information.pdf

Hmmm.. Definitely going to look into that assuming there are no other fees. That would make the final price for the glock 19 around $460. I'm thinking after I drop 4-500 on a pistol I will then be spending another 50 on classes then more on ammo.

Lord of Lies- are you a member? It says "For locations, please contact GLOCK Customer Service" Does this mean to find a dealer here who supports the program? or a place that's managed by glock?

Last edited:
No, I'm not a member yet. I just found out about the program so I was going to sign up (I'm looking to buy another Glock).

Yeah to find a local dealer who participates in the program you can call Glock customer service. From what I've read any dealer who is involved in the LEO sales program will do this one (it's the same program, the dealers get these Glocks at a reduced price, so if you get one it's the same guns that law enforcement get).

And the member price kinda breaks even, as these guns come with 3 magazines instead of the normal 2 magazines. A new magazine is about $25-$30.

Hmmm.. Definitely going to look into that assuming there are no other fees. That would make the final price for the glock 19 around $460. I'm thinking after I drop 4-500 on a pistol I will then be spending another 50 on classes then more on ammo.

Lord of Lies- are you a member? It says "For locations, please contact GLOCK Customer Service" Does this mean to find a dealer here who supports the program? or a place that's managed by glock?

You can get 9mm practice ammo for $100/500 rds or so.

9mm Ammo For Sale - 115 gr FMJ - Wolf WPA 9mm Luger Ammunition In Stock - 500 Rounds

Here's 900 rds for $159

AMM-4701 - Ammo 9mm TulAmmo FMJ 115 Grain 900 Round Can Made in Russia 1150 fps Steel Cased Polymer coated.

IIRC, the main difference between the Gen 3 & Gen 4 Glocks is the changeable backstrap on the grip.

hth

I was just in the market for a new 9mm as well. I went with the Glock 19 with the rough texture frame (which I turned into a smooth texture frame with a fine grit sandpaper).

$500 for the gun
$50 for leather blackhawk holster
$25 for 20 rounds of hydroshock
$300 for lasermax guiderod laser
$100 for Tritium fiber optic tru glo sights
$35 for extended slide and mag release (switch custom fitted to frame)
$75 for tax, shipping, and labor

So for about $1100 I got a nice tricked out Glock with all the cool accessories for the same price as something like an H&K 9mm. The other pistols you listed are nice too. Although if having an extra two rounds is a big deal for you just get a Glock 17 (full size like SR9) instead of a 19 (compact).

Last edited:
I'll go with the glock 19. It is my favorite pistol ever. Small enough to carry, big enough to shoot a lot of rounds comfortably, super reliable, and really easy to maintain.

for home defense I suggest a revolver as you can keep it loaded at all times, so its ready to go when you need it

I'm not sure why you would be comfortable keeping a revolver loaded but not a semi?? I keep all my guns around the house that I "might" need to use for self-defense fully loaded and chambered at all times. I don't have kids and want to be able to grab it in a hurry and know that it will go bang when I pull the trigger (another reason I prefer guns w/out safeties).

I carry a revolver (lcr) because it is tiny and easy to conceal... but imho, for home defense, a semi-auto pistol is a lot better (a tactical shotgun or ar15 is best imho). More rounds (15+- as opposed to just 5 or 6) and a lot quicker to reload. I also personally find semis a lot easier to shoot than I do revolvers (have a laser on my lcr so it isn't as much of an issue).

^^^If you have an LCR but you like semi autos, you should get an LCP. I have one and it is so slim and easy to carry I almost forget I'm carrying a gun.

Have you shot all three of the guns you listed yet?

If not, I highly recomend you find a gun range that rents guns and try them all out and pick the one that you feel the most comfortable with.

I'll go with the glock 19. It is my favorite pistol ever. Small enough to carry, big enough to shoot a lot of rounds comfortably, super reliable, and really easy to maintain.

While i'm a Sig-Sauer (P226) and HK (USP Compact) man myself. The Glock 19 really is one of the best all around pistols ever made. I used to have 17 (Fullsize version of the 19), and it was a great pistol, accurate, reliable, and east to maintain. Magazines are also fairly cheap, and everone carries them.

So yeah, out of the pistols you listed get the 19 and don't look back. The M&P is also a nice pistol, but its really hard to beat Glock's track record. As for the Ruger, have they issued a recall for it yet?

Back