Another 'I'm buying my first pistol 'thread. Any advice?

As others have said, you're looking at a strawman purchase. Plus, I don't think they'll let you buy there since you don't have a military ID card. Just getting on base is a pain these days if you're a civilian.

No, it's not. Straw purchase is if you buy for someone who can't legally get it.

No, it's not. Straw purchase is if you buy for someone who can't legally get it.

+1

As long as you are legal to own the gun, I don't think it will be a problem. I don't believe there is a difference between him buying it and selling it to you 1-2 days later... versus selling you a gun after owning it for 5 years. You can legally purchase a fire-arm from an individual w/out a background check/etc.

"Straw man" is when you are not legal to own a gun (felony record, under age, etc)... and thus won't pass the background check... so you have someone go buy it for you. In this case both you and the "straw man" buyer could get in a lot of trouble.

By the way, if you live in Las Vegas, I'm selling a DPMS "The Agency" Panther Carbine for $2k

dpms_agency.jpg

Wrong. The Feds don't see it that way, if you are buying for someone else (whether they can legally buy or not) is a straw purchase. If NinjaBlack gives money to his friend to buy it, it's a strawman purchase.

By the way, if you live in Las Vegas, I'm selling a DPMS "The Agency" Panther Carbine for $2k

dpms_agency.jpg

Holy Crap.

2k for DPMS, really?

You can get a colt/dd/bcm in that range with money left over for a better optic in a larue mount with coin left for a better light mount and possible a free float rail.

Unless the market for rifles is that much vastly different than the rest of the country.

Holy Crap.

2k for DPMS, really?

You can get a colt/dd/bcm in that range with money left over for a better optic in a larue mount with coin left for a better light mount and possible a free float rail.

Unless the market for rifles is that much vastly different than the rest of the country.

It's their top of the line model that retails for over $2k and I have added various upgrades. I already have a buyer, pending funds.

I'm not a fan of DPMS, though. I just bought it for the heck of it and didn't last too long til it got out of my rotation.

dpms_agency.jpg

Thanks for the link earlier, I registered and posted a thread regarding a basic safety class. Yes, I live here, but it was hard enough for me to save $550 from my budget to get the m&p haha.

The gun is ordered and paid for. All I need now is to wait for it to arrive, pay the transfer fees, fill out the background check information then be on my way. Should take about 2 weeks :-/

Should be fine to shoot right out of the box...

That site is the cheapest way to buy guns. In the private sales section, at least.

Should be fine to shoot right out of the box...

This looks like a question.

I would recommend field stripping it, wiping the grease they pack them with out and lubing it per the manual's instructions.

The first part is also a good way to get familiar with what you will be firing.

You could shoot it out of the box if you really wanted to though.

This looks like a question.

I would recommend field stripping it, wiping the grease they pack them with out and lubing it per the manual's instructions.

The first part is also a good way to get familiar with what you will be firing.

You could shoot it out of the box if you really wanted to though.

It wasn't a question but thanks for answering. I found someone here who teaches CCW classes and they agreed to show me the basics of safety/cleaning/maintenance. I figured as soon as I have the gun in my posession I would set something up with them ASAP before I ever actually fire the gun. Then the gun would be clean and ready to go... and I will gain some important knowledge.

Thanks again WorldofWarcraft for the link, Everyone on that forum has been very helpful and there is a TON of useful information for me.

It wasn't a question but thanks for answering. I found someone here who teaches CCW classes and they agreed to show me the basics of safety/cleaning/maintenance. I figured as soon as I have the gun in my posession I would set something up with them ASAP before I ever actually fire the gun. Then the gun would be clean and ready to go... and I will gain some important knowledge.

Thanks again WorldofWarcraft for the link, Everyone on that forum has been very helpful and there is a TON of useful information for me.

You can probably check out youtube vids to do disassemble and lube. Just make triple sure it's unloaded in the chamber and mag out.

lube.jpg

Or if you are real lazy about it, don't even have to disassemble.

With the slide forward- A drop or two on the barrel hood, on the corner where it mates with the slide (shown in pic as # 7), rack a couple times.

With the slide locked back and pistol facing down- a couple drops down each slide rail and wait a minute for the oil to run down. Rack a dozen times. This should get all the frame rails.

And also lube the front outside portion of the barrel shown in that pic as # 6.

You only miss the trigger bar/sear contact area (# 3) lubing like this, but that's not really a high wearing surface and should be fine for a bit.

Useful for "in the field/on the run" quick lube too!

Last edited:
Welp finally got through the process. The gun is now in my posession

It isn't as rouch as it looks in the picture, but is this average wear for a brand new gun? It's never been fired and I don't plan on firing it until cleaning and a basic safety class, but is this an indication that there could be a problem?

24qn1xv.jpg

I just took a look at my M&P and it looks exactly the same. I am pretty sure that that is not an actual wear point because if you put the slide back on while looking from the back you can see numerous parts of the gun that protrude much more than that.

I wouldn't worry about it, I think for whatever reason the finish is not completely done in that area.

Looks normal, that part of the slide on my Glock 21 is shiny, it contacts another part on the bottom receiver when the slide is back.

Go shoot it, it'll be fine.

Oh, and your gun has been fired. They're test fired at the factory.

Oh, and your gun has been fired. They're test fired at the factory.

Well, yeah they gave me the caseing... I was just sketchy of ordering online and my concern was that if the gun had some wear then maybe I had paid full price for a used gun. According to the internet, that's not the case; I'm worrying for nothing.

Hey mate, how you going? Down-under gun laws are very strict but certain professions give you the opportunity to use these toys. I use the Glock 19 and love it! It's a compact little beast, with plenty of grunt and they're so damn reliable. Works for me mate!

Back