Another 'I'm buying my first pistol 'thread. Any advice?

M&P 9c or 40c? My 40c has the same wear inside the slide as well.

Has kick too. How is the trigger pull? Some M&Ps have a nice clean break while others are kinda gritty. Mine was kinda on the gritty side. After about 500 rounds, it was more fluid.

I am probably gonna sell my 40c and Sigma and get a FS M&P45. I am not really a fan of compacts.

Cleaning is a sinch, man.

The lubing image 00buck posted is pretty much standard. I tend to lube the barrel notches, the trigger spring and the outside of my slide as well though. Sparingly.

For my HK and M&P 40 barrels, I normally use a rod with a 9mm used brush and wrap a patch around it, spray with M-Pro 7 and put it through the barrel in and out about 6 times. Then use a 40cal brush, spray with M-Pro 7, in and out about 6 times. Then, depending on how many rounds I put through, I either repeat the first step over or go to a clean patch around the 9mm brush. Normally repeat the whole thing twice. M-Pro 7 does a killer job.

I normally use Gun Scrubber aerosol (quick drying) for the inside of my slides. Good for blasting away residue and then you have the brush for the crevices.

I'll use "cocked" so this will make sense for you.

I would assume most people carry their Glocks, XD, Kahr, M&P's, SR9's with one in the chamber, I do. This means the gun will fire if you pull the trigger but you should never have your finger on the trigger at any points besides on target and ready to fire. You can't really carry one in the chamber, you +1 and have it uncocked since the loading one in the chamber will cock the gun.

Most people I know who carry single action pistols, 1911's for the most part, carry them round the in chamber, cocked and locked (safety on).

my HK was always cocked and locked until I decided to switch from V1 to V2 control lever (switching from left to right of the gun). Now I carry double action with safety off.

my HK was always cocked and locked until I decided to switch from V1 to V2 control lever (switching from left to right of the gun). Now I carry double action with safety off.

Assuming your gun is a DA/SA, that all makes sense. None of the guns I listed are though.

Assuming your gun is a DA/SA, that all makes sense. None of the guns I listed are though.

I know. But you were mentioning different types of carrying modes, so I figure I'd chime in. lol.

With striker fire handguns, I've always used the philosophy that chambering of the round puts the handgun into somewhat of a single action mode but with a double action trigger pull.

I know. But you were mentioning different types of carrying modes, so I figure I'd chime in. lol.

With striker fire handguns, I've always used the philosophy that chambering of the round puts the handgun into somewhat of a single action mode but with a double action trigger pull.

I think I was tailoring my answer to him but I understand where you were going. If I had a DA/SA, I would carry hammer down with a round in the chamber. Long pull is easier for me than sweeping the safety.

Grats on your pistol.

Was going to suggest checking out the SIG range but anyhow enjoy!

Update: I put 80 rounds through it yesterday. Worked flawlessly and I think I've gotten the hang of cleaning and lubricating everything. So far so good.

Trigger is gritty but it doesn't bother me much; Not like I have another pistol to compare it to.

Typically I have been shooting low. I am something like 5/10 (paper plate) from 7 yards and 3/10 from 10 yards. Not bad... With some practice I can only get better.

Last edited:
Bought my Ruger SR9C a few weeks ago and just shot it today. The trigger on it is smooth and light (better than M&P and Glock imo). Plus, I only paid $399 for it.

Last edited:
I hated S7W up until yesterday. I walked into the gun shop for a used glock 17 for 450. Walked out with a NEW M&P9 (full size) for 484. It seems to me that S7W took all the complaints about glocks and made a very nice, affordable alternative. I will be putting a few hundred rounds through it (and my new Saiga) Sunday and will report back my findings.
yeah, I know this thread is old, but I found it by searching for "m&p 9".
EDIT: The reason I went with a 9mm is my wife also pruchased a M&p 9c for herself.
Also for those that don't like the trigger of the M&P, you should try to M&P pro. It has a upgraded trigger and sights (either "tru glo" or night sites depending what you want).

Last edited:
I hated S7W up until yesterday. I walked into the gun shop for a used glock 17 for 450. Walked out with a NEW M&P9 (full size) for 484. It seems to me that S7W took all the complaints about glocks and made a very nice, affordable alternative. I will be putting a few hundred rounds through it (and my new Saiga) Sunday and will report back my findings.
yeah, I know this thread is old, but I found it by searching for "m&p 9".
EDIT: The reason I went with a 9mm is my wife also pruchased a M&p 9c for herself.
Also for those that don't like the trigger of the M&P, you should try to M&P pro. It has a upgraded trigger and sights (either "tru glo" or night sites depending what you want).

Congrats on the new gun. I have always been curious about the M&P pro due to the trigger weight. It lists at 4-5.5lbs. I am fine with 5.5lbs but 4lbs is a bit light for me to carry a gun with no safety.

I guess it all depends on the travel to, if it's still a long pull or not.

There's also the M&P Thumb Safety model, Fury. I thought the same before I bought an XD45 as my first duty pistol, then found the thumb safety model.

Congrats on the new gun. I have always been curious about the M&P pro due to the trigger weight. It lists at 4-5.5lbs. I am fine with 5.5lbs but 4lbs is a bit light for me to carry a gun with no safety.

I guess it all depends on the travel to, if it's still a long pull or not.

I like a long stiff trigger on self defense weapons. I want my wife to know she is pulling the trigger. No matter how much training and practice one will still be nervous if there ever comes a time, and I don't want an accidental discharge. The non-pro version has a nice self defense trigger pull. The good thing is if I decide I don't like the trigger I can upgrade it for less than a hundred bucks.

There's also the M&P Thumb Safety model, Fury. I thought the same before I bought an XD45 as my first duty pistol, then found the thumb safety model.

I only do thumb safety's on 1911's, Highpowers and CZ's (only the single action cz's)

I like a long stiff trigger on self defense weapons. I want my wife to know she is pulling the trigger. No matter how much training and practice one will still be nervous if there ever comes a time, and I don't want an accidental discharge. The non-pro version has a nice self defense trigger pull. The good thing is if I decide I don't like the trigger I can upgrade it for less than a hundred bucks.

I hear you, my Kahr's triggers are light (not 4lbs light) but long. Of course Glock's have an easy trigger for self defense...enough travel to know you are pulling it, then the 5.5lb break comes at once. Pretty easy to stage.

Back