Another Reason to Hate Millennials - Rated Worst Tippers

Scerpi

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
https://finance.yahoo.com/news/millennials-worst-tippers-survey-says-120422248.html

This is so great. It completely explains why there are so many "Tipping" threads on this site... with people trying to justify their cheapness and attempting to rally more posters to their side to help ease their self loathing, which is already soul crushing. Even better is the significant percentage of millennials who don't tip at all.

I love the rational.

For the most part, they're broke. Cool Story Bro, way to pass on your misery to the Server you just fucked, who's probably also a millennial.

You know what I didn't do when I was a struggling 20 something, trying to work through college and get my career started.

Eat out on a regular basis.

BUT, what kills me even more is that later in the article, millennials say would prefer to "Pay More" for their food or services instead of tip. I've heard this bounced around before and it makes no fucking sense. The Tip is the reward/motivation for someone to provide good service. Whether it's a shoe shine, serving food or giving a ride. If the tip is already included, when the service is shitty, you still have to still pay the same amount...

Is it just sheer laziness on their part that they don't want to tip separately? Is math that hard? Seriously, help me understand this.

Last edited:
Not surprised. Millennials are rubbish. Capital punishment, imo.

Not a server so don't give a fire crew checky in
Also, millennial crew checky in

Tips are stupid. Businesses should pay their servers adequate wages. Subsidizing their overhead because they're too miserly to pay it themselves should be made obsolete.

As you get older and accumulate more wealth, you tip more. This is a crazy study TS.

When is the cut off?

Im catagorized one i think. None of my friends tip shitty.. If i hang around someone who does it makes me like them less. Girls can get away with it, if your a dude that doesnt tip you deserve a cock in the ass. You are a little bitch at that point

Tips are stupid. Businesses should pay their servers adequate wages. Subsidizing their overhead because they're too miserly to pay it themselves should be made obsolete.
This. It's funny how restaurant owners have succeeded in not only pinning it on customers to subsidize a server's wage so they can pay them a shit wage, but have been able to guilt the customer to do so as well.

Current server mentality: I didn't get a tip, that paying customer is cheap how am I going to pay my bills?

Proper server mentality: My boss doesn't pay me a livable wage, I should ask for a raise or find a better paying job.

I always find it humorous how the paying customer is expected to make up for the owner's cheapness. Nobody ever calls the owner cheap, just those who don't tip, or don't tip enough. For the record I always tip 15-20% assuming the service and food is acceptable. I just can't get over how servers put 100% of the blame on the customer and not the owner.

This. It's funny how restaurant owners have succeeded in not only pinning it on customers to subsidize a server's wage so they can pay them a shit wage, but have been able to guilt the customer to do so as well.

Current server mentality: I didn't get a tip, that paying customer is cheap how am I going to pay my bills?

Proper server mentality: My boss doesn't pay me a livable wage, I should ask for a raise or find a better paying job.

I always find it humorous how the paying customer is expected to make up for the owner's cheapness. Nobody ever calls the owner cheap, just those who don't tip, or don't tip enough. For the record I always tip 15-20% assuming the service and food is acceptable. I just can't get over how servers put 100% of the blame on the customer and not the owner.
You are ignorant in the topic. That isnt an insult, you just clearly dont know much about the industry.

I do, and its not by choice. I didnt go to school and ive never had a job that isnt in a restaurant.

Unless the restaurant is busy as hell 24-7 they arent making the money to
Pay 20 people 7 more dollars each hour. Youd be paying more for the food and it wouldnt be an option.

I will agree with you, very sucessful restaurants that are making enough to open multiple locations and such should pay minimum wage. If you can open another store you can pay your staff

This isnt gonna change. This is poor people problems. You cant afford to tip go to the damn grocery store. You straight up get clowned on where i work for that shit. If i was still a waiter and you stiffed me on the wrong day i honestly could have slit your throat in the parking lot. Such a fucked up thing to do

Last edited:
Good. Down with tipping. Your service and food should be impeccable and I shouldn't have to pay your salary because your boss/franchise owner are a bunch of cheap cunts. Fuck tipping right in its asshole.

Million dollar question - is waitressing dominated by white people?

Americans with their tipping, yards, miles, acres and whatnot.

<36>

I keep getting yelled at by my peers when I tip. Mostly because when I tip with the card, I tip to the exact cent. If 20% is 3.15, I'll put 3.15, not round up to $4.

Also, 15-20% is the range I grew up on, yet now my friends will give me a dirty look if I try to tip only 20% even on a mediocre server. Dafuq?

You are ignorant in the topic. That isnt an insult, you just clearly dont know much about the industry.

I do, and its not by choice. I didnt go to school and ive never had a job that isnt in a restaurant.

Unless the restaurant is busy as hell 24-7 they arent making the money to
Pay 20 people 7 more dollars each hour. Youd be paying more for the food and it wouldnt be an option.

I will agree with you, very sucessful restaurants that are making enough to open multiple locations and such should pay minimum wage. If you can open another store you can pay your staff

This isnt gonna change. This is poor people problems. You cant afford to tip go to the damn grocery store. You straight up get clowned on where i work for that shit. If i was still a waiter and you stiffed me on the wrong day i honestly could have slit your throat in the parking lot. Such a fucked up thing to do

Then put it on the back end of the food, that's not a good argument.

Fixed costs will always be preferable to the arbitrary ass nature of tipping, and nothing is going to change that.

Cry me a river, shame me about it, but your employer is stiffing the fuck out of you. They don't need us to play defense for their profit margins.

Good god. How does one even respond to that lol.

Back