Antarctica Melting 3x Faster Than We Thought

you're silly then.
Explain to me the relevance of best agricultural practices for preserving top soil to a discussion of using ice core delta-18O for temperature data contemporaneous to ice core carbon dioxide versus using satellite and thermometer temperature data.

Explain to me the relevance of best agricultural practices for preserving top soil to a discussion of using ice core delta-18O for temperature data contemporaneous to ice core carbon dioxide versus using satellite and thermometer temperature data.

the dust bowl wouldnt be called the dust bowl without the destruction of top soil. had it remained grassland....no one would have much of a comment on the time period. the seed drill and land rush mattered.

the dust bowl wouldnt be called the dust bowl without the destruction of top soil. had it remained grassland....no one would have much of a comment on the time period. the seed drill and land rush mattered.
And so this leads you to choose which for temperature data to present along with carbon dioxide from ice core data?:

a) delta-18O data

b) satellite and thermometer temperature data

And so this leads you to choose which for temperature data to present along with carbon dioxide from ice core data?:

a) delta-18O data

b) satellite and thermometer temperature data

over my head i guess. so agricultural practices have nothing to do with the dust bowl still? cool.

over my head i guess. so agricultural practices have nothing to do with the dust bowl still? cool.
I agree that the discussion you are attempting to enter is presently over your head. Perhaps, if you re-read then you will see that this discussion started with the question of what it would take to prove AGW and led to declaring a preference for delta-18O versus satellite and ground surface temperature measurement.

I do not agree with this statement that you are trying to attribute to me: "so agricultural practices have nothing to do with the dust bowl still?"

Last edited:
Perhaps, if you re-read then you will see that this discussion started with the question of what it would take to prove AGW and lead to declaring a preference for delta-18O versus satellite and ground surface temperature measurement.

no. not mine.

I do not agree with this statement that you are trying to attribute to me: "so agricultural practices have nothing to do with the dust bowl still?"

lol. ok. you win. you said nothing about ag. good day.

The rate of Antarctic ice melt has tripled in the past five years, with more than 200 billion tons of ice flooding into oceans annually, according to new research.

If melting continues at this pace, we could expect an extra 6 inches of sea level rise by 2100 on top of present projections.

http://www.wired.co.uk/article/climate-change-news-antarctica-ice-melting-faster-global-warming

So, if anyone still cares about stuff like science or climate change... it's still there.

It's probably 96 times faster and the only way to stop it is money to the government.

What happened to those last sea level rises that were predicted?

Lol.

giphy.gif

the last ice age happened because those dinosaurs didnt understand their carbon footprint.

This is bad really really bad, I don't care what your stand in the current Man made climate change debate, but once shit started melting we are in deep shit!

The earth has been much hotter than the present in the past, and will continue to heat up after we reduce green house gasses. This is not a political problem. It is an inevitable problem that should be addressed logically.

This is true of course. What's also true is that the species we directly evolved from were not around in large numbers to experience it.

Global warming and the human contribution to it is real and can not be disputed. The one thing that we just don't know is how hot it will eventually get and the degree to which our environment will change. Our species will live through it most likely. But it's going to be a mess.

What we do know, for sure, it that damn near half the planets population lives within 100km of the worlds coastlines, which represent only about 4% of the planets land mass. These are the places that will be most effected.

We don't how soon or how big it will be, but one thing is certain. At some point in the not to distant future the largest migration of any species in earths history will be underway. And you are right that humans are not dealing with it logically. If we were, we would be evacuating Puerto Rico instead of rebuilding it.

What happened to those last sea level rises that were predicted?

Lol.

What- 1/8 of an inch per year and speeding up is not good enough for you? This is not a bathtub. We are talking about a fucking planet here.

400px-Evolution-of-GMSL-time-series-from-six-different-groups%E2%80%99.jpg

And it not just the sea level rise. It's the nuisance flooding that comes with it.

What makes this prospect terrifying for me is that we don't know enough about how we should expect this to affect the ocean-to-human food chain- where is the tipping point? Do we lose species slowly, or very suddenly? The sea level rise we can deal with- it will come at a tremendous cost in terms of lives labor and money, but we will deal with it. But we won't deal with the loss of fish. We'll just die by the billion.
Speak for yourself I know exactly what to expect

waterworld-2_1280x720.jpg

What- 1/8 of an inch per year and speeding up is not good enough for you? This is not a bathtub. We are talking about a fucking planet here.

400px-Evolution-of-GMSL-time-series-from-six-different-groups%E2%80%99.jpg

And it not just the sea level rise. It's the nuisance flooding that comes with it.

I know, my point though is that the timelines have been grossly exaggerated in the past.

Back