Anthony Bourdain is a Coward

Not every human being is the same person. They are all unique. What is easy for one may be difficult for another. Not everyone is playing with the same hand.

Yep, some people are just weak.

Survival of the fittest is how society evolves.

Cliffs:
  • He had an 11-year old daughter
  • Lived a life of hedonism
  • Suicide, when you have family members that love you, is ultimate cowardice.

depression is not being sad.

major depressive disorder, and other depressive pathologies, are characterized largely by irrational thinking. thats why people with seemingly great lives can feel so shitty about them. so contrary to popular belief (in america), it isnt simply a matter of stoically WILLING your way through.

and people like this have such low self worth, id imagine many of them believe their families, and kids, would often times be better without them.

one thing is for sure, shaming people with major depressive disorder is not going to help the situation.

depression is not being sad.

major depressive disorder, and other depressive pathologies, are characterized largely by irrational thinking. thats why people with seemingly great lives can feel so shitty about them. so contrary to popular belief (in america), it isnt simply a matter of stoically WILLING your way through.

and people like this have such low self worth, id imagine many of them believe their families, and kids, would often times be better without them.

one thing is for sure, shaming people with major depressive disorder is not going to help the situation.

Neither is accepting the nihilist approach of there is simply nothing they can do and it shouldn't be shamed.

Tldw.

Unless you've experienced depression and suicidal ideation, you can fuck off.

@abiG, you are demented bringing a completely irrelevant issue into this thread.
What's your problem? Some asshole posts a thread calling a man who is dead a coward. Ironic, no?

I simply posted what the MSM here cannot or will not. This is because it shows what a real humanitarian the man was. How he went out of his way to improve the lives of complete strangers on the other side of the world. He did this because he wanted to.

He brought hope to a place where there is none. He touched those peoples' lives. Sorry he did this for your sworn enemies, wait, no I'm not.

Oh, and there's more:
“Once you’ve been to Cambodia, you’ll never stop wanting to beat Henry Kissinger to death with your bare hands. You will never again be able to open a newspaper and read about that treacherous, prevaricating, murderous scumbag sitting down for a nice chat with Charlie Rose or attending some black-tie affair for a new glossy magazine without choking.”
--A Cook's tour, after his trip to Cambodia

Does this sound like something a coward would say?

His management and agency.

So he wasn't fired. The people he hired didn't want to work for him anymore lol.

And he definitely decided to try and become an right wing comedian. Don't know if that pivot was before or after this. But he was never that good to begin with.

Which is why nobody here knew who he was

60+ years on this planet is plenty enough. Better to go out while people still remember you for who you were.

We cling onto life too desperately in these times. The idea of someone just taking themselves "out of the game" scares us, especially when they're in possession of all that we seemingly desire out of our lives.

We start to despise them, because they force us to question whether it is all worthwhile in the end.
Well i think it’s a selfish thing to do when you bring a child into the world & then choose not to be there for them & help raise them because you would rather end your life

You are right about all of it except the willing your way through it

Its a disease and will is the only treatment for it
when you loose your will you die

This pessimistic view of live and this attitude of "once you get depressed, there is nothing to can do to not kill yourself" is exactly why suicides are up 33%.

this isnt really the type of thing you should measure with percentages...like murders. why? because people in general, are likely up 33% from the time you pulled that stat out of your ass. more people. more suicides. more ice creams eaten. more shits taken. etc etc etc

and i dont think a single person on here is attempting to excuse suicide. some are asking people to understand what depressive pathologies are. theyre diseases, just like schizophrenia. just like diabetes. you could survive them, and overcome them, or they could take you out. its not as simple as people being sad a lot.

You guys are giving passes to people who selfishly end their own lives. And Fuck outta here with this "You don't understand depression" bullshit, A friend of mines had 70% of his body burned in war and lost his limbs. He continues to live his life to the fullest and refuses to admit to the "woe is me" mentality. You guys are simply pussies.

youre saying this because you assume, "my friend should have been really sad, but he wasnt." youre right. good on your friend. but thats not what depression is.

Neither is accepting the nihilist approach of there is simply nothing they can do and it shouldn't be shamed.

stop making assumptions about what i believe. im not a F'ing nihilist lol. im CERTAINLY not suggesting that there is nothing that can be done.

cognitive behavior therapy has been shown to work really well. various types of controlled meditation. exercise (though bourdain is pretty well known to be active in bjj).

but that all depends on the type of depression. if you have bipolarity, no one has really shown an empirically validated treatment for that other than pills. if something like borderline personality disorder is the cause of your depression, youre in pretty deep shit. i dont know bourdain's diagnosis, if he even ever bothered to get one.

hello there Judge,

if you believe life is precious and unique and happens only once (i don't know if Bourdain wrote about this, but he strikes me as a "agnostic verging on atheism" sort of fellow) - then i think it takes quite a bit of courage to leap into the void.

its the end, afterall, and there is nothing after that.

i'd be afraid of that kind of thing.

- IGIT

definition of coward - "a person who lacks the courage to do or endure dangerous or unpleasant things."
It fits. It holds water.

And like I know you wasted a bit of your time making up and posting that nonsense. Sorry I had to teabag that shit with a simple EXPLANATION of what words mean. Dictionary FTW!!!

You mad bro? Why so judgemental?

Did my words calm down your butthurt. If so, the first session if free the next one you got to pay for.

Is that what you think being 60 is? Jesus Christ, you people are pathetic.

60, to many people, especially to a man like Bourdain who "lived the life", heroin addictions and all, is the last point of when he's truly the man he used to be. When he's without constant pain which may reduce him to doing the same thing that used to determine his life, relying on opiates to "cling on". Everything beyond that is just a gradual decline. Not everyone wishes to descend to nothingness. They'd prefer to meet it "head on" at their highest point, when they're still strong enough to respect themselves.

To chastise an old man for making a personal choice is ridiculous. There are men and women, between 15 to 25 years old, who kill themselves. Those are the people you should worry about. Not an old man like Bourdain. He apparently had enough, and to me, that's fair enough.

My grandfather's brother was diagnosed with cancer into his old age. He took matters into his own hands and killed himself with a shotgun, after spending the day out in the solitary quietness of nature. Was he a coward? Absolutely not. He had done enough at that point, to prove that he was pretty far from that.

Others judged him for what he did, wished that he had just "clinged on", not for himself, but for them. To keep suffering, to alleviate their own pain and sense of loss. But he was past the point of judgment. So is Bourdain.

A man over 60 years old, has surely earned the right to choose the date of his own death.
{<doc}

What in the fuck?

I suppose you've never been to an elderly care, or a mental ward? Well, I have been. In many cases, people will live respectfully to old age. But lets not pretend as if every person gets to do that. In some cases, death would've been preferable.

I've seen people beyond their 80's, completely forgotten by the society, their sons and daughters dead, or elderly themselves, their grandsons having long since "moved on". Nobody to remember them, nobody to mourn. These people fade out alone, and are buried alone.

I reckon most people, certainly, would prefer to die when still surrounded by their family, when still remembered by others.

Last edited:
For people that don't know Owen Benjamin is a struggling comedian who recently decided that he was going to become a "right wing" comedian to try and get some traction.

He's been to several JRE episodes. I guess he wasn't granted the Rogan blessing like TFATK and Theo Von who are blowing up and instead went with the Crowder route. I do enjoy his piano playing with his mom while they dissect liberal bs.

Nothing is braver than giving up forever. Makes sense.

While I personally agree that giving up is not brave, not everyone shares a world view that sees suicide as giving up.

There are some that don't see death as a bad thing, for instance. Take Tolstoy who wrote that life is evil and meaningless and that to drag on such a life is an act of weakness, not bravery. Which is to say that through this perspective, it's simply a rational decision which may take some courage to complete. These people and others may reach the conclusion that the best way forward is to end one's life and I'm not saying I agree with their philosophy or decision, but I can acknowledge, however wrong I think they are, that their decision may not necessarily be rooted in cowardice, and sometimes it's the contrary.

hi again Judge,

definition of coward - "a person who lacks the courage to do or endure dangerous or unpleasant things."
It fits. It holds water.

And like I know you wasted a bit of your time making up and posting that nonsense. Sorry I had to teabag that shit with a simple EXPLANATION of what words mean. Dictionary FTW!!!

hmmmf.

i disagree with you, as i believe it takes great courage to face the void and walk into it. Bourdain had faced enough physical danger in his life that i don't really question his courage.

are you alright, though?

you seem very feisty.

- IGIT

Just a personal story but take it for what it's worth. Back about 10 years ago I was 14 15 or so, still living at home. Hadn't eaten in 2 or 3 days, pretty sure I waa dehydrated as well and got into a huge fight with my dad, who is one fucked up dude in his own right.

One thing led to another and I wound up swallowing 80 or so ativans and about 15 xanax as an irrational decision, I wasn't depressed or suicidal, I wasnt thinking straight because I was hungry and dehydrated. Last thing I remembered was them making me drink this charcoal shit and wanting to put a catheter up my dink which I refused, told me to try to pee and I did and I passed out after.

Woke up a few hours later in a hospital bed. Wound up spending whatever the mandatory is in the hospital, had me talking to psychologists taking all kinds of different pills for the few days. I basically explained to them what had happened, how I made an irrational decision and how I hadn't eaten in days prior to what had happened, how I didnt believe i was thinking straight and how one thing led to another. The psychologist psychiatrist whatever asked me a bunch of questions, I answered them, think they got me to fill out some form cant quite remember all the details.

They let me out the next day and I haven't done anything or the thoughts even crossed my mind, not neccesarily a depressed person before or after. Still think it was a stupid selfish decision to this day and doubt I ever would've done it if I was thinkin straight.

All of this just leads me to wonder if alot of suicides, especially from people who don't neccesarily come off as depressed are just a perfect storm. Could've been a long day, dehydrated exhausted just not thinking clearly, get into a serious fight with your wife find out she's cheating or whatever it may be and make an irrational decision in the moment that you can never take back, that you otherwise wouldn't make under normal circumstances.

He 100% nailed it.

Anyone remember back when suicide was thought to be 'the cowards way out?'

Perhaps if suicide wasn't romanticized as it has been in recent history, and viewed as an act of selfish abandonment of all friends and family, there'd be fewer suicides.
It is the cowards way out with few exceptions. You have a terminal disease and don't want to sit through months of torture, you get a pass.

Back