Anthony Bourdain is a Coward

If you don't know anything about mental illness, maybe stop talking about it.

This pessimistic view of live and this attitude of "once you get depressed, there is nothing to can do to not kill yourself" is exactly why suicides are up 33%. You guys are giving passes to people who selfishly end their own lives. And Fuck outta here with this "You don't understand depression" bullshit, A friend of mines had 70% of his body burned in war and lost his limbs. He continues to live his life to the fullest and refuses to admit to the "woe is me" mentality. You guys are simply pussies.
Ok, God. Thanks for blessing us with your ultimate wisdom.

60+ years on this planet is plenty enough. Better to go out while people still remember you for who you were.

We cling onto life too desperately in these times. The idea of someone just taking themselves "out of the game" scares us, especially when they're in possession of all that we seemingly desire out of our lives.

We start to despise them, because they force us to question whether it is all worthwhile in the end.

Finnish people, :facepalm:

Do you think in a society where everyone is super excepting of it is likely to have more or less suicide ?

I wonder what the suicide rates look like at the moment do you know ?
Society isn't even a little bit accepting of mental illness, much less suicide.

I suppose you've never been to an elderly care

If all you are subjected to is shitty family then I suppose that's your view point.

My grandmother in California moved into one last year because of spine issues. Her daughter(my aunt) visits her nearly everyday, some of my cousins that are close visit a couple times a month as well. Before she moved into one she lived in AZ. Her son(my father) visited her multiple times a week, I would usually go once a week, bring her some food and then watch a movie after. Her daughter(one that visits her often now) would call almost daily.

My other grandparents live here in AZ as well. They are in their early 80's. Grandpa goes golfing 2-3 times a week, they hike once a week when it's not hot af and they do multiple other activities with friends throughout the week. I see them 1-2 times a month.

Everything beyond that is just a gradual decline. Not everyone wishes to descend to nothingness.

Your cancer story is not comparable at all to Anthony Bourdain and your posts are a pathetic outlook on life.

It is the cowards way out with few exceptions. You have a terminal disease and don't want to sit through months of torture, you get a pass.

True.

But jesus christ, don't fucking hang yourself for a loved one to find.

At the very damn least, just OD on perscription pills. Its painless and at least friends & family can say it was accidental.

You know I watched it setting out to disagree with him but I do think he has a point even if he's overdoing it. I get that depression is nothing to scoff at but if you do have a dependent I think its a different story. I don't even have a dependent but I remember during the one time in my life I had serious suicidal thoughts one of the things that brought me from the edge was thinking about my family and how it would make them feel. Also thought about the poor schmuck who would see me splat on the ground since I was contemplating jumping off a building. And as someone who has had someone in my family threaten to kill themselves in front of you I get his anger about that too.

Not saying he's right to completely shit on Bourdain though, a little sensitivity is warranted nonetheless. And I also disagree that people with horrible terminal illnesses are in the same category, I definitely get suicide in their case. Remember hearing about Rousey's dad and how, when he found out he would physically degenerate until death, he didn't want his kids to see him in a weak and pathetic state and that he'd prefer they remember him as he was. Its a sad, tough thing to grapple with and I don't feel right to judge.

Finnish people, :facepalm:

Don't you boast about being a Russian? Are there any more of a melancholic and nihilistic people in the world, than the Russians? Most Russian men die in their 60's.

Should I feel sorry for them, or to feel that they are cowards due to their high suicide rate? Nah. I get it. It's a tough world. Sometimes people have had enough of it.

In me, there is no feelings of pity or shame towards those who have died. I see it as a biological inevitability.

hes right about some of it and wrong about some of it, id call it a wash
but at least he seemingly believes what he is saying so +1 for having conviction

This pessimistic view of live and this attitude of "once you get depressed, there is nothing to can do to not kill yourself" is exactly why suicides are up 33%. You guys are giving passes to people who selfishly end their own lives. And Fuck outta here with this "You don't understand depression" bullshit, A friend of mines had 70% of his body burned in war and lost his limbs. He continues to live his life to the fullest and refuses to admit to the "woe is me" mentality. You guys are simply pussies.

Or your friend went through an ordeal and still doesn't suffer from clinical depression.

Whoop de fucking doo.

The only logical reasoning that I can think of is that Anthony learned that he only had a year left until Napa and Vegeta arrived on earth. So Kami teleported Anthony Bourdain to King Kai's place in order to learn the kaioken and the spirit bomb.

It's a very selfish, and mean thing to do, but I wouldn't necessarily say it's cowardly. Depends on the person, and what their life has been like up until that point.

While I personally agree that giving up is not brave, not everyone shares a world view that sees suicide as giving up.
No, right, killing yourself so you never do or experience anything again in the only life we are objectively known to have is not giving up.

Now, I agree that lots of people will say stupid shit but it doesn't make it true. Check out the articles on male pregnancy and sonograms.

hi again Judge,

hmmmf.

i disagree with you, as i believe it takes great courage to face the void and walk into it. Bourdain had faced enough physical danger in his life that i don't really question his courage.

are you alright, though?

you seem very feisty.

- IGIT

Again, he fits the definition. Sorry if you are butthurt I proved you wrong. You should take it as a chance to learn instead of post more stupid shit. I don't care what your definition of anything is. I care what the dictionary has beside those words.

Again, just in case you missed it
coward - "a person who lacks the courage to do or endure dangerous or unpleasant things."

I know it sucks being wrong. It used to happen to me before I found out what words meant.

Or your friend went through an ordeal and still doesn't suffer from clinical depression.

Whoop de fucking doo.
Even though it's a goddamn simple point, a lot of people can't grasp going through hard times =\= having clinical depression.

One time in an argument here some guy went on and on about how his dad died, and if he could get thru that depression is NBD. Hey my dad died too bud, and then I also have depression. It's not necessarily related to what you're going through currently in your life, I think that's just too much for people to grasp.

You are right about all of it except the willing your way through it

Its a disease and will is the only treatment for it
when you loose your will you die

you can overcome any depressive pathology except bipolarity. as treatments are now, you're sort of going to just have to manage its symptoms the rest of your life. you can rid yourself of dysthymia or major depressive disorder, though.

imo, will is important, but you also need a way to change your cognitive patterns. will alone isnt going to do that for most people.

Just a personal story but take it for what it's worth. Back about 10 years ago I was 14 15 or so, still living at home. Hadn't eaten in 2 or 3 days, pretty sure I waa dehydrated as well and got into a huge fight with my dad, who is one fucked up dude in his own right.

One thing led to another and I wound up swallowing 80 or so ativans and about 15 xanax as an irrational decision, I wasn't depressed or suicidal, I wasnt thinking straight because I was hungry and dehydrated. Last thing I remembered was them making me drink this charcoal shit and wanting to put a catheter up my dink which I refused, told me to try to pee and I did and I passed out after.

Woke up a few hours later in a hospital bed. Wound up spending whatever the mandatory is in the hospital, had me talking to psychologists taking all kinds of different pills for the few days. I basically explained to them what had happened, how I made an irrational decision and how I hadn't eaten in days prior to what had happened, how I didnt believe i was thinking straight and how one thing led to another. The psychologist psychiatrist whatever asked me a bunch of questions, I answered them, think they got me to fill out some form cant quite remember all the details.

They let me out the next day and I haven't done anything or the thoughts even crossed my mind, not neccesarily a depressed person before or after. Still think it was a stupid selfish decision to this day and doubt I ever would've done it if I was thinkin straight.

All of this just leads me to wonder if alot of suicides, especially from people who don't neccesarily come off as depressed are just a perfect storm. Could've been a long day, dehydrated exhausted just not thinking clearly, get into a serious fight with your wife find out she's cheating or whatever it may be and make an irrational decision in the moment that you can never take back, that you otherwise wouldn't make under normal circumstances.

Why did you not eat for 2-3 days?

If all you are subjected to is shitty family then I suppose that's your view point.

My grandmother in California moved into one last year because of spine issues. Her daughter(my aunt) visits her nearly everyday, some of my cousins that are close visit a couple times a month as well. Before she moved into one she lived in AZ. Her son(my father) visited her multiple times a week, I would usually go once a week, bring her some food and then watch a movie after. Her daughter(one that visits her often now) would call almost daily.

My other grandparents live here in AZ as well. They are in their early 80's. Grandpa goes golfing 2-3 times a week, they hike once a week when it's not hot af and they do multiple other activities with friends throughout the week. I see them 1-2 times a month.

As I said, many people live respectfully to their old age, not all people do. I do not feel pity nor shame towards those who don't get to live such a great life into their old age, surrounded by family and friends. I can see where the desire to end it comes from, even if it's not an impulse that I'm capable of possessing.

Your cancer story is not comparable at all to Anthony Bourdain and your posts are a pathetic outlook on life.

It's all the same. Bourdain may have been on the brink of "going back" to the man he was, the pitiful heroin addict who could not overcome his feelings of shame and self-loathing. More shame and self-loathing won't serve to bring him out of that abyss.

We really know nothing about it. We just guess.

My outlook is far from pathetic. I'd estimate that it takes far greater mental strength to live within the parameters that I've set for myself, than within the parameters that men commonly set for themselves, conjuring up feelings of shame, disgrace, disrespect, peer pressure, to prevent themselves from falling to their own weakness. I generally do not need that.

I would prefer that we can live because life is good and enjoyable, not because we're merely expected to. We've reached the point where our species is no longer existentially threatened, by a small loss of numbers. In many cases, we live long past the point of good sense.

Sounds harsh but I agree. If you have young children your life is no longer about you

No, right, killing yourself so you never do or experience anything again in the only life we are objectively known to have is not giving up.

Now, I agree that lots of people will say stupid shit but it doesn't make it true. Check out the articles on male pregnancy and sonograms.

Again, he fits the definition. Sorry if you are butthurt I proved you wrong. You should take it as a chance to learn instead of post more stupid shit. I don't care what your definition of anything is. I care what the dictionary has beside those words.

Again, just in case you missed it
coward - "a person who lacks the courage to do or endure dangerous or unpleasant things."

I know it sucks being wrong. It used to happen to me before I found out what words meant.

I don't know a thing about Bourdain or who he is, the only thing I know is that he had a show about food, if you want to argue that Bourdain is a coward, I can't even contest it.

What I was trying to convey is that cowardice and bravery is dependent on what one believes. Two people can do the same thing and it's cowardly for one and brave for the other.

Anyway, If these types of philosophical discussions don't interest you, you don't need to be an ass about it.

imo, will is important, but you also need a way to change your cognitive patterns. will alone isnt going to do that for most people.

I think will can do it for most if it is learned taught and practiced but I do agree that bipolar people are fucked.

Im not sure pill therapy is the be all end all a lot of people think because at a point they will fail and at that point all you are left with to guard yourself if whatever tricks you have learned to cope and hang on

I think we are kind of in agreement here sort of

Back