Anthony Bourdain is a Coward

Why did you not eat for 2-3 days?

Hunger strike.

Jk. I think it was a combination of being a bit sick with the flu at the time, if I remember correctly (remember this was about 10+ years ago) and no food in the house whatsoever. Pretty sure the whole fight started because I wasn't sick apparently, escalated from there.

I think will can do it for most if it is learned taught and practiced but I do agree that bipolar people are fucked.

Im not sure pill therapy is the be all end all a lot of people think because at a point they will fail and at that point all you are left with to guard yourself if whatever tricks you have learned to cope and hang on

yea.

pills were only ever intended (with regard to depression) as a bridge to get you into some sort of REAL treatment. they arent meant for long-term use. but of course, that is being abused by physicians (not usually shrinks) and patients. but of course, as we've mentioned, bipolarity is the exception. talk therapy, exercise, or whatever else has not been shown to help that, to my knowledge.

heya Judge,

Again, he fits the definition.

by most accounts, Mr. Bourdain was man of courage, and a man of his convictions.

sorry my friend, but we'll have to agree to disagree here.

Sorry if you are butthurt I proved you wrong.

i do not feel that you proved Mr. Bourdain was a coward, though.

we just see things differently, i guess.

You should take it as a chance to learn instead of post more stupid shit. I don't care what your definition of anything is. I care what the dictionary has beside those words.

Again, just in case you missed it
coward - "a person who lacks the courage to do or endure dangerous or unpleasant things."

I know it sucks being wrong. It used to happen to me before I found out what words meant.

it is difficult, it seems, to argue with one who holds his dictionary so tenaciously to his bosom. well done.

- IGIT

You know, I came in thinking about people who don't really have anyone they're leaving behind, I mean, I don't think Suicide is much of an option, unless you're actually fucked up physically or mentally or something, it's just, if you aren't hurting anyone but yourself...

As far as watching the video, I agree with him. When Williams killed himself I was angry at people for calling him a coward or weak or something because of the mental illness he was facing down the stretch, but he left a daughter behind and the more people who do this, the less I feel like I want to defend them.

As far as leaving a kid behind, I've never had kids and have no intention of having them, but if I did have a kid, suicide would never be an option. If there's a possibility of you ever feeling you're going to off yourself, you shouldn't reproduce... and if you do, you best throw that bullshit right out your head.

Just a personal story but take it for what it's worth. Back about 10 years ago I was 14 15 or so, still living at home. Hadn't eaten in 2 or 3 days, pretty sure I waa dehydrated as well and got into a huge fight with my dad, who is one fucked up dude in his own right.

One thing led to another and I wound up swallowing 80 or so ativans and about 15 xanax as an irrational decision, I wasn't depressed or suicidal, I wasnt thinking straight because I was hungry and dehydrated. Last thing I remembered was them making me drink this charcoal shit and wanting to put a catheter up my dink which I refused, told me to try to pee and I did and I passed out after.

Woke up a few hours later in a hospital bed. Wound up spending whatever the mandatory is in the hospital, had me talking to psychologists taking all kinds of different pills for the few days. I basically explained to them what had happened, how I made an irrational decision and how I hadn't eaten in days prior to what had happened, how I didnt believe i was thinking straight and how one thing led to another. The psychologist psychiatrist whatever asked me a bunch of questions, I answered them, think they got me to fill out some form cant quite remember all the details.

They let me out the next day and I haven't done anything or the thoughts even crossed my mind, not neccesarily a depressed person before or after. Still think it was a stupid selfish decision to this day and doubt I ever would've done it if I was thinkin straight.

All of this just leads me to wonder if alot of suicides, especially from people who don't neccesarily come off as depressed are just a perfect storm. Could've been a long day, dehydrated exhausted just not thinking clearly, get into a serious fight with your wife find out she's cheating or whatever it may be and make an irrational decision in the moment that you can never take back, that you otherwise wouldn't make under normal circumstances.

I think sometimes we look too deeply into the reason why people choose to off themselves.

Sometimes it is a deep seeded depression, that was building over years, and finally got the best of them...

...and sometimes, it's because they just got dumped, and a gun was within arms reach.

As I said, many people live respectfully to their old age, not all people do. I do not feel pity nor shame towards those who don't get to live such a great life into their old age, surrounded by family and friends. I can see where the desire to end it comes from, even if it's not an impulse that I'm capable of possessing.

It's all the same. Bourdain may have been on the brink of "going back" to the man he was, the pitiful heroin addict who could not overcome his feelings of shame and self-loathing. More shame and self-loathing won't serve to bring him out of that abyss.

We really know nothing about it. We just guess.

My outlook is far from pathetic. I'd estimate that it takes far greater mental strength to live within the parameters that I've set for myself, than within the parameters that men commonly set for themselves, conjuring up feelings of shame, disgrace, disrespect, peer pressure, to prevent themselves from falling to their own weakness. I generally do not need that.

I would prefer that we can live because life is good and enjoyable, not because we're merely expected to. We've reached the point where our species is no longer existentially threatened, by a small loss of numbers. In many cases, we live long past the point of good sense.

You are going to have to further explain what your parameters are? Are you suggesting that it takes greater strength to give up and fall to your weakness because life got rough or difficult. If so that is a literal loser mentality, life got tough, just go ahead and fall to that weakness.

The means to do and go wherever he wanted, had friend's, family including an 11 year old. His good friend even found him. He was a current example of living respectfully. His life should have been good and enjoyable, it's weakness that prevented it.

You are going to have to further explain what your parameters are? Are you suggesting that it takes greater strength to give up and fall to your weakness because life got rough or difficult. If so that is a literal loser mentality, life got tough, just go ahead and fall to that weakness.

The means to do and go wherever he wanted, had friend's, family including an 11 year old. His good friend even found him. He was a current example of living respectfully. His life should have been good and enjoyable, it's weakness that prevented it.

No, I'm saying that remaining rational and objective about your potential weaknesses, requires more mental strength, then shaming yourself into "willing it through". The latter is what a lot of people are doing. A masochistic exercise in "clinging on" despite not knowing why. A servitude for others above the self, even though there is no serving others without serving the self. Because without a strong self, you have nothing to give to the world, but pity, weakness, and self-loathing.

I know plenty well why I keep on living. Because I'm a biological organism, the purpose of which is to survive and to pro-create, at a sustainable rate. Most people never comprehend anything about why they live. They simply think that they need to, because otherwise they would feel shameful. But there is no shame after death. It's not a rational thing to even think about. Death, if nothing else, is a release of all such duty, all such "shame", for better or worse. That's why many desire it, despite its unknown properties.

Once you're dead, you're dead. A person who worries about what comes after, to me, is simply an idiot. There is probably no after, and even if there was, it would hopefully not be an existence occupied with the same self-absorbed foolishness, self-loathing and shaming that are inseparable from our current from of existence.

Shame, disgrace, submission, servitude to others, these are not, in my opinion, reasons enough to go on living. That's why I don't care for shaming suicidal people by reminding them of their "responsibilities" to others. I can think of plenty of others ways to make them contemplate why they should keep on living. They are beyond the capability of fulfilling their duties at the point of suicide, anyway. A depressed, self-loathing man is not a good influence on their children.

A slave to one's family, and even to one's own sons and daughters, is still a slave. If you can't bear the burden of raising your kids, don't. Figure something else out. Regenerate your self, gather your strength, and then get back into the grind, if you will.

Last edited:
Back