Antoine Fuqua wants to remake scarface with Denzel Washington

Sherdog would moan ignoring that the 80's film itself was a remake that switched the ethnicity of the lead character.

Well I wasn’t trying to be funny, I was trying to be serious. Scarface was made in 1983 and it was set in 1980 as Tony Montana was supposed to be a Cuban refugee. Looking at this decade, and the fact that Denzel is black, I thought that maybe the Haitian refugee situation following the 2010 quake could be a possible backdrop for a film.

Well I wasn’t trying to be funny, I was trying to be serious. Scarface was made in 1983 and it was set in 1980 as Tony Montana was supposed to be a Cuban refugee. Looking at this decade, and the fact that Denzel is black, I thought that maybe the Haitian refugee situation following the 2010 quake could be a possible backdrop for a film.

Could be the case I'd agree now that you arguably have enough time pasted for someone to have risen up as a crime lord although I could see Hollywood viewing it as not being very PC. I always thought Denzel would play Toussaint Louverture at some point though so maybe work some of the nations background into the characters mindset?

Last edited:
The 80's one was already a remake that was very different from the original, so it's not like this is uncharted territory.

I think that's a great idea. But Denzel is old, like really old, and unless he's playing someone who had a considerable empire in Haiti previously I'm not quite sure how this works. How many honest men become criminals at 65; or even how many small time criminals become big time at that age?

I think this is a good role for someone under 40 years old. Can't be a kid though.

Thanks for the history lesson. Lmao I'm aware there are black Cubans and I read the news. I never said he couldn't be Scarface because he's black. Get fucking Pitbull, I don't care.

But because he's Denzel? Shoehorning.

Boy, you sure seem affected by a post on the internet.
{<huh}
You say this as if we're talking about Jaden Smith. Denzel's name is brought up because he's an Oscar winning actor, and is widely loved. For a Hollywood studio, for them to remake and cast a movie as classic as Scarface, Denzel is the exact kind of guy they would want.
I don't want to see a remake. I think it's unnecessary. And if they want to do something in a similar style, then they should just make a new movie, but Denzel is an excellent actor. It's not a completely crazy idea for this to happen, even though I don't really want to see it.

and lol at getting Pitbull. Obviously, if a studio makes a movie like this, they want the best actor possible. How many A list Cuban actors do you know? They're going to go with the guy that can fit the role. Should every movie that has Africans, Jamaicans, Haitains, etc, ONLY hire those people for the role? Do you think there is a large pool of talented actors, trained like Denzel to take over big Hollywood projects?

Nah, such movies aren't made to be remade.

{<huh}
You say this as if we're talking about Jaden Smith. Denzel's name is brought up because he's an Oscar winning actor, and is widely loved. For a Hollywood studio, for them to remake and cast a movie as classic as Scarface, Denzel is the exact kind of guy they would want.
I don't want to see a remake. I think it's unnecessary. And if they want to do something in a similar style, then they should just make a new movie, but Denzel is an excellent actor. It's not a completely crazy idea for this to happen, even though I don't really want to see it.

and lol at getting Pitbull. Obviously, if a studio makes a movie like this, they want the best actor possible. How many A list Cuban actors do you know? They're going to go with the guy that can fit the role. Should every movie that has Africans, Jamaicans, Haitains, etc, ONLY hire those people for the role? Do you think there is a large pool of talented actors, trained like Denzel to take over big Hollywood projects?

An aging black that’s supposed to play a younger Cuban Drug Lord rags to riches story is exactly who they want? I can see the name recognition, and Denzel’s skills, but it makes NO SENSE from a casting point of view. I thought maybe they were changing the story...but I see they also liked Diego Luna for the role....so no it’s still the same story. Choosing Denzel would be no differently than choosing Mel Gibson who is the same age and not Latino.

An aging black that’s supposed to play a younger Cuban Drug Lord rags to riches story is exactly who they want? I can see the name recognition, and Denzel’s skills, but it makes NO SENSE from a casting point of view. I thought maybe they were changing the story...but I see they also liked Diego Luna for the role....so no it’s still the same story. Choosing Denzel would be no differently than choosing Mel Gibson who is the same age and not Latino.

What if he's related to Pedro Cerrano?

cerrano.jpg

So would Denzel be playing a Haitian refugee from the 2010 earthquake or something?
This is almost certainly better than the script will be.

I don't have a boner for Scarface like a lot of people but I don't see the point in remaking it. It's of its time and is part of Pacino's oeuvre. Let it stand.

Now if they wanted to make Methface with an Eastern European immigrant who arrives in Appalachia and builds a drug empire, I might be interested...

They did that already. It was called American Gangster. And it was a true story.

They did that already. It was called American Gangster. And it was a true story.
very underrated as far as drug epics go. A Denzel Scarface would feel pretty much the same though. I'd prefer someone like Lakeith Stanfield instead.

The 80's flick is itself a remake, but this is foolish. You ain't gonna fill dem shoes.

I know this sounds crazy, but how 'bout they just make an original drug lord flick that allows Denzel to carve out his own character, and perhaps make a new icon in the process?

Scarface is probably the most overrated film of all time... And I actually like De Palma.

I thought they were complaining about blacks not winning as many film awards. Why would remaking movies and changing the main character to a black one win any sort of awards?

Back