Any bb with no school where teaching

Italianissimo

Yellow Belt
@Yellow
Reaction score
The next step, after the black belt, in Jiu Jitsu is, usually, opening a gym or working for one.
Do you have a job as a BJJ teacher or not yet and why?

Interesting, I wonder what percentage of black belts choose jiu Jitsu as a career.

It really depends on the maturity bjj level in the area.

In Brasil, I heard stories of bjj gyms in every corners and therefore too much supply compare to demand.

People might still want to run their own club but not that great money wise.

I'd argue that isn't the 'usual' next step, usually you just carry on training as before. Also depends on what you do for a living and your responsibilities before getting your black belt.

I'd argue that isn't the 'usual' next step, usually you just carry on training as before. Also depends on what you do for a living and your responsibilities before getting your black belt.
I agree, but since getting the black belt requires a long time, it is not so difficult to find people who want to invest in this sport

I think the other guy meant it as a joke.
But you could totally fly in a random brazilian and have him teach in exchange for food and a visa.
The meaning of the post is: How many have a black belt, wanted to work as an instructor and failed?

opening a gym is like opening a restaurant. most fail.

the biggest problem is lots of people think because they have a blackbelt they know how to market and run a business and have no clue.

My gym is one of the biggest in Canada and all these young kids come in with dreams of coaching or owning their own school. Most will fail or move on from that dream. There isnt much $ in it to begin with for the amount of time and effort required.

I don't think making BJJ a profession is usually the next step for most people after getting a black belt.

I know lots of BBelts......I am a pretty long in the tooth brown. Most people I know have no desire to teach that includes me.

I don't mind teaching (still a brown belt however). Though when I get a black, I have zero desire to open my own school. Jiu jitsu is a hobby that I want to enjoy. Running a gym as a business would not be enjoyable, and take away what training time I do have.

Back