Any hit to the head causes brain damage

The main thing is to be honest with yourself and not ignore symptoms, and not get into a routine of having minor concussions.

But I am talking a bout a total lack of even teaching the defense more then once. There is no reason not to drill proper defenses. You cant spar something you have never done or only been given 10 minutes to practice it with a partner all month.

I trained with an instructor who had training in JKD, kickboxing, muay thai, and boxing. He was big on movement and defense, he would always teach us defensive footwork while also teaching us how to strike while moving. So your logic is fraud.

I trained with an instructor who had training in JKD, kickboxing, muay thai, and boxing. He was big on movement and defense, he would always teach us defensive footwork while also teaching us how to strike while moving. So your logic is fraud.

I'm not sure what you're saying here, but I share workspace with a trainer who tells everyone that my drills are bullshit. All his fighters do is hit mitts, bags, and spar. He put two kids with NO fights in with a 15 fight Pro and they got their asses kicked. They were being hurt. He had them sparring the very next day.

He doesn't teach defense, yells at them to do shit he never showed them how to do, and tells them they "need to learn" how to protect themselves...

I'm not sure what you're saying here, but I share workspace with a trainer who tells everyone that my drills are bullshit. All his fighters do is hit mitts, bags, and spar. He put two kids with NO fights in with a 15 fight Pro and they got their asses kicked. They were being hurt. He had them sparring the very next day.

He doesn't teach defense, yells at them to do shit he never showed them how to do, and tells them they "need to learn" how to protect themselves...

I'm saying not all instructors neglect defense, a lot of my instructors have taught me good defense. But their was only one who was like the instructor you mentioned who would just let me and the others spar all the time instead of actually teaching us.

On the regular, most of the defense I see taught is rudimentary at best.

Last edited:
On the regular, most of the defense I see taught I'd rudimentary at best.
some people just seem to like learning the hard way. some never learn. i find drills to be like swimming in the shallow end or riding with training wheels on. i believe they are essential to learning unless you want to get punched in the face a lot first.

Drills are only like that if the instructor doesn't know how to progress them.

On the regular, most of the defense I see taught is rudimentary at best.

The instructor I trained with in 2016, he taught us more defensive footwork then actual defence, but the instructor that was at my gym before that he use to hit me all the time during padwork so I would learn to defend real good. I had a fast reflex for the hook for a while after that.

I'd like to get into Muay Thai for fun and fitness but won't be able to get hit in the head due to an eye condition. Recon this would be a problem at most gyms or would they be okay with a guy just training for fun?

Back