Any vegans on here?

veganjiujitsu

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I think there were a couple vegans here but we scared most of them out.

Do you do it for ethical reasons, supposed health benefits, or what?

Do you do it for ethical reasons, supposed health benefits, or what?

not for health at all.

I stopped eating meat in college while studying environmental policy. learned about problems with waste concentration from factory farm operations and inefficiencies of feeding plant food to animals vs. eating plant food directly (varies widely, but calories are lost to maintenance and growth in the animal).

I went vegan a year later when I realized that many animals raised for food are treated in a way I found unsupportable, and that I had the ability to make a choice not to support that.

So ethical I guess: reducing my environmental footprint, as well as trying to contribute less to the amount of animal suffering and killing.

You don't have to change your diet to protest how animals are treated. You can always go hunt your own meat.

not for health at all.

I stopped eating meat in college while studying environmental policy. learned about problems with waste concentration from factory farm operations and inefficiencies of feeding plant food to animals vs. eating plant food directly (varies widely, but calories are lost to maintenance and growth in the animal).

I went vegan a year later when I realized that many animals raised for food are treated in a way I found unsupportable, and that I had the ability to make a choice not to support that.

So ethical I guess: reducing my environmental footprint, as well as trying to contribute less to the amount of animal suffering and killing.

That's cool, do what you believe in and don't take crap from anyone here since this isn't an ethics or philosophy forum. You're welcome to partake in the knowledge exchange here and I'm sure some other vegeterians/vegans could find your experiences helpful. Just try not to be like some of the other vegans here that tried to argue that their lifestyle was healthier or somehow superior. Remember that this forum is about improving athletic performance not about the ethics of eating. Welcome aboard.

Just try not to be like some of the other vegans here that tried to argue that their lifestyle was healthier or somehow superior.
I'm not a vegan, I eat meat almost exclusively, but I could see how it could be healthier.

Seriously dude you don't need to have your life revolve around you being a vegan. After all, we dont really care.

What about buying from a more "farm friendly" meat production facility?
Not all facilities are ran like the propaganda you were subjected to in college. :icon_conf

vegans.jpg

I have a pair of friends who are die-hard vegans.

Thankfully they don't push their view point that somehow they are better than me because of their lifestyle choices. (so props to the TS for not taking the holier-than-thou standpoint)

They became vegan for their views of the health benefits and the ethical reasons behind it.

The one thing I have taken from them, I guess you can say it has rubbed off on me, is that I started eating less red meat.

I have felt better limiting the amount of red meat (once or twice a week) I consume but my body does not like going totally off red meat.

To end this ramble, TS I would do just like Chia was saying.

Whatever floats your boat, go for it. Just be aware, which it seems you already know, that vegans are in the minority here.

My girlfriend is a vegan...so that means when we are together...I am also..:(

Anybody checked out "The omnivore's dilema"? It's a good read on the agricultural pracitices in this country. I can see where people would find industrial farms revolting, but it turning vegan because of it instead of knowing where your food comes from instead and buying from good sources seems like a stretch... welcome anyways.

Back