Any vegans on here?

Do vegans consider eating yeast to be eating animals? Bread and beer are cool or not?

yeast are fungi.

eat, drink, and be merry.

but Barut, as a new vegan, you should know:
Many types of beer, wine, and I think liquor, make use of "finings" -- substances to pull the yeast sediment out of the alcohol after fermentation--and some of those are animal-based: egg, fish, blood, etc.

But, I think many many beers don't use animal finings, including most of the major American breweries.

but, in any case, the overall quantity of animal products used is probably not that great, and if someone is vegan to eliminate the majority of animal products from their diet, and realizes they can't be perfect and is okay some byproducts here and there, they might not be too worried about it.

For the truly discerning vegan drunkard, however:

Vegan Beer - Vegan Wine - Vegan Liquor

Yeah, I don't really think you can call yourself Vegan at all. Not just the eggs and pizza, but you are drinking whole cows milk daily with whey powder?

That's more like being one of those weird vegetarians that don't eat meat, but they'll stop at a McDonalds and scarf down a Egg McMuffin or Filet-O-Fish.

yeah I don't eat meat or fish but I eat dairy products and free range egg white. Sometimes I even have an Egg McMuffin, its true. I call myself a vegetarian. Is there a better word to describe a non-meat/non-fish eater?

Yeah, I don't really think you can call yourself Vegan at all. Not just the eggs and pizza, but you are drinking whole cows milk daily with whey powder?

That's more like being one of those weird vegetarians that don't eat meat, but they'll stop at a McDonalds and scarf down a Egg McMuffin or Filet-O-Fish.

yeah I don't eat meat or fish but I eat dairy products and free range egg white. Sometimes I even have an Egg McMuffin, its true. I call myself a vegetarian. Is there a better word to describe a non-meat/non-fish eater?

I don't care what you call yourself. I was just pointing out that you said you were Vega, yet eating non-vega foods daily. But you are calling yourself Vegetarian now.

I don't care what people eat, it's their choice, just don't try and preach to me every 5 minutes about why you're better because of it. The only thing I think is weird is when a Vegan or Vegetarian eats the way they do, not for health reasons, but because of how they feel about animals. But they make allowances like eating fish, eggs, etc. Just seems weird to me is all.

But I don't have the fondest memories of Vegetarians to be honest. My aunt was a die hard "Vegetarian", she would even get really super pissed at my cousin if she ate a hot dog at school or had some roast when she was at our house. But she ate eggs and fish daily. Their health wasn't too good also. She was fucking out there though, really fucked up, so probably not the best person to be around for Vegetarian influence/experience.

By the way, if you're going to eat eggs eat the damn yolk :icon_chee

I don't care what you call yourself. I was just pointing out that you said you were Vega, yet eating non-vega foods daily. But you are calling yourself Vegetarian now.

I don't care what people eat, it's their choice, just don't try and preach to me every 5 minutes about why you're better because of it. The only thing I think is weird is when a Vegan or Vegetarian eats the way they do, not for health reasons, but because of how they feel about animals. But they make allowances like eating fish, eggs, etc. Just seems weird to me is all.

But I don't have the fondest memories of Vegetarians to be honest. My aunt was a die hard "Vegetarian", she would even get really super pissed at my cousin if she ate a hot dog at school or had some roast when she was at our house. But she ate eggs and fish daily. Their health wasn't too good also. She was fucking out there though, really fucked up, so probably not the best person to be around for Vegetarian influence/experience.

By the way, if you're going to eat eggs eat the damn yolk :icon_chee

yep, there is certainly something to be said for consistent application of personal ideals, esp. if you're hollerin' at others about it.

I'm also one of them. What does that make it now, five?

Also, I'd like to point out that the reason that a lot of vegans get overly defensive when talking about veganism on the internet is that they have likely heard the same insults or scientifically disproven arguments about a thousand times. I'm willing to admit that veganism is definitely not the optimal diet for gaining muscle, just as omnivores should be willing to admit that there are clear and scientifically proven health benefits (not generally linked to strength/muscle) of being vegan.

This thread has certainly been a bit more calm and respectful than most I've seen on this board and on others, even if there was a lot of baiting early on.

Fish is ok to eat because fish don't have souls.

Even Jesus ate fish. It's in the bible so it's cool.

Even Jesus ate fish. It's in the bible so it's cool.

Yeah, but in the Garden of Eden, they only ate plants. It wasn't until after the original sin that man began eating animals.

(if you believe that sort of stuff)

I'm also one of them. What does that make it now, five?

Also, I'd like to point out that the reason that a lot of vegans get overly defensive when talking about veganism on the internet is that they have likely heard the same insults or scientifically disproven arguments about a thousand times. I'm willing to admit that veganism is definitely not the optimal diet for gaining muscle, just as omnivores should be willing to admit that there are clear and scientifically proven health benefits (not generally linked to strength/muscle) of being vegan.

This thread has certainly been a bit more calm and respectful than most I've seen on this board and on others, even if there was a lot of baiting early on.

5 out of 189,372. hmmmm.... we gotta work on our catchphrase or something...

well according to the simpsons, there was a pig wandering about that gave out regenerating bacon.

It was shameful how some of the so-called "vegans" were baiting and instigating fights with omnivores when there was such potential for interesting discussion. Typical vegan behaviour though, they go into a discussion expecting and seemingly wanting an argument so they can feel like they

It was shameful how some of the so-called "vegans" were baiting and instigating fights with omnivores when there was such potential for interesting discussion. Typical vegan behaviour though, they go into a discussion expecting and seemingly wanting an argument so they can feel like they

true true, generally it's new vegans who are most strident, but even us old codgers can get full of piss and vinegar sometimes.

either way, this is just the internets, and I'm not going to get too worked up if someone wants to have a bit of sport.

and it's 2.65/100,000, at least on this board. don't try to marginalize us. ha.

word, and the approach and personalisation of a choice of how you eat seems similar to people new to MMA in that they attach themselves personally to their hobby and see the sport as a representation of their personality.

I'm interested in this .65 of a person you claim to have on your side. Is their nickname "stumpy"?

word, and the approach and personalisation of a choice of how you eat seems similar to people new to MMA in that they attach themselves personally to their hobby and see the sport as a representation of their personality.

I'm interested in this .65 of a person you claim to have on your side. Is their nickname "stumpy"?

.65 of ALL VEGAN THUNDER.

and on another note, there was talk of eating "natto" on another thread.
http://www.sherdog.net/forums/f15/where-can-i-get-some-natto-908776/

Now, I had never heard of said item, but needless to say, it's a super funkified vegan food, that if you're vegan and looking for something bizarre to eat, it's for you.

I think most Sushi places probably have it, but I suspect only Japanese expats know to order it.

I've been watching this thread for a while and thought I'd throw in my two cents.
I'm omnivore at present, but have been vegetarian in the past and a few months ago I finished a year long experiment with veganism.
I'm neither going to promote it or bash it but I'll give you what I got.

Reasons I started:
-Curiosity as to the claims of having noticeably low energy/strength.
-People said how difficult it was and I wanted to see if that held any water.
-Factory farms ruin the environment, period and had just done some research on them.
-I've always been an animal lover and wanted to see if I could survive happily without having to have them killed for my convenience.

Pros:

-A common misconception is that all vegans eat are fruits and vegetables, but I found a massive variety of foods that had me wondering what to eat every time I made food. I went from centering my meals around what meat I was having to actually just making foods that were healthy and tasted good.

-I found that no matter what I ate (as long as it was vegan), I easily maintained my weight which has always been an impossible task for me in the past.

-My energy level didn't drop at all and I found no difference in stamina or strength. In fact the foods I were eating were for the most part really healthy so I felt lighter and therefore more focused on rolling/sparring.

-It forced me to eat home made meals 99% of the time.

-Statistically saved something like 220 animals in my year of being veg, just by myself. Which I think is pretty cool in itself.

Cons:

-My omnivorous friends harsh busted my balls about it and even the ones who didn't disapproved, like somehow I'd fucked their lives over by being vegan.

-It got really really old when people would hear that I was veg and, unprompted or provoked, say things like "Oh shit, I just eat raw baby cow..MMMM..and then I sop up the blood with baby chickens and eat them aliiiive!" and shit like that.. OFTEN.. It was strange and it seemed like these people couldn't control themselves, sometimes saying it with a slightly embarrassed look on their faces. Really weird.

-Couldn't find a place to eat out and actually started getting paranoid that the stuff people said had no animal products in it were filled with hidden casein/whey/butter/whatever.

-I couldn't eat the same foods as my wife and son, which bothered me in two ways.. In order to continue this way of eating for a year, I had to convince myself that it had a lot of health benefits so I was frustrated that they weren't eating the same way and that my wife would get defensive if I mentioned my lifestyle choice (which I didn't do often). Also, cooking two separate meals at the same time isn't realistic and I found I would be eating at different times from them 90% of the time.

Why I quit:

-Laziness.
-It was the end of my year goal.
-I missed the taste of meat.
-Became less passionate about the ethical reasons that made me ultimately decide to go vegan in the first place.
-I burnt out.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Before you ask, yes I committed fully to veganism for that full year and even replaced all of my household products (deoderants, soaps, toothpaste) and clothing with vegan alternatives.

I don't weight train, but train heavily in MMA 5 times a week.

Anyways, I apologize if that was at all vague or boring, just thought I'd offer a personal experience.

I knew I'd come into this thread and you dumbasses have turned it into a war about what dietary plan is "superior". Sherdogs becoming a joke.

Back