Any vegetarian athletes here?

DannyNL

The King is BACK, baby!
Banned
Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone here has switched to vegetarian or even vegan? I always flirt with the idea but get turned off when I hear about all the shit you can run deficient on, like iron.

How did you get started, and what kind of changes do you make to account for the nutrients you're missing from meat?

Figured I'd ask here where people were likely to be engaged in the same kind of activities I am.

Yes - for 2 yrs. It didn't help and made things very complicated. I tried it at a time when things weren't as accommodating for vegetarians.

If you are up for it, good luck -- but don't expect miracles.

Waste of your time if you want to be an athlete you have to eat what was intended to keep us in peak physical form.

No offense but I find this whole being vegatarian thing to be bullshit, be it being a fighter or not. Humans are omnivores for a reason and they function the best as one.
Not to mention being a vegan or a vegatarian does earth nothing good, infact more harm by opposing nature rules and going against food pyramid and balance in general.

I was never an athlete just a stupid teen, I lost a lot of muscle mass and gained tons of fat. The only athlete I can think of right now is Shlemenko, not sure if he still vegan though.

I've been a pescetarian/vegetarian for 6 years or so. I'm not an athlete per se but I work hard, 65-75 hours a week and have plenty or energy and strength. I'm probably 225 or 230 6'4", could stand to lose a little weight. Eating a little fish every once n a while helps with nutrient deficiency... Needing meat to be physically fit is a myth.

idk of any fighter whos known to be strong who is a veg-vegan diaz brothers jon fitch and jake are only ones i know of top of my head and when jon went vegan he started to lose

idk of any fighter whos known to be strong who is a veg-vegan diaz brothers jon fitch and jake are only ones i know of top of my head and when jon went vegan he started to lose

Mac Danzig
If I remember right, he was on the JRE podcast.

he wasnt a well known fighter though its already hard being vegan without being an athlete imagine how much tofu or beans youde have to consume to train your ass off daily youde feel disgusted im sure at the huge number of kidney beans to stuff your face with

he wasnt a well known fighter though its already hard being vegan without being an athlete imagine how much tofu or beans youde have to consume to train your ass off daily youde feel disgusted im sure at the huge number of kidney beans to stuff your face with

I only tried once veganism. But without beans, and tofu, and cereals. Only vegetables, fruits, some potatoes. The good part was that the digestive system worked much better. The bad part was that I lost a lot of muscle mass.

The thing is there are vegan athletes. I don't know if they are lying, but there are some of them. And I am not talking about Herschel Walker, he clearly lies.

Arian Foster (NFL) tried it -
Scott Jurek
Rich Roll
Serena Williams
Carl Lewis

A lot of runners...
Also, you have runners that eat mostly fats

If you are talking about calories, it's easy to take them from a vegan diet. Not raw, only vegan. Pasta, potatoes, rice, flours, beans - this things have a lot of calories. I don't know about proteins. But now there are hemp protein powders and others.

In my opinion, I don't know if it can help you, more than a diet based on meat and eggs and vegetables.
Tried it only once, several years ago. But it was something of a raw vegan stuff, not much of a beans and rice fan.

Last edited:
Hi,

Vegan here.
You have to know what to eat.

dont eat tofu (oestrogen) but eat tempeh instead (fermented)

Plant are full of proteines and easy digestible. The cow you eat are also herbivores. same goes for chickens, pigs, most fish. The nutrients we gain from eating them are actually stored in the food they eat.
Fish eat algae and seaweeds. Eat those too in the form of SEA CRUCNH
Cow's eat grass. Take hemp (full amino profile and 52% proteine's, good fats and fibers), kale and leafy greens for your iron and proteine.
Some black rice have up to 15 grams of proteine.
Nuts and seeds are good for calcium, fats and proteine.
Bake some seitan stake's with tamarin sauce. Seitan has up to 75% proteiene. No meat has that.
Lentils-proteine

Buy a bag of vegan proteine mix for after training.

eat avacado's eat fresh eat good vape good

Take some cbd for general healt and for pre workout energy and testosteron eat ECKLONIA CAVA.

Just some ideas.

DO some research if you are really interested.You can pm me too, but dont ask some insensitive people on a mma forum.

Animals are friends and brothers.

Ronny

i was , but now i eat anything in front of me because of reasons
i was super shredded after 10 years, but felt like my body was not right
now another 10 years later im way bigger, but its all muscle and a little fat. overall im much healthier, but still eat a ton of vegetables and fruit raw.

It's way easier to be a "part time vegetarian". You need some stuff your body gets from meat, but most meats are absolutely terrible for you. Even so called 'plain chicken' is usually processed, so be wary of what you buy.

Protein is an absolute piece of cake to come by so I wouldn't be too worried about that. Add a variety of stuff like nuts, sunflower seed, eggs, etc., and skip the horrible shit like deli meats and red meats. I like to think of meat as a flavor rather than the staple of a meal. And honestly the more I work out the more my body craves simple foods like nuts and veggies way more than some fancy meat dish which is probably LOADED with salt.

I don't see a point to being vegan.

TS, this forum is full of bros. This is wrong place to ask. I mean, for God's sake, one poster in here just tried to use the food pyramid as evidence we need animal products!

Iron is so easy to get on a vegan diet. Spinach, beans, dried fruit, etc.

My best grappling performances were after going vegan.

As for the posters talking about fighters getting worse on vegan diets - those fighters were already getting old. The switched their diets because they realised it made them feel better.

Happy vegetable eating :)

Spent many months around top athletes/fighters in Muay Thai/MMA training camps, and noone is totally vegan, except for the occasional crossfit/yoga chick, who starts sprouting BS about soy and herballife.

You may get the odd exemptions like the Diazs or Timothy Bradley, that "claim" they go full vegan before a fight, just like the odd freak that smokes all their lives, and never gets cancer

Hi,

Vegan here.
You have to know what to eat.

dont eat tofu (oestrogen) but eat tempeh instead (fermented)

Plant are full of proteines and easy digestible. The cow you eat are also herbivores. same goes for chickens, pigs, most fish. The nutrients we gain from eating them are actually stored in the food they eat.
Fish eat algae and seaweeds. Eat those too in the form of SEA CRUCNH
Cow's eat grass. Take hemp (full amino profile and 52% proteine's, good fats and fibers), kale and leafy greens for your iron and proteine.
Some black rice have up to 15 grams of proteine.
Nuts and seeds are good for calcium, fats and proteine.
Bake some seitan stake's with tamarin sauce. Seitan has up to 75% proteiene. No meat has that.
Lentils-proteine

Buy a bag of vegan proteine mix for after training.

eat avacado's eat fresh eat good vape good

Take some cbd for general healt and for pre workout energy and testosteron eat ECKLONIA CAVA.

Just some ideas.

DO some research if you are really interested.You can pm me too, but dont ask some insensitive people on a mma forum.

Animals are friends and brothers.

Ronny
do you follow your macros while being vegan or eat to your satisfied

I've been vegetarian forever now, 20+ years. I used to lift all the time. Now I mostly just train BJJ, 3-5x week. Even though I'm getting older, I still feel pretty good. You do have to think more carefully about your diet, so I think it is hard to make the switch initially. I remember eating a lot of bread and cheese lol. But you get used to it. Going vegan does seem like it'd be a real hassle.

Back