Any way to make shadowboxing more interesting?

Kwik Kick

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
I do an hour of (muay thai-based) shadowboxing as my main cardio workout about three times a week. I go two minute rounds with a minute of ab workout in between each. After five months straight of this, I admit it's getting boring and I'm losing motivation to keep up the routine. Are there interesting shadowboxing variations or routines that could make it more interesting and that actually help you continue to grow in technique, etc? Thanks for any thoughts.

I do an hour of (muay thai-based) shadowboxing as my main cardio workout about three times a week. I go two minute rounds with a minute of ab workout in between each. After five months straight of this, I admit it's getting boring and I'm losing motivation to keep up the routine. Are there interesting shadowboxing variations or routines that could make it more interesting and that actually help you continue to grow in technique, etc? Thanks for any thoughts.
Well an hour seems excessively boring. How about just 3-6 rounds before each of your regular striking workouts?

You grow in technique by having your coach critique your Shadow boxing and watching yourself Shadow box in the mirror.

An hour straight? Goddamn!

Well an hour seems excessively boring. How about just 3-6 rounds before each of your regular striking workouts?

An hour straight? Goddamn!

Thanks for the thought. I don't do regular striking workouts; I don't train formally anymore and this is my only outlet. Sometimes I do heavybag, but it's usually too loud while my kids are sleeping. Going an hour has gotten me in really good shape, so I've stuck with it.

Incorporate it into your roadwork. Work combinations while running, and mix it up at stoplights. I don't too much kick during roadwork but I throw my hands all the time. It doesn't have to be forced, just light. I work my head movement, ducks and pivots underneath tree branches I run past.

The repetition will help in the gym. You'll be use to running, and relaxed while throwing, you should feel the carry over in the gym. Footwork, and fluidity of movement should improve. I do long distance slow running at the moment, between a hour and two hours, adding in shadowboxing. It's almost meditative in a way. Burns a lot of fat, and weight as well.

Incorporate it into your roadwork. Work combinations while running, and mix it up at stoplights. I don't too much kick during roadwork but I throw my hands all the time. It doesn't have to be forced, just light. I work my head movement, ducks and pivots underneath tree branches I run past.

The repetition will help in the gym. You'll be use to running, and relaxed while throwing, you should feel the carry over in the gym. Footwork, and fluidity of movement should improve. I do long distance slow running at the moment, between a hour and two hours, adding in shadowboxing. It's almost meditative in a way. Burns a lot of fat, and weight as well.

Good input. Thanks very much.

Well what i do now a days is put a fight on my tv and try to mimick the fighters combinations and reflexes and some of there movement. It will make time go faster too.

Watch a Rocky movie but only the training scenes and fights. Do everything that Rocky does at max speed. Throw whatever combos you like in relatively quiet periods. Use light weights or a weights vest to increase the intensity. It is a bloody good workout and watching Rocky never gets boring.

Well what i do now a days is put a fight on my tv and try to mimick the fighters combinations and reflexes and some of there movement. It will make time go faster too.

ok....

Last edited:
Back