Any WRers ever study in depth or adopt some Eastern religion / thought system?

The far east is admittedly one of my weak spots when talking history and politics. I mean, I get Japan in broad strokes because i'm a weeb, but my overall knowledge is admittedly shit.

@deltapapha, any literature recommendations? Any particular region helps, though I do have a fleeting interest in South Asia.

Screen-Shot-2015-11-30-at-22.16.08-640x480.png

I really wish I had been studying the blockchain tbh. BTC at 16k!

Wait young padawan, winter is coming for bitcoin.

Invest in Litecoin and wait for the fallout.

Wait young padawan, winter is coming for bitcoin.

Invest in Litecoin and wait for the fallout.

Dude I actually put 1k in Litecoin just for giggles....I hope you are right.

The far east is admittedly one of my weak spots when talking history and politics. I mean, I get Japan in broad strokes because i'm a weeb, but my overall knowledge is admittedly shit.

@deltapapha, any literature recommendations? Any particular region helps, though I do have a fleeting interest in South Asia.

A long time ago I took two courses in college an Eastern themes: History of Southeast Asia, and South Asia & Pacific Rim Geography.

Here are a few very memorable books that I have read. I list them not necessarily as recommendations but just to try to dredge up my reading in the East.

1. The Rape of Nanking by Iris Chang (not light reading but I highly recommend)
2. The Distant Land of My Fathers by Bo Caldwell
3. A Passage to India by E M Forster
4. Li Bai (poems)

5. Shakuntala (play) by Kālidāsa was a Classical Sanskrit writer, widely regarded as the greatest poet and dramatist in the Sanskrit language of India.
Shakuntala is one of the greatest things I have ever read in my life!

6. I have read numerous articles and books on the two OPIUM WARS (1840 - 1860)
I highly recommend reading on this topic but be sure to counterbalance the overwhelming screechy preachy anti-British surfeit of material on this topic. I am of the view that British intervention in China had an overwhelming net positive effect on the region. A really good book somewhat tangential to the topic is:
Narcotic Culture: A History of Drugs in China by Frank Dikötter

The author shatters some of the myths about the fallout of the Opium Wars

there are others but I will just leave it at that.

Back