Anybody doing/did stronglift 5x5?

Yeah me too. Always hated running, but I really want to try to stay consistent with it. I know a few people who run crazy fast 5ks too, like 16-17 min, and a girl who runs it in 17-18 min. She's fucking insane, used to run track and was a top youth talent. 400meter was her thing. I can't hang, but nonetheless I'd just like to get more kms in the legs and build my aerobic base to supplement my boxing.

Anyway, I'll follow your lead! Keep up the good work big guy.

Yeah I have to be completely honest, I fucking hate running. Each step is like walking to my own execution. The worst part is just knowing how far out you have to go and that when you get there, you have to come all the way back. Unless you want to call someone, which is incredibly shameful, then you're ass is stuck finishing that run. My worst fear getting out there and needing to take a huge shit. In fact, I've seen it happen to a friend had to jump into the bushes and use his shirt haha. Seriously, I hate running.

I didn't start out great at it. My first 3 mile run was the boot camp PFT and I ran a 21 min 3 mile. It was decent, but I also weighed 175lbs. I started on that couch to 5k program. Eventually decided that I hated running 3 miles but running the first 1.5 wasn't too terrible, so if I got used to running 5 miles then running 3 miles might not seem so bad. So I do that. I run 2.5 miles out and come home. Every time I just try and get there at a certain time and get back a few seconds faster. Definitely doesn't happen all the time, but I maintain.

I was always kind of a runner though. I lifted weights through high school some, but not much and I wasn't great at it. I mostly ran and hiked. So I kind of have to say that I'm a decent runner who took 15 years to get strong. The weight gain took a really long time and the running did get a little bit slower but it's mostly something I've maintained.

Plus I've been extremely lucky with my trainer for the last who knows years. He's an amazing strength and conditioning coach who's had several professional athletes and ranked powerlifters under his belt. I'm really just a product of his creation. I basically told him that I wanted to be strong and fast and he goes on Excel and spends everyday tweaking my program based on my long term goals and my actual daily progress. I just go in and do what's on the sheet. It's nice having a good gym atmosphere too you know? I love going in and having the same group of guys in a private setting just getting stronger faster.

I actually just got back tonight from the gym. Great fucking night. Hit upper body and finished up with some 50 yard farmers walks with 100lb using the farmers walk handles. I fucking love farmers walks. If you aren't doing those, you're crazy. When I get done from a farmers walk up a hill, after I reinflate my popped lung, I feel so fucking great. I love how my traps and neck feel afterwards. And the grip strength.

Do you do farmers walks? If so, how do you usually do them?

And are you the type of guy to squeeze someone else's hand really hard in a handshake? I think because I'm really big that guys feel this need to show me how strong they are when I shake their hand. They squeeze the shit out of it. That really bothers me. I like to give a respectable 'i don't have a weak wrist if you know what I mean' shake, but I'm not trying to Arnold shake strangers. Now

Now people are doing all sorts of crazy handshakes. I usually just stick my hand out like a retard.

Yeah I have to be completely honest, I fucking hate running. Each step is like walking to my own execution. The worst part is just knowing how far out you have to go and that when you get there, you have to come all the way back. Unless you want to call someone, which is incredibly shameful, then you're ass is stuck finishing that run. My worst fear getting out there and needing to take a huge shit. In fact, I've seen it happen to a friend had to jump into the bushes and use his shirt haha. Seriously, I hate running.

I didn't start out great at it. My first 3 mile run was the boot camp PFT and I ran a 21 min 3 mile. It was decent, but I also weighed 175lbs. I started on that couch to 5k program. Eventually decided that I hated running 3 miles but running the first 1.5 wasn't too terrible, so if I got used to running 5 miles then running 3 miles might not seem so bad. So I do that. I run 2.5 miles out and come home. Every time I just try and get there at a certain time and get back a few seconds faster. Definitely doesn't happen all the time, but I maintain.

I was always kind of a runner though. I lifted weights through high school some, but not much and I wasn't great at it. I mostly ran and hiked. So I kind of have to say that I'm a decent runner who took 15 years to get strong. The weight gain took a really long time and the running did get a little bit slower but it's mostly something I've maintained.

Plus I've been extremely lucky with my trainer for the last who knows years. He's an amazing strength and conditioning coach who's had several professional athletes and ranked powerlifters under his belt. I'm really just a product of his creation. I basically told him that I wanted to be strong and fast and he goes on Excel and spends everyday tweaking my program based on my long term goals and my actual daily progress. I just go in and do what's on the sheet. It's nice having a good gym atmosphere too you know? I love going in and having the same group of guys in a private setting just getting stronger faster.

I actually just got back tonight from the gym. Great fucking night. Hit upper body and finished up with some 50 yard farmers walks with 100lb using the farmers walk handles. I fucking love farmers walks. If you aren't doing those, you're crazy. When I get done from a farmers walk up a hill, after I reinflate my popped lung, I feel so fucking great. I love how my traps and neck feel afterwards. And the grip strength.

Do you do farmers walks? If so, how do you usually do them?

And are you the type of guy to squeeze someone else's hand really hard in a handshake? I think because I'm really big that guys feel this need to show me how strong they are when I shake their hand. They squeeze the shit out of it. That really bothers me. I like to give a respectable 'i don't have a weak wrist if you know what I mean' shake, but I'm not trying to Arnold shake strangers. Now

Now people are doing all sorts of crazy handshakes. I usually just stick my hand out like a retard.

Endorphines got you all amped up huh big boy? Haha.

Well, I don't really do any carries if I'm being honest. I'd like to, but I only have so much time to strength train. It's really a secondary thing for me.

Nah I don't try to overcompensate, but I do ALWAYS give a firm handshake. Nothing worse than a limp wristed handshake. Grip it firm, look the person in the eye, stand up straight. That's how you do a handshake. Well, unless it's your bros then it's a slap and a much more laid back attitude. At the same time as you say, don't be a douche and try to squeeze the life out of someones hand, that's just lame.

Endorphines got you all amped up huh big boy? Haha.

Well, I don't really do any carries if I'm being honest. I'd like to, but I only have so much time to strength train. It's really a secondary thing for me.

Nah I don't try to overcompensate, but I do ALWAYS give a firm handshake. Nothing worse than a limp wristed handshake. Grip it firm, look the person in the eye, stand up straight. That's how you do a handshake. Well, unless it's your bros then it's a slap and a much more laid back attitude. At the same time as you say, don't be a douche and try to squeeze the life out of someones hand, that's just lame.

:D

Yeah felt great after that workout! Heavy farmers walks are my jam. The hill I do them on is at like a 30% grade too. It's brutal work, but the way it shocks your body causes serious strength and muscular endurance gains.

What are you training for? I always thought you trained as a powerlifter for some reason. Even if you're a runner I think you could benefit from loaded carries of some sort.

http://running.competitor.com/2014/08/training/uncommon-core-workouts-runners-farmers-carry_110232

I'm just saying you only need to do one single rep to reap the rewards! Shouldn't take you longer than 3-4 minutes to do. You can't spare that once or twice a week? I'm literally doing this on the side of our street with a safety vest. My neighbors probably think I'm a psychopath when they pass by and see me in a vest hauling weights up and down the hill.

:D

Yeah felt great after that workout! Heavy farmers walks are my jam. The hill I do them on is at like a 30% grade too. It's brutal work, but the way it shocks your body causes serious strength and muscular endurance gains.

What are you training for? I always thought you trained as a powerlifter for some reason. Even if you're a runner I think you could benefit from loaded carries of some sort.

http://running.competitor.com/2014/08/training/uncommon-core-workouts-runners-farmers-carry_110232

I'm just saying you only need to do one single rep to reap the rewards! Shouldn't take you longer than 3-4 minutes to do. You can't spare that once or twice a week? I'm literally doing this on the side of our street with a safety vest. My neighbors probably think I'm a psychopath when they pass by and see me in a vest hauling weights up and down the hill.
Sounds cool with the incline. Yeah I probably could fit it in, I'm just always struggling not exclude things because there's a lot I want to do.

Nah martial arts, primarily boxing, is my main thing. PLing, Track, running and various stength/stability exercises are just to enchance that. It's fun too though!

Sounds cool with the incline. Yeah I probably could fit it in, I'm just always struggling not exclude things because there's a lot I want to do.

Nah martial arts, primarily boxing, is my main thing. PLing, Track, running and various stength/stability exercises are just to enchance that. It's fun too though!

What's the name of that fighter you have an AV?

I think you'll get a lot of benefits from that as a fighter. If you can find 5 minutes twice a week, I think you'd see some radical change.

I totally get the struggle for time though. I just fit it in where I can.

What's the name of that fighter you have an AV?

I think you'll get a lot of benefits from that as a fighter. If you can find 5 minutes twice a week, I think you'd see some radical change.

I totally get the struggle for time though. I just fit it in where I can.
I'll try to see if I can fit it in. Any recommondations on how heavy it has to be? And just one rep to exhaustion?

You serious my man, you don't know who that is? That's Fedor my all time fav. Go me into MMA 10 years agg:

I'll try to see if I can fit it in. Any recommondations on how heavy it has to be? And just one rep to exhaustion?

You serious my man, you don't know who that is? That's Fedor my all time fav. Go me into MMA 10 years agg:

Honesty I say start with something light. Maybe go 1/2 your bodyweight split between your hands. So if you're 180, maybe start with 45 lbs. And just work up each week by a small percentage. It only needs to be one "rep", but you should be ready to pop a lung and fall in the ground by the time you get back. I would say 50 yards down then back up a steep hill is brutal, but highly effective. You could do a couple laps around the building instead of a hill. I use it as a finisher on my weightlifting days. Literally should only take about 5 minutes from grabbing the weights, going down and back up.

If you're a fighter, these things will really bring up your fight game. I'd even suggest doing endurance sets that match your round timings. That'll do way more for you than a few miles of running.

Yes fucking Fedor! Damn I had it on the tip of my tongue but I couldn't get anything from an image search. I'm ashamed I couldn't remember that. I kept thinking judo and sambo and was Google searching "Russian judo/sambo champion" but didn't pull it up. He was awesome in pride

Honesty I say start with something light. Maybe go 1/2 your bodyweight split between your hands. So if you're 180, maybe start with 45 lbs. And just work up each week by a small percentage. It only needs to be one "rep", but you should be ready to pop a lung and fall in the ground by the time you get back. I would say 50 yards down then back up a steep hill is brutal, but highly effective. You could do a couple laps around the building instead of a hill. I use it as a finisher on my weightlifting days. Literally should only take about 5 minutes from grabbing the weights, going down and back up.

If you're a fighter, these things will really bring up your fight game. I'd even suggest doing endurance sets that match your round timings. That'll do way more for you than a few miles of running.

Yes fucking Fedor! Damn I had it on the tip of my tongue but I couldn't get anything from an image search. I'm ashamed I couldn't remember that. I kept thinking judo and sambo and was Google searching "Russian judo/sambo champion" but didn't pull it up. He was awesome in pride
I'm 205lbs atm, will probably get down to 195lbs in the next few months. 6'2. Yeah I'll try to use them as finishers.

Haha yep, Fedor was the man back in the day. Such ferociousness, and incredible flow between grappling and striking. Awesome throws too.

I'm 205lbs atm, will probably get down to 195lbs in the next few months. 6'2. Yeah I'll try to use them as finishers.

Haha yep, Fedor was the man back in the day. Such ferociousness, and incredible flow between grappling and striking. Awesome throws too.

They will certainly give you juice! You'll shred a few extra pounds for sure. If you haven't tried them before, you will definitely understand the benefits after a few weeks. Head to toe muscular endurance. Imbalance correcting. Strengthens the chain.

Fedor was a monster! His throwing skills are absolutely A++. He was always a fighter that could take you from the clinch to the mat before you realize that you just got thrown.

Back