Anyone a Snake in the Grass?

sometimes switching teams is needed especially at top levels if u arnt getting the attention sparring coaching u need then by all means leave its a career nobody cares for you but you in this sport its a selfish mans game nobody's gonna look after u or give u a single fucking dime so u dont owe no gym no fuckin loyalty unless u r just a average joe training and coach let u do for free then u just leave him for someone else but pro fighters no u go where u need to to get better only u know how you feel

I'm with ya.

I got one of my gym's former fighters into training people. Because the guy has a head full of knowledge and it'd be a shame if it didn't get passed on. However, I did warn him: "As a trainer, most of your time is going to be spent waiting on people who aren't coming."
i fucken hate that i go to a gym to do cheap privates like 20 dollars a private for people to not show up n waste my time

owning a gym being a coach isnt all that tis cracked up to be especially when its new and your the only one there teaching running it

i fucken hate that i go to a gym to do cheap privates like 20 dollars a private for people to not show up n waste my time

owning a gym being a coach isnt all that tis cracked up to be especially when its new and your the only one there teaching running it

That's crazy that you do refunds. I mean unless they can provide a doctor's note or death certificate I can't imagine any other coaches are letting them get away with that.

mhm people dont give a fuck about other peoples time thats why at my gym i stopped letting guys pay cash monthly i said fuck this everyone on auto draft now cause people dont care if u go out of business even friends ended up screwin me over on payments

mhm people dont give a fuck about other peoples time thats why at my gym i stopped letting guys pay cash monthly i said fuck this everyone on auto draft now cause people dont care if u go out of business even friends ended up screwin me over on payments

Choose your friends wisely man, some try to con you some try to just get something out of you, and some try to get close to you to rob you.

I used to be big on gym loyalty but not anymore. Loyalty should be something earned not expected, it should also be reciprocated. I think cross training is good actually. Theres always 2 sides to the coin and so on and so forth, but I think this topic has been discussed several times already. At the end of the day a gym is a business and you are a customer so your free to go as you please.

Last edited:
I used to be big on gym loyalty but not anymore. Loyalty should be something earned not expected, it should also be reciprocated.
I agree that it should be earned. If you are paying your well-earned money to improve, you need to do what is best for you. I switched gyms after 3 years and moved to a gym that constantly produces top-ranked amateur fighters for this very reason.

I went to another boxing gym while staying at my current gym because I wasn't getting any sparring as there was only juniors at my gym. So I got sparring in at this other gym but continued to fight for my gym. But my original trainer got the hump about it despite the fact that he had me go into a fight with no sparring whatsoever. I was made to feel like a snake in the grass but what does he expect me to do if he doesn't give me any sparring??

I went to another boxing gym while staying at my current gym because I wasn't getting any sparring as there was only juniors at my gym. So I got sparring in at this other gym but continued to fight for my gym. But my original trainer got the hump about it despite the fact that he had me go into a fight with no sparring whatsoever. I was made to feel like a snake in the grass but what does he expect me to do if he doesn't give me any sparring??
Wait, your coach let you fight without ever having you spar? What kind of training were you doing? I can’t even imagine what my first fight would have been like if I had never gotten used to keeping my composure under pressure in a controlled environment. How did that fight go?

Wait, your coach let you fight without ever having you spar? What kind of training were you doing? I can’t even imagine what my first fight would have been like if I had never gotten used to keeping my composure under pressure in a controlled environment. How did that fight go?

That's what I'm saying, at least do some offense-defense, or do some live drilling.

It went really bad. I was just doing bag and pad work. It was my first ever fight and although I wasn't hurt I got stopped in the first round from a barrage of punches. I'm not one to blame others but it was hard not to be pissed off at my coach.

It went really bad. I was just doing bag and pad work. It was my first ever fight and although I wasn't hurt I got stopped in the first round from a barrage of punches. I'm not one to blame others but it was hard not to be pissed off at my coach.
I'm gonna go on a limb and guess that he didn't corner you on your fight?

Probably just didn’t know better. Bad coach

Damn brother, that’s terrible. Glad you weren’t hurt. That just goes to show how important it is to have a good coach with sound training methods.

When a gym has nothing left for you to learn, when you’re the best one in the room then it’s time to move on
I don’t 100% agree with the second part. It has a lot to do with personality, some people need to be the big fish in the small pond to get the best out of them. As long as they are getting good instruction and pushed by teammates that’s were some get the most out of training. When they go to a high end guys that’s not focused on them personally , they get lost in mediocrity.
Different strokes for different folks

I don't get this snake in the grass shit.

Only in martial arts do you get ridiculous loyalty & snake in the grass bullshit.

A teacher's job is to impart as much knowledge/wisdom to their students as possible and hopefully improve their students life in & out of class.

Teaching is meant to be a noble profession and one in which you should do what's best for your student - not for yourself.

When you're in school for example - I've never heard of a teacher demanding that students not learn from other teachers and that they remain loyal...

Yet I'm sure all of us here have been involved or heard stories through the grapevine of shit like this happening in gyms/dojos (bridges burned, loyalty brought up, organisation/gym politics etc) regardless of whatever grappling or striking style you do - it's very common.

Personally I admire the very very few instructors that don't care about the money and teach for free or to cover the expenses of renting training space. I've had the pleasure of meeting a few instructors like this and they are a dime in a dozen. They don't care whether you stay or go - just that you don't stop your journey wherever you are and that you keep training. That's how it should be imho.
I understand what your saying, but it depends on the relationship. If you’re going the extra mile, coming in to the gym just to help the guy out, studying tape for his fights, helping him with nutrition, then one day he just ghosts you and never comes back that’s a hard pill to swallow
If it’s a guy that goes to classes, pays for privates, etc no harm no foul

I don’t 100% agree with the second part. It has a lot to do with personality, some people need to be the big fish in the small pond to get the best out of them. As long as they are getting good instruction and pushed by teammates that’s were some get the most out of training. When they go to a high end guys that’s not focused on them personally , they get lost in mediocrity.
i see what you’re saying, and guys like that can work at places like that as long as they are losing rounds in house. Otherwise you’ll have to take them to get work in at other gyms

Sort of, but you always need to be growing and improving, being stale means death.

For me its the same with work (IT) , if I'm the division lead yet the tech they use is semi-outdated and have not much aspirations to improve there, I'm going to bounce in a year (at most) even if the pay is great; because me getting complacent means universities and other places are churning out the new gen of people who are adapting and growing which will mean I'm behind and have to play catch up.

So I feel even if youre crafty and can do well with less good partners, you need good partners to improve. I'm not by sby means a world beater, but one of my decisions to leave was that. The top guys happened to work nights so they trained in the mornings so I couldn't get them unless we planned for weekends. Meanwhile I was getting the scraps and they'd always cut things short due to intensity. I wasn't being a gym warrior either, but pushing the pace.

Last edited:
Back