Anyone attend a BJJ school that doesnt teach the "traditional" way?

As someone who was teaching the "competition" class twice a weak I was trying to keep the class focused on a few positions.
Sweeping people is a ton more important for competitions than say escaping mount.
Well i don't mean we would focus on certain positions for specific reasons. I mean instructors would spend a lot of time working X move or X position because they had just learned some new shit from there and they were stuck on that for a little bit. Example, a local instructor got caught up in the leg lock craze and was drilling almost entirely leg locks even with white belts. He eventually evened out but that's just one example.

I disagree with your last statement. Basic mount is a fundamental position. That's the kind of stuff you should be drilling right before you step on the mat. All positions are important and not that sweeps aren't fundamental, but basics win fights and mount escapes are bare bones Jiu-Jitsu. When your sweep fails and you get mounted...

Edit: let's not derail this thread. Your post just gave me an idea for a thread.

When your sweep fails and you get mounted...

...you loose unless you pull off something crazy. In IBJJF jiu jitsu like being 4 rounds down in a 5 round MMA fight. You can still win but you need to do something crazy or dominate your opponent.
In MMA the value of different skill is different.

...you loose unless you pull off something crazy. In IBJJF jiu jitsu like being 4 rounds down in a 5 round MMA fight. You can still win but you need to do something crazy or dominate your opponent.
In MMA the value of different skill is different.
Well yeah, yoully lose for sure if you don't escape mount. If you want to play this line of thinking you could argue that you should have taken your opponent down and avoided being on your back altogether.

Well yeah, yoully lose for sure if you don't escape mount. If you want to play this line of thinking you could argue that you should have taken your opponent down and avoided being on your back altogether.

You wanted to move the discussion to a different thread?

You wanted to move the discussion to a different thread?
Just created a pre competition warm up thread, I was going to make a 1-2 week prior to comp drills thread but I'm about to hit the road so I won't be able to do that unti later unless you want to get it started!

Last edited:
@SinkOrSwim

I was affiliated with a Rickson black belt for several years; he promoted me to brown belt.

His classes were the closest to a conceptual approach I've seen. There would be a long warmup of gymnastic and grappling movements, a short sequence of technique, then training.

Sounds pretty similar to a normal class. But he would not teach, for example, the four or so steps to a closed guard armbar. He would teach all the armbars and sweeps available after you control their posture and isolate a shoulder. He would always use technique to demonstrate the concept (as discussed above) but the main takeaway was always conceptual.

I liked his approach for a few reasons. First, beginners and advanced students could take the class together and it wouldn't slow things down. Second, the technique portion was short and sweet. Third, in my experience I always took something away from class, even when I wasn't focused on the position in my own drilling.

In a dream world, I'd be at an academy that taught a basics curriculum like the one above, and all intermediate or advanced classes would be drilling sessions a la Cicero Costha.

I busted out the whistle the other day. They had 10 seconds to complete the move, sets of 6. These dudes were gassing 2 rds in LOL. I give my highschool kids 6 seconds with sets of 10, 8 rounds

I busted out the whistle the other day. They had 10 seconds to complete the move, sets of 6. These dudes were gassing 2 rds in LOL. I give my highschool kids 6 seconds with sets of 10, 8 rounds

What moves did you have them do?

Like Asrken said on Joe Rogan's podcast, BJJ would benefit a lot if they used more wrestling coaching techniques.

We lack drilling, we lack positionnal sparring and we lack intensity.

We just lay around, talking, trying to find alternatives or other entries until it's rolling time

That's why I have a couple guys that I always drill with because I know they will work and drill properly

...this sounds neat too. I assume it's against a resisting opponent, yes?

I wondering if anyone goes to a BJJ club that doesnt teach the way most places do, ie: teach a few random techniques, drill them a few times, then roll.
Im getting a bit bored with this format and would rather work/drill concepts as opposed to single techniques.
If you do train at a place that does if different then the norm, whats do they do? How is the class structured? And do you think it works?

Yep. I do.

For fundamental program. It is a program that is split into 12 weeks .
It is based on position and actions
Week one is mount then week 2 is back...side control...knee on belly..north south..guard subs, guard pass, guard sweeps, top half guard , bottom half guard, turtle and conclude with questions and answers. I have 2 semester per year so we repeat the program twice per semester and therefore 4 times per year.

Basic easy warm up
Usually take down for drills.
Then topic of the week, concepts etc...drills techniques...a few round s of situational rolling, then a few rounds of takedown sparrimg then about one hour of rolling.
The topic for each week are written on the website calendar for 6 months at the time.

Advanced program is different.

The random technique style is so frustrating. What the hell is so hard picking a specific position for each class and then drilling a few different techniques from that position on that day? Or drilling multiple techniques from different positions that end up building a combination/chain at the end of the drilling session.

I'm fond of this format which was common at Hayastan.

warm up

roll a lot, 5-6 rounds with partner swapping. sometimes up to 10 rounds

after everyone is thoroughly warmed up now and anyone who can't manage their heart rate is gassed and won't be powering through bad technique we go technical

3-4 techniques that often start from the same position with variations based on how the opponent defends or responds, etc.

drill those for a while and after that break for the night.

Back