Anyone coach little league or play catch with youth? - Glove Suggestions?

I used to use a regular mitt, but as I've gotten older I switched to a softball glove. Looks the same to the kids so you avoid the blind old man jokes, but has a larger web to help with a kid's wild throw and with the coach's old man eyesight, lol. Good luck.

you got me curious with that one so I had to look it up.
The average fastball is between 50-60 mph for a pitcher in the Majors division ofLittle League (11-13 yo). Pitchers in the Little League World Series throw fastballs 60-70+ mph.Aug 15, 2015
Switch Pitching 101: Fastball Velocity - How fast do kids throw?
I couldn't imagine the 70 mph with the shorter distance, 46' that would be a bitch to hit.

I grew up playing baseball with these guys: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sean_Burnett and https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bobby_Bradley We were all on the middle school team together and played on several traveling teams with them. It was an insanely competitive area for baseball. A lot of kids were throwing 60-70 mph, but yes, it was a bitch to hit. I think I threw around 55-60, and I was not considered a fast pitcher.

FYI - a lot of the Rawlings gloves are 20% on Amazon Prime deal right now for Prime Days.

I can pick up a 33" Catcher's Mitt for $40. I might do that just to have in my stash of gloves. It should last many many years.

Outfielder's mitt for bigger catching area.

Outfielder's mitt for bigger catching area.

Some outfielder's gloves are 12-14" though. A first base mitt can be 12-13" and is a little wider and has more cushion. Well I guess the length is all about preference though. All the positions can range in size and length. I was just thinking about a first base mitt b/c they look different and kind of cool IMO and add a little padding to my palm :) - Plus I'm not fielding any grounders on a regular basis.

Some outfielder's gloves are 12-14" though. A first base mitt can be 12-13" and is a little wider and has more cushion. Well I guess the length is all about preference though. All the positions can range in size and length. I was just thinking about a first base mitt b/c they look different and kind of cool IMO and add a little padding to my palm :) - Plus I'm not fielding any grounders on a regular basis.
Perhaps the OF glove could be used for softball too.

Honestly, spend the money and buy a Nokona. No real break-in period just keep the bitch greased. Super comfortable too

And don't catch for a kid without a mask on, at the minimum. Cup would be a good idea as well.

They WILL be throwing in the dirt.
I just can't shake the suspicion that this thread might just be a string of innuendos that I'm not fully hip to due to a lack of baseball experience and my non-offender status. Or possibly tips on better kidnapping.

If not, all power to you, TS. Good luck with making a healthy and lawful positive impact on these kids' lives.

I just can't shake the suspicion that this thread might just be a string of innuendos that I'm not fully hip to due to a lack of baseball experience and my non-offender status. Or possibly tips on better kidnapping.

If not, all power to you, TS. Good luck with making a healthy and lawful positive impact on these kids' lives.
WTF are you talking about?

This place gets creepier by the day.

I've actually had to catch with a first baseman's glove as our team didn't have a left handed catchers mitt, but had a left handed first basements glove for some reason...it works but definitely wasn't ideal.

Back