Anyone compete in strongman?

neomage2021

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
I've done powerlifting on and off for the last 10 years. Recently bought some farmers handles for the hell of it and got into strongman. A friend who competes told me about an upcoming competition in June and I signed up for the LW men's division (175lbs). He competes in the 231lbs divsion.

Anyone have any recommendations or tips for your first comp?

Events and weights (for 175lbs) are:

Press Medley (keg and axle 1 rep each rotating for amrap in 60 seconds): 150lbs keg 200lb axle

Vehicle pull/Tire flip: arm-over-arm vehicle pull for 50’, then 50’ tire flip

Farmers walk: 100’ with a turn at 50’, no drops (60 seconds) 175lbs per hand

Atlas stone series: 5 stones loaded to 50" 200-270

I just ordered an axle. I will be able to go up to a gym an hour away once a week that has stones. I have never done stones at all. The rest we'll see. I can clean and press 200lbs no problem, but the axle is a different beast and never done that. I can do 100' with 175lbs for farmers walk but need to work on speed and my turn sucks.

Current weight is 166, so i'll be putting on some weight for this competition as well.

i think stones are the most awkward on the list. you should really try to mold your own stones. it's not that expensive.
lifting these big odd objects needs a lot of technique and flexibility depending on your body proportions which you only can learn from practice.
next thing coming near would be zercher deads or squats or lifting big tight packed sandbags. you better start a stretching routine because the lifting angles can be super awkward. being more flexible can be a huge difference.

a lot of this stuff has to do with pain tolerance and sheer grip strength/endurance.

you might also want to invest in a climbing rope. rarely will you find an exercise which fucks up your grip that hard like rope climbing on a really thick rope. you also can use it for pull ups or rowing exercises. you can also use thick towels to mimic this.

a helpful article:
http://www.dieselcrew.com/13-things-you-need-for-your-first-strongman-contest

have fun

i think stones are the most awkward on the list. you should really try to mold your own stones. it's not that expensive.
lifting these big odd objects needs a lot of technique and flexibility depending on your body proportions which you only can learn from practice.
next thing coming near would be zercher deads or squats or lifting big tight packed sandbags. you better start a stretching routine because the lifting angles can be super awkward. being more flexible can be a huge difference.

a lot of this stuff has to do with pain tolerance and sheer grip strength/endurance.

you might also want to invest in a climbing rope. rarely will you find an exercise which fucks up your grip that hard like rope climbing on a really thick rope. you also can use it for pull ups or rowing exercises. you can also use thick towels to mimic this.

a helpful article:
http://www.dieselcrew.com/13-things-you-need-for-your-first-strongman-contest

have fun

Thanks for the info. I do have some thick rope I can work with. I called up the place an hour away that has stones and they said I could borrow their stone molds as long as I'm a member. So I will still go up there to train on weekends and make some stones and just ordered a rogue yoke as well. Being in a college town I have also gotten a few kegs for free and over the next few weekends I'm going to go out in search of a some free tires.

Strict press?

Any form of leg drive allowed for the over head press medley.

I've never done one but my buddy told me to finish all of my powerlifting goals as strongman events are fun. I like the brute strength of the sport though and how you can leg drive, hitch on deadlifts, etc. just get the damn weight up.

Turns out I'm borderline strong enough to qualify for Australian nationals I'm gonna get into this it looks awesome!

Turns out I'm borderline strong enough to qualify for Australian nationals I'm gonna get into this it looks awesome!
Awesome!!!!

My axle bar and sled should be in today. Ordered a log that should be in early next week, and this weekend I'm picking up some stone molds from a strong man gym they are letting me borrow. I already have farmers handles. Time to get serious.

I originally bought some farmers handles a few months back as an accessory for powerlifting training, but it wa so fun I am definitely getting into strongman more and more.

Awesome!!!!

My axle bar and sled should be in today. Ordered a log that should be in early next week, and this weekend I'm picking up some stone molds from a strong man gym they are letting me borrow. I already have farmers handles. Time to get serious.

I originally bought some farmers handles a few months back as an accessory for powerlifting training, but it wa so fun I am definitely getting into strongman more and more.
Do you have a training log here bro?

Do you have a training log here bro?
I should definitely create a new one. I had one years ago when I was still doing amateur mma and powerlifting at the same time. I'll get one started up on Monday. Going to spend the weekend figuring out what my program will to train for this event. Just found out there is another strongman event near me at the end of may. I'll probably go watch that one. i have a friend competing there, but I'll stick with my plan ti do the June event.

Got my log in today. Bought a 10" log to learn on and will order a 12" log eventually. Practiced with it today and getting the basics down of the log went well. The continental clean and press with the axle bar though... that is going to take a lot of practice. My continental clean form is horrendous.

Back