Anyone else pumped up for the return of Shinya Aoki?

Reaaallyy want Aoki to sub Askren.
Ben wil probably get a UD though.

How will Askren win? On the feet? Going to the ground with Aoki will not be a smart move on Ben's part.
Tell that to Gilbert Melendez and he isn't half the wrestler Askren is. Aoki is going to get pummeled by a larger wrestler. In fact, he has been handled by much smaller wrestlers than Askren and KO'd by people smaller than himself.

The only thing I look forward to is the very real potential Aoki loses horribly. He's one fighter I have never liked at all. Guy is a true asshole.

Aoki has a chance but think low , Askren bigger , stronger and also a capable grappler. Ben should try to keep it standing and outstrike Aoki. Ben can also pound out Aoki but riskier early. It is still an interesting match up since Aoki always dangerous if get tangled up.

I can't see Aoki winning this, but he is tricky. It should be interesting to see whether Askren will choose to stay on the ground or the feet.

I was happy to see that it's being aired on The Fight Network.

People overrate Aoki so much. He's got phenomenal, crazy BJJ, sure, but he fights absolute nobodies. He had two fights against good western fighters in Melendez and Eddie, and he looked stupid.

Askren is horridly one-dimensional and boring, but what are the chances of Aoki catching him? Next to zero. He will get smothered by the bigger wrestler and he's not catching limb. I see a bad, one-sided battering UD, or maybe even a stoppage.

Been a fan for years. How can you not like the guy. Legit grappling and awesome submissions. Hope we see the old Aoki!!!

absolutely

I was on his fight finder this afternoon

say what you will about his personality, but the guy is a fucking octopus

such interesting, insectile grappling he's got. You can't give him an inch on the ground
I nicknamed him "slippery" when I first started watching him. Now my wife knows who I'm talking about if I mention slippery

I agree with everyone.
Hoping for a different sub.

It should be wickedfight with some awesome grappling. Askren retires an UNDEFEATED WW

I like him but he is going to get smashed by Askren. Sad to see him getting retired but it is what it is.

How will Askren win? On the feet? Going to the ground with Aoki will not be a smart move on Ben's part.
Any way he wants. Aoki is a master grappler when he's fighting guys who can't grapple. I like watching him fight, but let's be realistic about the people Aoki's fought for years. Askren should manhandle him however he wants.

I wish I could watch Shinya Aoki's bouts live in HD.

k-1_dynamite_shinya_aoki_vs_mizuto_hirota_2009-12-31.jpg

nope. Dude got KO'd by a cross-dressing COSPLAYer

I've always wanted to see him fight a certain Penn not Ben

Hopefully this doesn't turn into another Shaolin/Aoki where it's two amazing grapplers that spend 100% of fight attempting to kickbox each other.

It will probably look like the Giblert Melendez fight

Back