Anyone else pumped up for the return of Shinya Aoki?

People overrate Aoki so much. He's got phenomenal, crazy BJJ, sure, but he fights absolute nobodies. He had two fights against good western fighters in Melendez and Eddie, and he looked stupid.
Aoki has a submission victory over Eddie as well.

I've seen crazier upsets though

I know how suffocating Ben is on the mat, but Shinya is the tangliest octopus in the sea, and he can snatch up anything from any angle when he sees his spot

or it could wind up with him crying, ala Melendez, so

Ben has been getting finishes lately, and can always fall back on pokes

can't ever count Shinya out
I'm not counting him out but he is a touch past his prime and I don't see Ben being dumb enough to volunteer to be on the ground with him.

Comeback fight vs Ben Askren?

<6>

I don't know guys....

Unless he's somewhere eating horsemeat laced sushi, this on paper sounds like a bad idea

Definitely glad he's coming back but don't see him beating Askren.

Wicked bjj.
As a bjj guy myself.. I hold this lad in. High esteem..

great match up, doubt the male Ronda Rousey could beat Askren though

i see this fight going the way like Aoki's second fight with Sakurai to be honest.

Askren is to big and to strong for Aoki to handle.

He should have joined the UFC with those grappling pants.

fbksuq.jpg

That is what happened the last time Aoki fought a live body at WW. Got muscled and KO'd in under a minute by a way past his prime Mach.

I like Aoki, but he has no business fighting at WW. Hell, in 2017, he barely has any business fighting at LW. He's an average sized FW, and that's where he should be.

Didn't know this was happening but yeah its certainly interesting and could be a big test for Askren is Aoki hasn't dropped off too much.

fbksuq.jpg

That is what happened the last time Aoki fought a live body at WW. Got muscled and KO'd in under a minute by a way past his prime Mach.

I like Aoki, but he has no business fighting at WW. Hell, in 2017, he barely has any business fighting at LW. He's an average sized FW, and that's where he should be.

Honestly though that's the nature of Aoki isn't it? he could beat anyone quickly and could lose to them quickly.

I definitely am.

Very unique style, highest level of grappling skill.. and he's Japanese...

Wtf more can you ask for?

Don't like his chances against askren, Giblert controlled him.

How will Askren win? On the feet? Going to the ground with Aoki will not be a smart move on Ben's part.
Ben will smother him with that funky style and his pitter patter strikes for 5 rounds.

Back