Anyone ever encountered a traditional martial artist that hates MMA?

Exactly what I was thinking. If you have a half decent armbar, the other guy hitting a pressure point shouldn't even be a concern.

Sounds like you might just be a bitch, where I come from a well- executed armbar hurts way worse than a pressure point.

Yeah.. ok. But what about if you break someones arm, but he just takes it, and crushes your balls instead? I don't think that's worth it, no matter who wins or loses. You still lose. People have also shown that they can just take a broken arm if they really want, but how many people will take a crushed nutsac? Not many. You don't even need to feel the pain before you lose it and possibly pass out frmo the pain. I don't remember anyone passnig out from the pain of a broken joint before in mma(mainly from Aoki's fights heh). It doesn't even have to be the balls. If he just has a strong grip, and grabs your trachea/larynx, are you gonna trade subs with him? You'll break his arm/joint etc, but you'll be dead and have a crushed trachea. Again, definitely not worth it.

Dirty moves are dirty and banned because they are effective and deadly. I don't know why you guys are making fun of these techniques when they are meant to kill or do the most damage possible as fast and as easy as possible.

Last edited:
TMA = mcdojo crap

If you mean that many are fake and don't have realistic training/sparring etc to test their style/techniques on, then i agree. But if you think all TMA are worthless and have nothing to offer you, then you are just as stupid and deluded as the people who just hate on TMA for no real reason other than "It's not in MMA, so it must suck!".

history, tradition, mostly opinions, etc. people consider Judo, Jeet Kune Do, Kyokushin karate, Hapkido TMA's, but look how long they've been around. boxing and wrestling have been around forever but most wouldn't consider them tma.

I agreed with you in general, but i will have to disagree here. How is JKD a TMA? They cross train everything and basically ARE MMA. The REAL MMA, you know.. for the streets and not for competition with rules.. JKD was 'created' purely because Bruce thought that TMA's(Wing Chun in particular) were too much of a crystallization and not something that was forever evolving and changing. However, i don't agree with him, and i believe Wing Chun is able to evolve and is more based on a loose set of concepts(centerline, simultaneous attack/defense, always moving forwards etc), which defniitely still apply today and can be incorporated into whatever 'style' that you think you are from. IMO, every good martial artist that cross trains is doing JKD, including MMA, which is JKD, but with rules and for competition.

People think TMA is 'McDojos' etc, or something that doesn't work.. and they think that purely because it's not in MMA, rather than any valid objective criticism.

Jackie Chan hates MMA, he says its to brutal and he doesn't watch it.

just tell him your going to kick his ass and start attacking him, he will be forced to fight back

wasn't boxing considered useless for mma a few years ago? wasn't wrestling thought to be inferior to bjj not that long ago? then Machida comes along and starts beating these muay thai/bjj/wrestler type fighters with Karate and sumo, haha. I believe once the "mma fad" has disappeared mma will go back to it's original roots: tma's!

Actually striking in general was looked down upon in MMA like 15 years ago when boxers and muay thai fighters were losing and olympic wrestlers and Brazilian jiu-jitsu fighters were winning. Then Maurice Smith started winning then standup started getting taken more seriously and more respected. Now Machida is winning and there are countless threads about Shotokan Karate when maybe 6 years ago it was considered garbage.

True fighting has no rules. People who train traditional martial arts really do learn killing techniques, and probably do know how to kill some one. The issue is this: you can't practice those techniques without maiming or killing someone. So, people practice these kata in static form. In other words uke stands there and you simulate breaking his neck, etc. As those of us who work both types of arts know, most of it will never be appplied to a conscious opponent. It doesn't translate, period.

However, MMA doesn't either. I've had a thousand things happen to me in the real world that would get one disqualified in the octagon/ring. Nether "prepares" you for the life and death situation. If I had to choose one, I'd choose the art that involves maximum contact sparring. It is better than nothing.

Yeah.. ok. But what about if you break someones arm, but he just takes it, and crushes your balls instead? I don't think that's worth it, no matter who wins or loses. You still lose. People have also shown that they can just take a broken arm if they really want, but how many people will take a crushed nutsac? Not many. You don't even need to feel the pain before you lose it and possibly pass out frmo the pain. I don't remember anyone passnig out from the pain of a broken joint before in mma(mainly from Aoki's fights heh). It doesn't even have to be the balls. If he just has a strong grip, and grabs your trachea/larynx, are you gonna trade subs with him? You'll break his arm/joint etc, but you'll be dead and have a crushed trachea. Again, definitely not worth it.

Dirty moves are dirty and banned because they are effective and deadly. I don't know why you guys are making fun of these techniques when they are meant to kill or do the most damage possible as fast and as easy as possible.

A lot of TMA practitioners get that static mindset in which they say will counter X with Y technique. But say that technique fails or it fails to incapacitate the attacker they'll need some kind of alternative. No technique will work 100% of the time or stop the attacker 100% of the time. That kind of idea is counterproductive to a live sparring session or encounter.

A lot of TMA practitioners get that static mindset in which they say will counter X with Y technique. But say that technique fails or it fails to incapacitate the attacker they'll need some kind of alternative. No technique will work 100% of the time or stop the attacker 100% of the time. That kind of idea is counterproductive to a live sparring session or encounter.

No it is isnt you're wrong you lose.....nope , nope , nope , no ...no no ....NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO....HEE HAW HEE HAW HEE HAAAAW !!!

:icon_lol:

Last edited:
Yeah.. ok. But what about if you break someones arm, but he just takes it, and crushes your balls instead? I don't think that's worth it, no matter who wins or loses. You still lose. People have also shown that they can just take a broken arm if they really want, but how many people will take a crushed nutsac? Not many. You don't even need to feel the pain before you lose it and possibly pass out frmo the pain.

Wait.... (and I know it's ironic that it's me saying this),

how can he attack your balls when you're doing an armbar? His own armbarred arm is protecting you. An armbar is one of the safest moves possible because there's almost no way for him to counterattack you while you're performing it

how can he attack your balls when you're doing an armbar? His own armbarred arm is protecting you. An armbar is one of the safest moves possible because there's almost no way for him to counterattack you while you're performing it

Are we talking a standing arm bar or one on the ground?

If you are talking about an arm bar from mount,
the danger is in the transition. Once it's locked in
you should be safe (but not always).

I think the average practitioner of a TMA wouldn't do well against someone training MT/MMA in general because it's more practical in a real world situation.

Unless you've been bred in a Shaolin temple since a child I don't think TMA are very viable in a real world situation unless you're doing it to fight for your life as opposed to just smashing someone up.

And I don't think it would look as smooth and cool in a fight as it does in Rumble in the Bronx

I stopped wrestling in 2001 which is just about when
the whole MMA scene started taking off here in Australia.
My wrestling coach, refs and assistants often stated that
they found MMA disgusting. And they'd laugh at the sloppy
level of wrestling that was having success in MMA.

So yeah it's not just tma's that are critical of MMA.

I don't know much about the wrestling level in Australia.

But i always figured that our top level wrestlers who represented us in the Olympics were really equivalent to college wrestlers in the US.

Simply cause you never hear anything about Aussie wrestlers doing good in any type of wrestling event probz mostly due to the small amount of guys who actually do it and the level of instruction in this country probz isnt as good as US, Russia and the other major countries.

So by my theory guys like Hughes, Lesnar, Ortiz, GSP etc.. would mop the floor with our Olympic team! But pls correct me if im wrong :D

Used to watch UFC at uni with some mates, one of whom was a black belt in Japanese Jiu Jitsu... Whenever it went tot eh ground, after a few minutes, especially when someone was in side control, he'd be all 'if i was there I'd just do this', and 'well why doesnt he just move that way and get the guard back' etc etc etc.

Jesus it drove me insane, and worst is he was preaching it to everyone and anyone who'd listen. minors. still I'd never done any jiu jitsu before so i couldn't show him effectively lol. i wish it was that simple, i find it a right ass getting out of side control lol.

There are plenty of scenario's. I was merely replying to someone that he'd trade a eye gouge or pressure point strike and it would only make him more angry and he'd snap the guys arm in two. There are plenty of subs/positions that you could be in MMA that would be too dangerous to stay in for too long in real life because of these kinds of moves. You would never be able to keep someone down in real life for too long and not take some kind of damage(including biting, you want a huge chunk of your calf etc missing? I don't.). You would have to do these moves yourself or finish them off asap with strikes too. Basically you use everything. People that use everything > people that just do MMA style BJJ.

blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblah........ you use everything. People that use everything > people that just do MMA style BJJ.

^ now , is this from your own experience or more empty hypothesis ?

^ now , is this from your own experience or more empty hypothesis ?

I know you're still hurting from when i owned you like 2 weeks ago, but get over it already dude. You don't have to follow me around and spam one liner trolls as a reply to my every post. lol

Oh, i forgot that it helps your post count. Mods, check out this fools posting history if you're bored and decide to ever do something about the noise on these forums.

Back