Anyone ever encountered a traditional martial artist that hates MMA?

I know you're still hurting from when i owned you like 2 weeks ago,
QUOTE]

are you on drugs or is it just that all TMAists are naturally stupid ?
what 'owning' are you talking about ?

i hope to god you're not still going on about Jackie Chan beating all MMA fighters !

u wanna post a link to your revisionist delusions ?

:icon_lol:

I know you're still hurting from when i owned you like 2 weeks ago,
QUOTE]

are you on drugs or is it just that all TMAists are naturally stupid ?
what 'owning' are you talking about ?

i hope to god you're not still going on about Jackie Chan beating all MMA fighters !

u wanna post a link to your revisionist delusions ?

:icon_lol:

Stop talking to me troll. Go get your post count at someone elses expense

There's effective use in TMA and MMA. But both sides will argue until the end of time that the one they don't do is useless and that they will reign supreme.

The best solution is to cross train and learn about both of them, and actually do a mix of martial arts (see what I did there).

Yeah. In college there was this middle aged Shotokan Karate guy who also taught at the school gym, and whenever I saw him, he'd be badmouthing the Muay Thai class (which I was trying to take) and the BJJ club. He made up all of this nonsense and etc, and confused MT with MMA. I would have loved to see my instructor, a former professional fighter in Thailand and former NHB fighter, shut him up.

Also, it's pretty funny how all of the martial arts classes/clubs at my school dislike each other. BJJ was mad at us for taking their time slot. Tae Kwon Do club is pretty arrogant and hates everyone. I overheard the Aikido instructor say something about it being "real budo, not this cagefighting shit."

The only TMArtists I know actually encourage cross-training. But of course, when I apply it against them they don't generally understand it. You won't hardly ever see leg kicks or knees or elbows at the karate studio I go to, except for me every once in a while.

There are plenty of scenario's. I was merely replying to someone that he'd trade a eye gouge or pressure point strike and it would only make him more angry and he'd snap the guys arm in two. There are plenty of subs/positions that you could be in MMA that would be too dangerous to stay in for too long in real life because of these kinds of moves. You would never be able to keep someone down in real life for too long and not take some kind of damage(including biting, you want a huge chunk of your calf etc missing? I don't.). You would have to do these moves yourself or finish them off asap with strikes too. Basically you use everything. People that use everything > people that just do MMA style BJJ.

people on here kept dissing me too because I said that eye gouges and groin grabs and whatnot are things you need to watch out for on the street that bjjer's might not be accustomed to. But, if you have an armbar on the ground, you can break their arm in maybe 1-2 seconds. One of the gracies (I forget if it was royce or rickson or whoever, sorry) did that to someone in one of the first ufc's I think it was, just broke the guy's arm in under 2 seconds because the ref didnt stop it in time. You can't lose a chunk of flesh in under 2 seconds to a bite, because your leg isn't over their mouth to begin with. If you look at martial arts that actual focus on biting (which isn't many)-- kino mutai focuses on small repeated incisor bites in a circular pattern to eventually remove a piece of flesh. You can't just grab a mouthful and expect it all to come off. It just isn't happening. Human jaws are not like lions'. As for the kino mutai reference, you can look it up. The worst that's going to happen to you while you're performing an armbar on the ground is that in those 2 seconds he tries to move his mouth toward your leg in a futile attempt to do something about his arm before realizing his arm is already broken.

There's a lot wrong with traditional martial arts. Here's what I will say.

Let's take karate for example. You walk into a typical dojo and some guy is in there who appears to be the blackbelt instructor. He will demand respect from you and have you run through endless katas. He will fill your head with utter BS about the deadliness and lethality of his ancient techniques and how the UFC cannot handle the deadliness of his techniques. How Shaolin monks and Ninjas used them to instantly kill people through the centuries.

If you stick around, continue to pay the fees he will move you up in rank until you are a BB badass. Chances are you have never sparred in your life and your instructor has never even been close to a real confrontation. Since you are such a badass your instructor will of course tell you to break out your karate when threatened right? NO! The advice is to walk away. So you just spent all this time and money so you could run from a fight awesome.

Maybe some karate "BB" does not heed this advice and talks crap to a guy in a bar and promptly gets smashed by some drunk redneck. He goes back to the instructor and demands his $8000 back and the instructor tells him he should have walked away.

This is why BJJ and Muay Thai are so effective. I roll and spar against a live opponent EVERY CLASS in both BJJ and MT. No one is going to respect me if I get my ass kicked in class. In karate I have to respect some fat POS because he's a "higher belt" when he's NEVER proven himself in so much as a sparring session..

TMA are broken and 90% BS. Even Bruce Lee figured that out..

The best solution is to cross train and learn about both of them, and actually do a mix of martial arts (see what I did there).

yep, my favorite part about switching to an mma gym is that I have the ability to do whatever I want. Im sure if I start doing something a little obscure the average cage fighter will think its odd- but no ones gonna stop me. I like training in "mma" styles and then continuing my personal growth/cherry picking from stuff ive seen on my own between classes. If I want to learn a weird strike, Ill practice it myself- Best way to get the "best of both worlds".

Let's take karate for example. You walk into a typical dojo and some guy is in there who appears to be the blackbelt instructor. He will demand respect from you and have you run through endless katas. He will fill your head with utter BS about the deadliness and lethality of his ancient techniques and how the UFC cannot handle the deadliness of his techniques. How Shaolin monks and Ninjas used them to instantly kill people through the centuries.

If you stick around, continue to pay the fees he will move you up in rank until you are a BB badass. Chances are you have never sparred in your life and your instructor has never even been close to a real confrontation. Since you are such a badass your instructor will of course tell you to break out your karate when threatened right? NO! The advice is to walk away. So you just spent all this time and money so you could run from a fight awesome.

Maybe some karate "BB" does not heed this advice and talks crap to a guy in a bar and promptly gets smashed by some drunk redneck. He goes back to the instructor and demands his $8000 back and the instructor tells him he should have walked away.

This is why BJJ and Muay Thai are so effective. I roll and spar against a live opponent EVERY CLASS in both BJJ and MT. No one is going to respect me if I get my ass kicked in class. In karate I have to respect some fat POS because he's a "higher belt" when he's NEVER proven himself in so much as a sparring session..

Back in the days, a lot of traditional karate or taekwondo idiots all hate Bruce Lee because Bruce Lee outted them as useless mcdojo sorry ass wannabe fighters. And Bruce Lee was right!

traditional martial artists = a bunch of loser mcdojo idiots

Typical ignorant posting you find on this site. Any style has its pros and cons, of course there are mcdojos, you think there are no MT mcdojos? a lot of the supposedly "legit" gyms i've trained at have offered "muay thai" yet we never trained in elbows, dedicated no time to clinching and once in a while class was taught by an out of shape woman, I never went back. I trained in MT for 6 years and just recently decided to give a Kyokushin offshoot a try (Kyokushin + Judo + BJJ) we train for "Kudo". The instructor is a legitimate 3rd dan blackbelt from Japan, has competed at the Kudo world tournament and we spar every class bare knuckle knockdown rules, also do pancrase rules + k1 rules and train for every style. It is cheaper than any MT gym i've ever trained at and I have never been pushed physically harder or have had better and more practical teaching in my life.

Now the argument is if you consider that style of karate a TMA or not since it was created in 1980.. it's more of an MMA fighter system based of off Kyokushin. The point is, a true martial artist is open minded, you think Anderson is a moron for training Aikido? or Vitor Belfort for training Shotokan? because I guarantee they would put a whooping on any poster on this forum.

i don't care what someone trains, if you have the balls to go into the ring/cage/whatever and spar, maybe even fight, full contact, you're legit. everyone else is a poser.
obviously there are exceptions like if you're too old/injured/whatever, but i doubt those will go around badmouthing others, though assholes will be assholes forever.
and seriously, if someone claims to be the n1 badass in front of me, i'll offer them to come to the gym and train with me and the other guys there.

i don't care what someone trains, if you have the balls to go into the ring/cage/whatever and spar, maybe even fight, full contact, you're legit. everyone else is a poser.
obviously there are exceptions like if you're too old/injured/whatever, but i doubt those will go around badmouthing others, though assholes will be assholes forever.
and seriously, if someone claims to be the n1 badass in front of me, i'll offer them to come to the gym and train with me and the other guys there.

Exactly, anybody who considers themselves a true martial artist would not be so close minded, aggressive and ignorant. After all, we are all one big family no? I don't care what Martial Art you are from, a Martial Artist is a Martial Artist in my books. If you step into the ring and dedicate your life to training and improving yourself I will respect that. My base is Muay Thai and am currently doing a kyokushin system (bjj + judo + MT techniques added) and every other fighter i've met i've shown respect to whether they be a boxer, kickboxer, judoka, karateka etc..

Dragging up a dead thread maybe, but I started off training in Japanese JJ, lots of mat etiquette and staying true to the art, however MMA was openly welcomed in our dojo. We had Muay Thai instructors come in and teach us techniques as well as BJJ instructors. Was a great club, sadly I cannot train there anymore :icon_sad:

Typical ignorant posting you find on this site. Any style has its pros and cons, of course there are mcdojos, you think there are no MT mcdojos? a lot of the supposedly "legit" gyms i've trained at have offered "muay thai" yet we never trained in elbows, dedicated no time to clinching and once in a while class was taught by an out of shape woman, I never went back. I trained in MT for 6 years and just recently decided to give a Kyokushin offshoot a try (Kyokushin + Judo + BJJ) we train for "Kudo". The instructor is a legitimate 3rd dan blackbelt from Japan, has competed at the Kudo world tournament and we spar every class bare knuckle knockdown rules, also do pancrase rules + k1 rules and train for every style. It is cheaper than any MT gym i've ever trained at and I have never been pushed physically harder or have had better and more practical teaching in my life.

Now the argument is if you consider that style of karate a TMA or not since it was created in 1980.. it's more of an MMA fighter system based of off Kyokushin. The point is, a true martial artist is open minded, you think Anderson is a moron for training Aikido? or Vitor Belfort for training Shotokan? because I guarantee they would put a whooping on any poster on this forum.

LOL. Every time this argument breaks out someone brings up Kyokushin.What people don't understand is Kyokushin was developed its founder because karate instruction even in Japan was becoming total BS and they wanted a more full contact variety as an alternative. It was founded in 1964. BJJ is 50 years is older than Kyokushin. Kyokushin is basically an attempt to make training karate more like training Muay Thai. I would not consider Kyokushin a "TMA" at all honestly. TMA's are Okinawan karate, Kung-Fu, Korean forms, etc.

Look I love the whole "art" part of martial arts. But there has to be a line in the sand somewhere for no other reason that students need to be able to determine where best to spend their time, energy, and money. If you don't spar or roll, it's just not very useful, sorry. And TMA needs to stop with the whole "secret ninja monk techniques that kill instantly" garbage. It is TOTAL BS and only discredits the TMA's further. Just say you train in a TMA for reasons other than fighting, it's OK to say that..

A lot of TMA's don't care for mma, but that's mostly because of the image it portrays to the mass media (punks and wannabe-gangsta's covered in tattoos and blood). A lot of TMA schools make their living off of teaching children and don't want to get involved with that kind of negativity. Children aside, traditional martial arts puts a very strong emphasis on character and respect, which is frankly lacking in mma with a lot of fighters. However, some of the best fighters in the world are TMA's, and I for one would love to see some of the top level traditionalists get into mma.

LOL. Every time this argument breaks out someone brings up Kyokushin.What people don't understand is Kyokushin was developed its founder because karate instruction even in Japan was becoming total BS and they wanted a more full contact variety as an alternative. It was founded in 1964.

actually kyokushin was officially founded 1957, with a earlier, unnamed, proto-style being started up 1953. What was founded 1964 was the international organization, which was necessary because there was so many kyokushin dojos around.
but whatever.

What annoys me is that you say that kyokushin was created to make karate more similar to MT. That is so wrong that it is stunning.
Kyokushin was created because the founder and a group of likeminded liked to sparr and sparr hard. They didnt get to do that as much as they wanted in the goju ryu dojo they belonged to earlier, as that focused more and more on point sparring.

LOL. Every time this argument breaks out someone brings up Kyokushin.What people don't understand is Kyokushin was developed its founder because karate instruction even in Japan was becoming total BS and they wanted a more full contact variety as an alternative. It was founded in 1964. BJJ is 50 years is older than Kyokushin. Kyokushin is basically an attempt to make training karate more like training Muay Thai. I would not consider Kyokushin a "TMA" at all honestly. TMA's are Okinawan karate, Kung-Fu, Korean forms, etc.
Dude, I've done Kyokyshin for 3 years now. It's a TMA. And your argument that Oyama was trying to make Karate more like MT is BULL SHIT. He never experienced Muay Thai; he simply tried to develop a form of karate that concentrated on sparring rather than Kata. However, walk into any proper Kyokushin dojo and you'll find people doing kata and basics as well as some full on sparring. Learn what you're talking about before you shoot your mouth off.

Last edited:
All the things that TMA's cop shit for are also found in modern martial arts
like BJJ:

A code of gym/dojo ethics - show respect to the teacher and other students.
Techniques that are solely for use in competition.
A formalised system of progression - belts/grading system.
And an embelished history (ie Rickson's 400 'fights') it's students take as gospel.

Look I love the whole "art" part of martial arts. But there has to be a line in the sand somewhere for no other reason that students need to be able to determine where best to spend their time, energy, and money. If you don't spar or roll, it's just not very useful, sorry. And TMA needs to stop with the whole "secret ninja monk techniques that kill instantly" garbage. It is TOTAL BS and only discredits the TMA's further. Just say you train in a TMA for reasons other than fighting, it's OK to say that..

I'm missing the point of this post... I already said that some would consider Kyokushin/Kyokushin offshoots not a TMA, and not to mention my first martial art ever was Muay Thai and I did it religiously for the past 6 years + MMA training and went 3-0 as an ammy. Are you trying to argue against me or supporting what i'm saying about Kyokushin not being a TMA and being effective? We do nothing that any BJJ school doesn't do, we have a belt system and show respect on the mat and to the dojo.. (i've only been training in this for 3 weeks after switching from MT just to mix it up after all these years).

It doesn't matter the style as much as it does if you do realistic full contact sparring. In the past 3 weeks i've done harder full contact than I ever did in 6 years of MT + 2 years MMA (Kudo rules + headbutts in sparring).

Back