Anyone feel completely mediocre?

you realize most people are average. we can't all be special and gifted.

yes most people level from sucking to just trying to make it through the day the best they know how.

the special and gifted are few, I should know, I'm one of them.

Is being mediocre a bad thing? I don't get it, by definition, most people are mediocre. Not everyone is destined for greatness, and it should be something that a lot of adults need to come to terms with. I am not super talented in any particular area. So I am "mediocre" but I do try to lead a fulfilling and meaningful life, and you make the important people in your life feel extraordinary.

Is being mediocre a bad thing? I don't get it, by definition, most people are mediocre. Not everyone is destined for greatness, and it should be something that a lot of adults need to come to terms with. I am not super talented in any particular area. So I am "mediocre" but I do try to lead a fulfilling and meaningful life, and you make the important people in your life feel extraordinary.

I think it's a tough pill to swallow that the vast majority of people are nothing special and are easily replaceable. I think it's natural to want to be needed by the people around them but that's simply not the case.

I'm actually satisfied that I've pretty much had a life of mediocrity. You know, it could have been worse. So far I've been employed, been in a decent relationship, have a good kid. Pretty average. I haven't set the world on fire but I haven't really had any big lows either. Even Steven.

I'm actually satisfied that I've pretty much had a life of mediocrity. You know, it could have been worse. So far I've been employed, been in a decent relationship, have a good kid. Pretty average. I haven't set the world on fire but I haven't really had any big lows either. Even Steven.

Fair enough but I'd rather be average and take a few risks and if that means enduring a few really low lows, so be it.

Fair enough but I'd rather be average and take a few risks and if that means enduring a few really low lows, so be it.
What sort of risks are we talking? I've done plenty, tried plenty and I've been overall more successful than not. My biggest dreams didn't come true but thats true for 99.9999999999999% of the population. I won't dwell on it.

What sort of risks are we talking? I've done plenty, tried plenty and I've been overall more successful than not. My biggest dreams didn't come true but thats true for 99.9999999999999% of the population. I won't dwell on it.

Depends on you I suppose. Did you take any steps towards achieving your biggest dreams?

I never really had any dreams tbh.

well you're about to hit the 100k post mark, a feat that only one other Sherdogger has achieved. Puts you in elite company.

I have these doubts once a year, but prove myself wrong slowly as I go along. I just see it as a common anxiety, and know I'm not the only one who feels it. Is life.

Think about it this way:

1. For every person that is elite, it makes other people more mediocre by comparison

2. But by being mediocre yourself, you help boost somebody else into elite status

3. They basically owe you everything

This reminds me of a documentary on the tv show Geeks and Freaks. The show was a failure but the creator especially Apatow made a mission to make actors like Seth Rogan stars because he hated the TV exec who cancelled the show and most of the actors were written off as not star quality. Sometimes, life rewards the underdogs. But you have to have some sort of talent. One character who stars in Forgetting Sarah Marshall played this kid who knows he doesn’t have the talent of a great drummer. That’s rough when you’re only in your teens.

Do you need to be delusional in a way?

I never recall watching the show. Anyone a fan of the show?

I think it's a tough pill to swallow that the vast majority of people are nothing special and are easily replaceable. I think it's natural to want to be needed by the people around them but that's simply not the case.

Although I agree that the vast majority of people are nothing special, I do think that talent is very common. Most people with talent don’t do much with it though. That’s why so many people are mediocre.

I don't have any talents. I think I'm average athletically although if I'm being honest I think my coordination is below average which is why I never really got into ball sports. I might be somewhat naturally stronger and muscular than most guys, but it's not by a huge margin either. I'm not musically talented and my singing is absolutely mediocre. So is my dancing. So is my writing. I don't think I'm stupid, but I'm definitely not a genius either. I was never bad enough at my jobs to get fired, but I never excelled and stood out either. I'm just socially skilled enough to not be totally awkward in social situations. I'm short and (maybe slightly above) average looking, and make just enough money to have a "normal" life.

I'm in my 30s I still haven't found anything I'm really talented at and everything I do just seems "passable." I'm a passable person.. I guess I should count my blessings I'm at not at least terrible. It kind of sucks not knowing what you're good at, assuming I even have a talent.

Anyone else feel this way? Is this most people? Did anyone find their talent later in life?
What is talent?

The ability to make money?

Not really, honestly at 38, things are going better than ever. Happily married, good savings account, solid career doing something I really enjoy in a location that I’ve wanted to be in for years. I’m pretty solid with the athletics even though I’m past my prime.

Have you gone to college??? Do you have a career??? You sort of seem poor and below average by most metrics.
Your life seems incredibly similar to OP’s, just with a different outloook.

The worst is when you get a glimpse of that Best Possible Version of yourself. Then you see how extraordinary you could have been, if things had worked out a little differently.

This reminds me of a documentary on the tv show Geeks and Freaks. The show was a failure but the creator especially Apatow made a mission to make actors like Seth Rogan stars because he hated the TV exec who cancelled the show and most of the actors were written off as not star quality. Sometimes, life rewards the underdogs. But you have to have some sort of talent. One character who stars in Forgetting Sarah Marshall played this kid who knows he doesn’t have the talent of a great drummer. That’s rough when you’re only in your teens.

Do you need to be delusional in a way?

I never recall watching the show. Anyone a fan of the show?
It's on Netflix now. Watched it recently and I liked it. Compared to what else was on tv at the time, I think it's pretty good. I was only barely aware it existed at the time, didn't watch much tv back then tbh. Wish there was more than one season, it tackled some interesting issues other shows didn't, and the characters were surprisingly layered and self aware

Self aware, can throw hands, is in good shape, bilingual, can write a coherent and concise post. Those qualities aren't usually bundled into the "average" dude. Slap some confidence into the man in the mirror.

Back