Anyone feel completely mediocre?

The worst is when you get a glimpse of that Best Possible Version of yourself. Then you see how extraordinary you could have been, if things had worked out a little differently.

Care to expand on this? How, when, where, and why did you get a glimpse of who you could be?

Care to expand on this? How, when, where, and why did you get a glimpse of who you could be?
Nothing too fancy, but there was a point where I was the person everyone around me came to for help and advice. Had a couple friends having a hard time, and I was the one they would come to for help. Was a good role model for my friends kids. People at work respected me, I'd become the go to guy for training new people in my department.

I was a top three performer in my department, usually number one, making good money. People wanted me to apply for management so they could work for me, because I was results oriented without being an asshole about it. People that I trained knew what the fuck they were doing, because I have a good eye for the little details.

Overall for the first time I felt liked and respected by everyone around me, and I felt like I had the resources to make a difference and help people, which was the kind of life I wanted to have. Not that long before I was dead broke, physically ill, and nearly homeless. I even ended up with a family like relationship with an older lady I worked with. I wasn't talking to my parents, so she ended up helping me plan out a lot of the details for my wedding and we grew really close.

I've always wanted to feel like part of a community, which was difficult for me being so introverted. I felt like I'd taken some rough situations and turned them into positives through sheer force of will, and I actually felt like an adult for the first time in my life. Like I was watching as I shaped myself into the person I always wanted to be in real time. I look back on it as the rocky montage period of my life.

Look at the traits of those you admire and that becomes the bar.

OP is nonsensical. You could be a super overachiever and disappointed in your own effort/success, or a wake and bake'r who thinks they're hitting it out of the park, in life.

I don't have any talents. I think I'm average athletically although if I'm being honest I think my coordination is below average which is why I never really got into ball sports. I might be somewhat naturally stronger and muscular than most guys, but it's not by a huge margin either. I'm not musically talented and my singing is absolutely mediocre. So is my dancing. So is my writing. I don't think I'm stupid, but I'm definitely not a genius either. I was never bad enough at my jobs to get fired, but I never excelled and stood out either. I'm just socially skilled enough to not be totally awkward in social situations. I'm short and (maybe slightly above) average looking, and make just enough money to have a "normal" life.

I'm in my 30s I still haven't found anything I'm really talented at and everything I do just seems "passable." I'm a passable person.. I guess I should count my blessings I'm at not at least terrible. It kind of sucks not knowing what you're good at, assuming I even have a talent.

Anyone else feel this way? Is this most people? Did anyone find their talent later in life?
Have you travelled much?
Sounds like you could use a change of scenery

We’re the middle children of history, man. No purpose or place. We have no Great War. No Great Depression. Our Great War’s a spiritual war… our Great Depression is our lives. We’ve all been raised on television to believe that one day we’d all be millionaires, and movie gods, and rock stars. But we won’t. And we’re slowly learning that fact. And we’re very, very pissed off.

Really though, mediocrity is a comparison with everybody else in the world. Fuck everybody else.
In 100 years from now everybody’s bones will be dust and their achievements forgotten. 100000years, there’ll be no life on the planet, and yet the universe will keep turning.
Live for you and now and the ones you love.

It sounds less like a problem with talent and more about a problem with work ethic.

With mediocre talent but consistent work you can be greater than the vast majority of people at anything you want. Then people will look at you and say "Wow, he's so talented. I'll never achieve what he has because I don't have talent."

Everyone has special gifts , everyone has things that they excel in, the problem is the programming , the culture, and the society..These collectively place false ideas in our heads as to what is important.

Many people are asleep as they go through this life, the very nature of your question highlights one of the things that make you special..

Its not at all what you think...

By definition, the average person is average in most things. I'm good at a lot of shit, but nothing I can win a talent show from.

But to answer your question. No, I don't feel mediocre. I realize how stupid the average person is.

Hell no. I have way too much ego and pride to be mediocre all around. I have high expectations, but I don't let it take away from what I've done and capable of doing. It's been this way since childhood.

Just remember just because you 'feel' mediocre, doesn't mean you are. Now in terms of your manlet status...that's real.

giphy.gif

Really though, mediocrity is a comparison with everybody else in the world. Fuck everybody else.
In 100 years from now everybody’s bones will be dust and their achievements forgotten. 100000years, there’ll be no life on the planet, and yet the universe will keep turning.
Live for you and now and the ones you love.

Just for the record, in 100 years, most of our bones will be in perfectly good condition.

Also, many people alive today will achieve things that will be remembered in 100 years.

Everything else in your post is spot on.

What do you enjoy doing for fun? Fulfillment doesn’t have to come from your job. It’s great if it does, but if it doesn’t then just use the money from the job to fund the things that fulfill you.
Declutter your life. Downsize everything. Keep only what you really love.
Give money away. Sponsor a child through Compassion International. Get to know a homeless person and take them to lunch once a week. Volunteer in a shelter.
Go backpacking. Start small and acquire the skills and gear as you progress. Have amazing adventures.
Find a good church in your area and get plugged in. You might be surprised by how accepting people are.
Fucking great idea, Im on the Compassion International website now. Im going to sponsor a kid who has my same birthdate. I think it would be a great thing to show my kids and give them someone to write to. Any other volunteer ideas? Thanks.

I don't have any talents. I think I'm average athletically although if I'm being honest I think my coordination is below average which is why I never really got into ball sports. I might be somewhat naturally stronger and muscular than most guys, but it's not by a huge margin either. I'm not musically talented and my singing is absolutely mediocre. So is my dancing. So is my writing. I don't think I'm stupid, but I'm definitely not a genius either. I was never bad enough at my jobs to get fired, but I never excelled and stood out either. I'm just socially skilled enough to not be totally awkward in social situations. I'm short and (maybe slightly above) average looking, and make just enough money to have a "normal" life.

I'm in my 30s I still haven't found anything I'm really talented at and everything I do just seems "passable." I'm a passable person.. I guess I should count my blessings I'm at not at least terrible. It kind of sucks not knowing what you're good at, assuming I even have a talent.

Anyone else feel this way? Is this most people? Did anyone find their talent later in life?
My cousin got in an accident when he was 18 that left him brain damaged. He requires 16 hour a day nursing care now.

My girlfriend passed away almost 2 months ago at the age of 27. I walk by people in dtla who look like they're having a rough life.

Be happy with what you got and keep making good choices for yourself and those you love. You're captain of your life.

Buddy you need some prozac ASAP!!

Go change the world and quit being so beta and average. Gym, Conversation, Money, Charm, Sell sell sell!!!

Fucking great idea, Im on the Compassion International website now. Im going to sponsor a kid who has my same birthdate. I think it would be a great thing to show my kids and give them someone to write to. Any other volunteer ideas? Thanks.
Coach a team, mentor a student, volunteer at a local annual communal event (4th of July, Thanksgiving, Easter)

I sponsored a kid with my son’s birthday. He’s from West Africa where I’ve been a few times.
There are a couple of places I volunteer.
One is a retirement community. There’s is a lot to do there. Teach computer classes, help in the library, work puzzles, all sorts of stuff. People there go crazy for younger folks hanging around (and I’m not even young).
The other is a homeless center. It’s maybe not quite as rewarding. It’s hard work, but it’s necessary and it definitely keeps things in perspective.

Just for the record, in 100 years, most of our bones will be in perfectly good condition.

Also, many people alive today will achieve things that will be remembered in 100 years.

Everything else in your post is spot on.
I know somebody would be pedantic, thanks for not letting me down.

As for acheving things that will be remembered in 100 year, these 7.5 BILLION people in the world right now, there will be round 11 BILLION new ones in 100 years. Good luck luck with that, the chances of you being more than an anonymous footnote on a random document are slim.

Back