Anyone got experience with Kia Picantos?

CyberRubberDuck

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Random question, I can't find it on Google anywhere.
I work with a Indian guy who's wife has just allowed her works car to roll off down a hill, nearly ran several people over, and then demolished a brick wall and came to a standstill with the back end pointing up at the sky. Luckily no one was hurt. The car in question is an automatic. But my colleague swears blind that the gear stick only has positions D, N and R. With a plus and minus presumably for manual gear changes. He insists there is no parking gear. I for one have never heard of an auto having no P on the selector. It would therefore mean the car relies solely on the handbrake for keeping the car stationary on a steep hill. Our highway code states that when parked, a vehicle should be left in gear as well as having the handbrake/parking brake applied. So I'm a bit baffled as to whether this car really has just a hand brake and no gear to engage for that extra reassurance of keeping the car still.
I'm a bit doubtful of his explanation as he's desperate to blame someone other than his wife, as he's only here on her work sponsorship, and it was her work's car that they'd let her borrow after writing her own car off on Sunday after driving through about 18 inches of water and blowing the engine. If she gets sacked, they're getting sent home. It's for her workplace to decide but I'm looking for info to see if I can give him some sort of argument to use, because from what he said, she's maybe getting sacked tomorrow.

oil-motor.gif

Random question, I can't find it on Google anywhere.
I work with a Indian guy who's wife has just allowed her works car to roll off down a hill, nearly ran several people over, and then demolished a brick wall and came to a standstill with the back end pointing up at the sky. Luckily no one was hurt. The car in question is an automatic. But my colleague swears blind that the gear stick only has positions D, N and R. With a plus and minus presumably for manual gear changes. He insists there is no parking gear. I for one have never heard of an auto having no P on the selector. It would therefore mean the car relies solely on the handbrake for keeping the car stationary on a steep hill. Our highway code states that when parked, a vehicle should be left in gear as well as having the handbrake/parking brake applied. So I'm a bit baffled as to whether this car really has just a hand brake and no gear to engage for that extra reassurance of keeping the car still.
I'm a bit doubtful of his explanation as he's desperate to blame someone other than his wife, as he's only here on her work sponsorship, and it was her work's car that they'd let her borrow after writing her own car off on Sunday after driving through about 18 inches of water and blowing the engine. If she gets sacked, they're getting sent home. It's for her workplace to decide but I'm looking for info to see if I can give him some sort of argument to use, because from what he said, she's maybe getting sacked tomorrow.
My neighbour has one of these I'll bring a light and try get a good look at it through the window.

Edit: I've been arrested.

It could be a feature on a number of cars I guess.
I was wondering really if anyone has come across an auto without a parking gear, if not the picanto.

British market btw.

https://carkiller.com/scottykilmer/qa/bought-a-car-without-park-pawl/?orderby=votes

This is all I could find. There's a pic of the possible gear shifter at the bottom. Maybe there is a park button that she couldn't find?

Awesome thanks mate, that looks like the exact thing he's talking about. It would appear they're as confused as my colleague. Does seem very odd that there isn't a parking gear (for safety reasons), I've only ever known automatic cars to have a feature where you can't even remove the key before putting the selector in park first.

I hear the Kia Suave has more mainstream appeal, you know, because it's less picanto.

2023 left hand drive.
https://imgcdn.zigwheels.ae/large/gallery/interior/19/198/kia-picanto-dashboard-view-657779.jpg

2021 right hand drive.
https://images.carexpert.com.au/resize/3000/-/app/uploads/2021/01/2021-kia-picanto-s-16.jpg

Both appear to have the same style shifter and gear overlay regardless of the drive position.

I highly doubt Kia produces a vehicle anywhere on the planet without a parking pawl when equipped with an automatic transmission/transaxle. I think the confusion likely comes from them not knowing how to operate the parking brake and leaving the vehicle in neutral or in gear(maybe they only have driven manual trans vehicles before?) I regularly see people confused on how to engage electronic parking brakes if they're used to driving something older and looking for a traditional "hand brake."

Not familiar with this model, but going to say that the thing here is that - it isn't actually an auto.

At least, it isn't a torque converter automatic. When people talk about auto or manual, 99% of the time what they're actually talking about is "does it have a clutch pedal".
Automated manuals (or semi-automatics) have no clutch pedal (so people call them autos), but are not torque converter automatics. It's reasonably common to see these without a parking gear, though some do appear have a "P" position for the gearstick. I don't know enough about the mechanical details to comment on why some appear this way and some do not. They might be completely different things, who knows.

You will sometimes find these in performance cars:
bmwm3shifter.jpg

Small economy cars (such as the Kia Picanto in question. This photo is from a Smart ForTwo):
czM6Ly9oaXlhY2FyLWltYWdlcy1wcm9kdWN0aW9uL0tzVVNISWlRRHFaNlVKdEsxR3o2U2c0NmdwcXpFQ1RKT3VTRG1xbHRQTGgwcnRrQkRIMFFFNFdhbDNyZzVLMlY.jpg

Or even trucks:
158734283712339-photo.jpg

Back