Anyone have sleep apnea?

LTorino

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
I have been having an awful time being tired all the time and sleeping all day when I don't have to be awake for something. I'm getting tested for sleep apnea. Was wondering if anyone has experience with it? Thanks for your time.

Dude you get to be like darth vader

I dont have it and dont want it.

I had it, after removing the tonsils it seems to be gone, or at least the last sleeping test was regular

I found out that here in Ontario, if a doctor puts you on the darth vader machine and you don’t use it, they report you to the Ministry of Transport and they can suspend your license as they assume that you don’t get enough sleep to drive safely. The machine sends data back so they can tell if you use it or not.

Weight isn't always a factor in sleep apnea. I'm 6"3' 200 lbs and have it. I was put on a machine and always tore it off in my sleep.

The handful of times I slept a full night on one, I slept really well but i tried all sorts of masks and none would fit right and would leak all the time.

And waking up with red lines all over your face is never fun.

Last edited:
Over diagnosed. The doctor I saw at this sleep clinic was trying to tell me I had it even before I did a sleep study. I walked out and never went back.

Recently I found out from an osteopath that I had issues with my sternum (three bones doing all different things), due to either a bicycle accident as a child or adult, a car crash or a judo injury, which may have explained why I was having breathing issues. My collarbone was even jammed into my sternum, which was against an artery that goes up into my neck. My GP diagnosed me with mild asthma as a teen. I am already breathing better thanks to the osteopath.

Lesson here: everyone try to justify their profession. If your intuition tells you something isn't right with what you are being told, do some more investigation.

I was supposed to have completed a sleep test about 15 years ago, but I just put it off and never opted in. I just don't have the time for that. I could be getting terrible sleep in the mean time, naw mean?

I have been having an awful time being tired all the time and sleeping all day when I don't have to be awake for something. I'm getting tested for sleep apnea. Was wondering if anyone has experience with it? Thanks for your time.
Yep. I have it. I use a CPAP every night.

CPAP is my best friend. I was pulling over to nap on the after work commute - less than an hour and I couldn't stay awake. Nodding off during meetings. The machine changed my life and that's no exaggeration.

You can always try the Breathe Right strips as a cheap and less invasive solution if you have mild apnea. I've heard some say it helps. I don't think it does anything if your condition is serious.

I fear it. My paternal grandfather was never a pound overweight his entire life, until the day he died in his mid-90's, and he had an awful case of it at the end. That machine looks like an instrument of torture.

Weight is only a factor in obstructive sleep apnea. Central sleep apnea is an issue with the brain.

That machine looks like an instrument of torture.

It was horrible at first, but you get used to it. I sleep well with the small nasal mask but need the full face mask when allergies have me stuffy. That mask sucks. Still, I feel much better rested even with that one than without the machine. I was almost never reaching REM sleep before.

I was going to have a sleep test, but I had my tonsils removed due to having strep throat so often. Ever since then, I feel like I don't have issues at all. I had really big tonsils.

Get it taken care of asap. I have an overweight friend who has it, and has not done anything about it. Like 10 years ago his mom died from a heart attack, and I would like to see him not fuck with his heart as well.

I guess this Apnea thing happens when you regularly undersleep for work.

I get sleepy when I drive especially when I have driven same route several days in a row. Is that the same thing? And I dont drive far. I always wondered the heck is wrong with me.

I am find myself driving less now, and when i drive teh familiar routes, I find I can handle it now that I dont have to drive back to back to back to back days. I wonder how the bus and cab drivers or delivery people handle this.

I have peanut butter sandwich apnea :(

My dog has it...I sleep with ease plugs in as a result

Yup!
I have it and I didn't get diagnosed until my mid-forties. I was in the military and I'd get a full night's sleep and I'd be falling asleep in meetings. My job required me to be on my feet a lot and whenever I sat down, my eyelids would get heavy.

After I retired and I got a surgery done, the nurses told me in the recovery room that when I was on the table, I was gasping for air. They told me to get checked ASAP. I did and I had sleep apnea when I was active duty, I just chalked it up to tiredness. Going to the doctor, I'd be nodding off in traffic... NOT GOOD.

I talked to a therapist and thought it had to do with weight gain. They told me that's a false assumption. Some people just wear out those muscles in the throat and some just have weak ones. Look at it like this.

Arnold+Schwarzenegger+1.jpg

Arnold looking TST.

1280x720-wHX.jpg

Arnold looking T & S.

I use the nasal pillows and it's been a Godsend!

Get checked.

Back