Anyone have wisdom teeth pulled lately?

As stated in the title, my left wisdom tooth was impacted, I never had any issues until just recently and we had the maxillofacialsurgeon pull both top wisdom teeth.

I'm 43 y.o, and the pain I'm in right now is awful, the extraction was on Thursday, I've been eating oxycodone around the clock and it's barely tolerable. Out of curiosity how much longer will the acute pain be at its worst? I figured the acute surgical pain would have subsided some by now, I had back surgery nearly a year ago and this is a much more terrible pain in every sense. Any experiences, input, or suggestions would be much appreciated, thanks... Ben
I had mine pulled a couple years back the bottom ones wasn't so bad but the top ones were impacted and had to remove some bone the pain lasted for almost a month. After around 7 - 9 days otc pain pills helped dull the pain though.

***Update***

So I found out after the X-rays that they had perforated into my sinus cavity, this was a possible but rare co placating while having your top wisdom teeth pulled. I had to have surgery again to close the sinus perforation, that was last week, so I'm back on the sofa as a vegetable eating pain killers and generally hating life. They had to wait for the wisdom teeth to fully heal and they've been feeding me augmenten for the past 6 weeks to keep an nasty infections away.

Bottom line is if your an older fellow 40+ and they want to pull your wisdom teeth, remember that the chance of complications is much higher and if you end up like me a simple tooth extraction can end up being a long and painful ordeal.

I was a dick earlier. My bad. Get well soon dude! Sounds like serious business. I was lucky to not have any complications. Usually any major surgery you are at higher risk once over 40 regardless of where on the body.

What have you been getting for sustenance. Any solids? Or just a lot of nutrient supplements like Boost and protein shakes?

This was me 8 years ago when I got my 4 done. I just got out recovery and was drugged as fuuuh..

10400838_29457121923_9880_n.jpg

I'm actually an incredible pussy about going to the dentist but I really have no reason to be. I've had wisdom teeth pulled and have never had any pain after. That shit happens to everyone else it seems but not me. I never even take the painkillers they give me. I even had to have them slice open my gums one time because there was one tooth with a crooked root. All stitched up and all that bothered me was the surgical thread rubbing my cheek.

Probably TS went to a hack surgeon.

oh my fucking god just when i think i should really get this wisdom tooth pulled this thread pops back up and nope nope nope bye fuck this no. op's update makes me wanna cry

I had all 4 removed, in 2 sessions. It didn't hurt much, just an annoying pain and making sure I didn't bite at the wrong spot. I didn't use any painkillers.

Damn guys this really sucks, I'm feeling like s complete pussy, but this pain is really unbearable.... I tried the salt rinse, it didnt seem to do very much good.
2u6mcro.jpg

You look like a bee stung your cheek lol

2866815A00000578-0-image-a-7_1430987459663.jpg

As stated in the title, my left wisdom tooth was impacted, I never had any issues until just recently and we had the maxillofacialsurgeon pull both top wisdom teeth.

I'm 43 y.o, and the pain I'm in right now is awful, the extraction was on Thursday, I've been eating oxycodone around the clock and it's barely tolerable. Out of curiosity how much longer will the acute pain be at its worst? I figured the acute surgical pain would have subsided some by now, I had back surgery nearly a year ago and this is a much more terrible pain in every sense. Any experiences, input, or suggestions would be much appreciated, thanks... Ben

I got my last tooth pulled a few weeks ago. it had a 90 degree hook in one of the prongs so after 45 minutes of pulling the doctor with no budging. the doctor did x-rays only to find this out and go "whoops" sorry bout the pain. THEN they started drilling it to cut the tooth into sections to pull it out....

I shit you not.

She slipped with the drill and stabbed the back of my throat a few times with it.

I cannot tell you how painful the following 7 days were. everytime i swalled this hole in the back of my throat would spread open. Water would make it sting like a motherfucker, so i had to basically eat peaches only and swallow like a duck.

If you have clove oil get some of that and put it on the tooth. it tastes sooooo fucking bad, but it acts as a numbing agent and really does the trick.

I got my last tooth pulled a few weeks ago. it had a 90 degree hook in one of the prongs so after 45 minutes of pulling the doctor with no budging. the doctor did x-rays only to find this out and go "whoops" sorry bout the pain. THEN they started drilling it to cut the tooth into sections to pull it out....

I shit you not.

She slipped with the drill and stabbed the back of my throat a few times with it.

I cannot tell you how painful the following 7 days were. everytime i swalled this hole in the back of my throat would spread open. Water would make it sting like a motherfucker, so i had to basically eat peaches only and swallow like a duck.

If you have clove oil get some of that and put it on the tooth. it tastes sooooo fucking bad, but it acts as a numbing agent and really does the trick.
Fuck that sounds horrible, I'm not too bad off, besides the incision from the back of my mouth to the incisors and sutures the pain is far less significant this time around. I can't chew on the left side and am on a soft solids diet for a week.

Shit...I'm 25 and I still have all four. They hurt like a mofo every few months too. Time to bite the bullet I guess...

Part of me was just thinking I'd wait until the last possible moment and do them Castaway style.

Shit...I'm 25 and I still have all four. They hurt like a mofo every few months too. Time to bite the bullet I guess...

Part of me was just thinking I'd wait until the last possible moment and do them Castaway style.

Man so much cringe in that scene. My skin almost came off on my knuckles I was white knuckling so hard.

Can you just get your mouth numbed instead of gas? I want to be able to drive afterwards.

I know a guy that died after having his removed. He went home and went back to sleep. Never woke up. It was eerie when I saw him at a mall maybe two days earlier. Eyes locked and then I read in the sports section he was dead a few days later. He was a gold medalist in my province for high school wrestling. He was a few years older than me. Threw me on my head when I was 14 and gave me a concussion when we were sparring.

I had mine surgically removed. I think I only had 3 and 2 of them were impacted. I didn't get all the swelling that they talk about, but I did some juicing a few days leading up to it. This was eons ago.

A couple of questions and I'll see if I can help somewhat.

Are you a smoker? And were you put out for the extraction?

If you're a smoker, chances increase that you may get dry socket, although it may happen regardless even if you don't smoke. But if you do smoke, your chances just increased huge.

Dry socket will hurt like a mutha. If that's the case, the oral surgeon will probably clean out your socket some more and put a sedative paste in the socket which will help a lot.

Reason I ask if you were put out for it gives me an indication of difficulty of the extraction. Wisdom teeth are so all-over-the-map with regards to placement and difficulty to getting out. Some are extremely easy and take literally 5 seconds, and others are extremely difficult. Simple ones your general dentist will usually tackle.

The difficult ones, the surgeon will most likely put you out because he/she will be going to town on you to get those suckers out. You will have your gums cut, and pulled back, your bone surrounding the tooth will be drilled, the tooth may have to be separated into several parts. And this all happens close to nerves and blood vessels. Then when it's all out, the bone is smoothed with a file, irrigated with saline, and the gums are repositioned and stitched. Then you wait to see how you heal. And with those difficult ones, you'll definitely have swelling.

I'm assuming you don't have any bleeding problems just pain?

With that, you're definitely swollen so I would place you on an antibiotic to be sure. You could be swollen from infection as well as from the trauma of having the wizzy out. The salt rinse helps with encouraging drainage of the infection, and to speed up healing. Won't take the pain away per se.

Your surgeon will have an emergency number to call if you call his office. It's usually his cell phone. Leave him a message and tell him you can send him that pic as well. He may just immediately place you on an antibiotic.

Also, consider some Advil as well. You're on oxycodone, but it doesn't have anti-inflammatory properties which will also help. You can take both at the same time.

Sorry for the wall of text. Hope it helps somewhat.

And hopefully your surgeon was like Jen Aniston in Horrible Bosses

giphy.gif

I've got to get 4 taken out and a molar that broke. They're going to put me out for it.

Your post has not helped at all.... Informative but not helping.

I know a guy that died after having his removed. He went home and went back to sleep. Never woke up. It was eerie when I saw him at a mall maybe two days earlier. Eyes locked and then I read in the sports section he was dead a few days later. He was a gold medalist in my province for high school wrestling. He was a few years older than me. Threw me on my head when I was 14 and gave me a concussion when we were sparring.

I had mine surgically removed. I think I only had 3 and 2 of them were impacted. I didn't get all the swelling that they talk about, but I did some juicing a few days leading up to it. This was eons ago.

Jesus I should leave this thread immediately.

I've got to get 4 taken out and a molar that broke. They're going to put me out for it.

Your post has not helped at all.... Informative but not helping.
Haha, you’ll be fine! Are they impacted? Is it an oral surgeon doing the surgery or a regular dentist? Impacted wisdom teeth are the ones buried under the gums. If the wisdom teeth are visible when you open your mouth then those ones are usually pretty easy

Haha, you’ll be fine! Are they impacted? Is it an oral surgeon doing the surgery or a regular dentist? Impacted wisdom teeth are the ones buried under the gums. If the wisdom teeth are visible when you open your mouth then those ones are usually pretty easy

First of all fuck you for bringing me back to this thread.

To answer your questions.... fuck you again! :p

You don’t need a surgical procedure to get your wisdom teeth pulled. I had my 2 top wisdom teeth pulled on the same day with regular freezing and had no problems whatsoever. It’s a total waste of money for a big “surgery” or being put out. It’s not necessary. Anyone who needs to be put out for a couple wisdom teeth extractions is a big pussy who would rather just throw money down the toilet

You don’t need a surgical procedure to get your wisdom teeth pulled. I had my 2 top wisdom teeth pulled on the same day with regular freezing and had no problems whatsoever. It’s a total waste of money for a big “surgery” or being put out. It’s not necessary. Anyone who needs to be put out for a couple wisdom teeth extractions is a big pussy who would rather just throw money down the toilet

Sure there tough guy, I know what my dental benefits pay out for, I’m in the fucking VA system... you know the guys who give the most and seem to get the least back...

Now... go hump someone else’s leg
<DisgustingHHH>

Last edited:

Damn , I thought i was out of the woods in pulling mine out. I'm 34 yrs old. My wisdom teeth haven't broken through yet..

Honestly it sounds like your dentist is rough...

I had two root canals literally 72 hours ago and I feel absolutely fine.
Sore jaw for day after but one or two ibuprofen 800 and I was cool.

I’d probably make sure you are taking antibiotics and some anti inflammatorys.

Damn , I thought i was out of the woods in pulling mine out. I'm 34 yrs old. My wisdom teeth haven't broken through yet..
I actually waited years until they got unbearable to get them pulled, in the grand scheme of things the dentist and maxillofacial surgeon who extracted said pulling them now would mitigate potentially worse issues later.

Back