Anyone have wisdom teeth pulled lately?

I went to a regular dentist and after looking at the X-rays of my impacted wisdom teeth I was shocked when he said they would only numb me. I went to an oral surgeon who for $500 more gave me xanax, laughing gas and numbed me. All I remember is listening to Bohemian Rhapsody and him hitting on his assistant. Well worth it.

One wisdom pulled out already (roots) no pain from what I remember. 1 is still in tact and the other 2 are roots of which one of them been root canaled.

Roots dont hurt at all. Will have to sort them out one day. Actually If I had money I would order my entire jaw to be pulled out and get implants instead. Always had issue with teeth.

i had all 4 taken out in high school. i was out for like 4 days and now cannot stand the taste of teabags or blood.

I went to a regular dentist and after looking at the X-rays of my impacted wisdom teeth I was shocked when he said they would only numb me. I went to an oral surgeon who for $500 more gave me xanax, laughing gas and numbed me. All I remember is listening to Bohemian Rhapsody and him hitting on his assistant. Well worth it.

Watch out, sherdoggers will call you a pussy for having anaesthesia. Alpha male sherdoggers dont need anesthesia to have teeth pulled out.

But seriously. Why dont u just ask to have general anaesthesia. If you paying so much for a healthcare in country of US, u might as well ask for it. I know people that had it.

First of all fuck you for bringing me back to this thread.

To answer your questions.... fuck you again! :p
Make sure you apply lots of lip balm on the week of your surgery! We want your lips to be nice and soft once you’ve been put out!!

You don’t need a surgical procedure to get your wisdom teeth pulled. I had my 2 top wisdom teeth pulled on the same day with regular freezing and had no problems whatsoever. It’s a total waste of money for a big “surgery” or being put out. It’s not necessary. Anyone who needs to be put out for a couple wisdom teeth extractions is a big pussy who would rather just throw money down the toilet

The top wisdom teeth usually come out really easily. They are not huge, with a deep branching root system or impacted/crowded like the lower ones

Everybody's situation is different, though. This guy sounded like he got "dry socket" which is technically harmless but hurts really really bad, worse than some things which aren't harmless.

Usually the top wisdom teeth don't get dry socket like the lower ones are prone to but its not impossible

[source] worked in a dental office for my entire 20's.

The top wisdom teeth usually come out really easily. They are not huge, with a deep branching root system or impacted/crowded like the lower ones

Everybody's situation is different, though. This guy sounded like he got "dry socket" which is technically harmless but hurts really really bad, worse than some things which aren't harmless.

Usually the top wisdom teeth don't get dry socket like the lower ones are prone to but its not impossible

[source] worked in a dental office for my entire 20's.
What did you do at the office?? And absolutely true, upper wizzies have less chance of dry socket!

Last edited:
What did you do at the office?? And absolutely true, upper wizzies have leads chance of dry socket!

Assistant. Always helped with the surgeries (including extractions) and rootcanals.

I did all the hard stuff and stayed late, worked thru lunch instead of eating while all the 3-4 others did literally nothing for hours but stand around and complain.

---

Edit: sweet username/AV!

Last edited:
Very nice!! Surgeries are fun, the root canals not so much, can be quite boring

That's true. For me I just think of root canals like you're fishing on a lake, relaxing. Just kinda sitting there for a bite that you don't expect to happen. Filing, measuring, x-ray, repeat. It's like attaching bait, casting, trying a different part of the lake, repeat

It's a good time to talk with the dentist about random interesting things because it's so boring and it calms the patient and makes the procedure less boring. The patient goes to sleep a lot of the time, we would always let them (unless they're on nitrous-- but nitrous was mostly for difficult extractions)

I didn't know we had any dentists here on sherdog, even though you'd think we would. I've been giving free consultations (also part of my prior job duties-- I'd have to run back and forth from the back office to front) on here in all the dentistry related threads for years, never saw anyone else with field-related experience chime in

Last edited:
Never got wisdom teeth crew checking in.

I had mine removed many years ago, and because i smoke I got dry sockets and man lemme tell you you don't ever want those. not a lot of fun.

As stated in the title, my left wisdom tooth was impacted, I never had any issues until just recently and we had the maxillofacialsurgeon pull both top wisdom teeth.

I'm 43 y.o, and the pain I'm in right now is awful, the extraction was on Thursday, I've been eating oxycodone around the clock and it's barely tolerable. Out of curiosity how much longer will the acute pain be at its worst? I figured the acute surgical pain would have subsided some by now, I had back surgery nearly a year ago and this is a much more terrible pain in every sense. Any experiences, input, or suggestions would be much appreciated, thanks... Ben
You either had a shitty Oral Surgeon TS or your roots had penetrated the nerve and they damaged the nerve (which can be common and they should have warned you about).

I had all 4 wisdom teeth pulled at age 45. Roots were deep and on the nerve so they warned me about potential nerve damage and its potential to be ongoing and even permanent causing pain and potentially numbness.

They removed all 4 in one session which lasted about 1.5 hours and had me leaving the clinic and heading home an hour later with a bottle of Tylenol 3's with Codeine which they said I was to start taking as soon as I felt the first signs of the anesthetic waning. And they said I could switch to regular tylenol or advil once I thought I could handle whatever pain I was dealing with.

I never took a single Tylenol 3 as I did not want that drug (codeine) in my body. I just went straight to Advils and only had to take a few that evening and a couple the next morning and then no more pain killers after that.

If your pain remains acute they may have to go back in and remove or kill the nerve entirely. Let your surgeon know of your pain.

You don’t need a surgical procedure to get your wisdom teeth pulled. I had my 2 top wisdom teeth pulled on the same day with regular freezing and had no problems whatsoever. It’s a total waste of money for a big “surgery” or being put out. It’s not necessary. Anyone who needs to be put out for a couple wisdom teeth extractions is a big pussy who would rather just throw money down the toilet
Honestly it sounds like your dentist is rough...

I had two root canals literally 72 hours ago and I feel absolutely fine.
Sore jaw for day after but one or two ibuprofen 800 and I was cool.

I’d probably make sure you are taking antibiotics and some anti inflammatorys.
The big issue was they perforated into my sinus cavity and had to surgically repair that a few days after the original extraction. Thankfully that was a few years ago and I’ve been free of any dental issue besides a chipped grill that I’ve got to go get a c
You either had a shitty Oral Surgeon TS or your roots had penetrated the nerve and they damaged the nerve (which can be common and they should have warned you about).

I had all 4 wisdom teeth pulled at age 45. Roots were deep and on the nerve so they warned me about potential nerve damage and its potential to be ongoing and even permanent causing pain and potentially numbness.

They removed all 4 in one session which lasted about 1.5 hours and had me leaving the clinic and heading home an hour later with a bottle of Tylenol 3's with Codeine which they said I was to start taking as soon as I felt the first signs of the anesthetic waning. And they said I could switch to regular tylenol or advil once I thought I could handle whatever pain I was dealing with.

I never took a single Tylenol 3 as I did not want that drug (codeine) in my body. I just went straight to Advils and only had to take a few that evening and a couple the next morning and then no more pain killers after that.

If your pain remains acute they may have to go back in and remove or kill the nerve entirely. Let your surgeon know of your pain.
This thread is 3 1/2 years old, no issues now... considering it was Uncle Sam floating the bill I’ll bite and say he probably wasn’t a top notch surgeon...lol

I had mine removed many years ago, and because i smoke I got dry sockets and man lemme tell you you don't ever want those. not a lot of fun.
This. Same happened to me.

Which makes me wonder if TS has dry socket, or some kind of infection. My face did not swell up any where NEAR as bad as the picture he posted, and I got all of mine taken out at once opposed to him just getting 1 out.

Something aint right. If you havent yet, see a doc TS lol

I had one of them pulled a few years ago because it had a giant cavity; it’s hard to brush back there. It never bothered me though.

I actually waited years until they got unbearable to get them pulled, in the grand scheme of things the dentist and maxillofacial surgeon who extracted said pulling them now would mitigate potentially worse issues later.

I heard sometimes the wisdom teeth never break through gums. I feel no pain from my wisdom teeth.

I had 5 wisdom teeth pulled in one shot , lucky me had an extra one they had to dig out on the top left side , some of the worst pain I was ever in but the perks they gave me were pretty good , especially when mixed with a few beers .

This happend like 15 years ago , like a dumbbell I went back to work two days later and when I picked something up my mouth was full of blood because of the pressure I put on the stiches .

All that being said I think I was only sore for 4 maybe 5 days , the first 2 being the worst of it

Back