Anyone here train classical JuJutsu or Kenjutsu?

Tkd10

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
I'm more of a realist. Always stuck to my guns, BJJ, Wrestling, sub. grappling, Muay Thai etc.

But for whatever reason i was thinking about giving the classic arts a try, just 1 day a week maybe for the hell of it.

I don't know too much about them, but at least like how some teach those massive break falls from big throws.

Classic JJ also has some weapons training which i'm open too, wouldn't mind dabbling into that.

But.....this means it would cut into my standard training, mind you i'm not a fighter or competitor. I was also quite surprised when i called to get some rates some of these school charge as much as BJJ gyms, so it isn't necessarily cheap.

They were cool enough to admit that most of what they do is just to preserve the culture.

With that being said, you guys think it's a waste of time? Does the predecessor of modern grappling arts have nothing to offer in today's day and age? Oddly enough some guys that i have grappled with have come from a back ground or at least delved into the Koryu arts.

After seeing all these "no touch" techniques, i'm a bit skeptical...

Last edited:
Kenjutsu is fighting with katanas. (Also likely to be highly formalized.) If you think that would be fun and/or you think you might ever need to kill a samurai with your own sword, go for it.

I did traditional jiujitsu for a while before BJJ.

It was bad judo, bad karate and bad newaza and katas; I don't recommend it.

I don't do JJJ but I do hapkido and kuhapdo (japanese Iaido with Korean lineage), through a very traditional organization. I specifically wanted an art I could do when I had severely hurt my back, but wasn't complete mystical wuwu bullshido. HKD is most easily described as a Korean art influenced from JJJ (namely Daito Ryu Aiki Jujutsu).

My main art is GJJ and I don't attend a HKD school locally cuz they are mostly BS so every few months I travel to a school and do privates, then home study on the weekends when I'm not doing GJJ/BJJ.

If you have a credible school near you go for it.

Mind u it will take 3 years or so to not feel like you're not stepping on your toes all the time.

Can't wait to get to San Diego Judo and cross train Goshin Jujitsu after my year of rehab!

If you are lucky enough to experience the real traditional Ryu, I think its a very rewarding experience. There is something about the real connection to a lost warrior culture that is pretty interesting. Mind you, they are extremely hard to find. These Ryu have headmasters who are the actual descendants of the guys who started these styles hundreds of years ago. Connections are the key.

I'm more of a realist. Always stuck to my guns, BJJ, Wrestling, sub. grappling, Muay Thai etc.

But for whatever reason i was thinking about giving the classic arts a try, just 1 day a week maybe for the hell of it.

I don't know too much about them, but at least like how some teach those massive break falls from big throws.

Classic JJ also has some weapons training which i'm open too, wouldn't mind dabbling into that.

But.....this means it would cut into my standard training, mind you i'm not a fighter or competitor. I was also quite surprised when i called to get some rates some of these school charge as much as BJJ gyms, so it isn't necessarily cheap.

They were cool enough to admit that most of what they do is just to preserve the culture.

With that being said, you guys think it's a waste of time? Does the predecessor of modern grappling arts have nothing to offer in today's day and age? Oddly enough some guys that i have grappled with have come from a back ground or at least delved into the Koryu arts.

After seeing all these "no touch" techniques, i'm a bit skeptical...

BTW, when you say the predecessor of modern grappling arts, you have to understand that it's abit silly. There were literally Hundreds of styles of Jujutsu practiced in Japan by the mid 19th century. Many of them very different from the other. Some focused very little on unarmed fighting at all. Most of them didnt survive the modern era and the ones that did were either absorbed intoJudo, or preserved in the Koryu Ryu that still survives in Japan. If you research the many Koryu that still survive in Japan you will see that slot of them focus on very different things. Mostly weapons for sure. Very traditional. Most of what you will ever find in the west doesn't really have much connection to traditional Japanese styles of armed or unarmed fighting.

I do KenJitsu./

Back