Anyone here with ADHD or have someone close with it?

huskylord

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
My six and half year old son was just diagnosed with ADHD. Signs were there but now have an official diagnosis. Geting books, speaking to who I can, but if you have any insight, experience, recommendations, I"m all ears.

Thanks in advance

Dont put your kid on medication. There is data showing they can negatively impact the brain but there is nothing showing positive results on growth (There are better words for this I just can't think because I'm tired as fuck). Just get your kid into other activities. He's probably just a kid. I'm assuming your psychiatrist is the one who diagnosed him, therefore DO NOT TRUST HIM. They are not psychologists, they simply find symptoms and associates them with ADHD even though its your sons personality.

Edit: There is no proof that long term use of psycho motor stimulants produced positive cognitive gains. It can be detrimental.

Last edited:
Dont put your kid on medication. There is data showing they can negatively impact the brain but there is nothing showing positive results on growth (There are better words for this I just can't think because I'm tired as fuck). Just get your kid into other activities. He's probably just a kid. I'm assuming your psychiatrist is the one who diagnosed him, therefore DO NOT TRUST HIM. They are not psychologists, they simply find symptoms and associates them with ADHD even though its your sons personality.

Edit: There is no proof that long term use of psycho motor stimulants produced positive cognitive gains. It can be detrimental.

1.Psychiatrists are not psychologists- correct, they have much superior education.
2.Telling someone not to put their kids on medication when you are not qualified to make that decision- mega.
3. No proof that stimulants produce positive cognitive gains- what the fuck are you talking about? You clearly have zero knowledge on pharmaceuticals or medicine in general.

1.Psychiatrists are not psychologists- correct, they have much superior education.
2.Telling someone not to put their kids on medication when you are not qualified to make that decision- mega.
3. No proof that stimulants produce positive cognitive gains- what the fuck are you talking about? You clearly have zero knowledge on pharmaceuticals or medicine in general.

1. Psychiatrists are engineers, their education is not vastly superior. It's pseudo science in their diagnosis.
2. Telling someone the dangers of fucking up their kids long term development is important
3. The benefits are short term and show short term success. Like your kid goes from not paying attention to paying attention and being a "successful" or "smarter" student. Long term there can be negative side effects.

I am a prime example of someone who was misdiagnosed and I was on and off that shit til I was like 14 or 15. I question what impact those fucking pills had on me long term and I was against using them the whole time. I am 100% a "normal" individual. Despite the fact some dipshit diagnosed me when I was 6. Chances are this dudes kid is just being a kid. So fuck off with your bullshit.

This thread gunna be good. Insert popcorn gif

tumblr_p8jezkKqNd1vpf6ddo1_250.gif

Last edited:
1. Psychiatrists are engineers, their education is not vastly superior. It's pseudo science in their diagnosis.
2. Telling someone the dangers of fucking up their kids long term development is important
3. The benefits are short term and show short term success. Like your kid goes from not paying attention to paying attention and being a "successful" or "smarter" student. Long term there can be negative side effects.

I am a prime example of someone who was misdiagnosed and I was on and off that shit til I was like 14 or 15. I question what impact those fucking pills had on me long term and I was against using them the whole time. I am 100% a "normal" individual. Despite the fact some dipshit diagnosed me when I was 6. Chances are this dudes kid is just being a kid. So fuck off with your bullshit.

You
Are
Not
Qualified
Or
Educated
To
Make
Those
Decisions
For
Anyone

My wife “has” adhd , she’s been on meds for it for so long it fucks her up and she’s chemically dependent on them.

She gets bad ass headaches and goes on wild tirades without them, and gets worse the longer she tries to skip.

She’s been trying to get off adderall for a while but basically goes into a Herion esq withdrawal without it on about day three and takes two days to become normal again.

Try everything under the fucking sun first before medication. It fucks people up long term

You
Are
Not
Qualified
Or
Educated
To
Make
Those
Decisions
For
Anyone

appeal

to

authority

is

a

fallacy

you

dumb

mother

fucker

They are not qualified to make a diagnosis in an ethical attempt when they don't have enough objective data to do so.

appeal

to

authority

is

a

fallacy

you

dumb

mother

fucker

They are not qualified to make a diagnosis in an ethical attempt when they don't have enough objective data to do so.

again- completely wrong, you are fucking retarded. get a fucking education

I got put on Adderall when I was a kid. It helped with doing homework but stunted my social skills.

Personally I am a medication minimalist, and have 3 family members that are over prescribed and addicted, so I have strong feelings/thoughts about it.

Between greedy pharma, corrupt government, lazy med professionals and lazy consumers, the good science and usefulness of meds gets misdiagnosed. It's symptomatic of our times. Finding a balanced perspective is difficult.

@Bamboozled and @BillytheFish ... you guys are wayyyyy better posters than this. Put down the weaponized words and get back to the issue. Remember? Attack the idea and not the person with it.

Personally I am a medication minimalist, and have 3 family members that are over prescribed and addicted, so I have strong feelings/thoughts about it.

Between greedy pharma, corrupt government, lazy med professionals and lazy consumers, the good science and usefulness of meds gets misdiagnosed. It's symptomatic of our times. Finding a balanced perspective is difficult.

@Bamboozled and @BillytheFish ... you guys are wayyyyy better posters than this. Put down the weaponized words and get back to the issue. Remember? Attack the idea and not the person with it.

I think I have attacked the idea and have been pretty forward with it. Psychiatrists are right along with the lazy medical professionals. We over diagnosed and over stimulate people, especially children in the case of ADD/ADHD. Half of the time it's like an hour with your child and they have a complete medical diagnosis. That is not sufficient data, especially in a foreign environment with a child to diagnose them. Especially when they don't take the child's personality into play which can develop more later on, but it shouldn't change too much. If you're in the business of putting people with mental "disorders" on any kind of medication expect extreme criticism. Yes, there are people who have schizophrenia and it's quite obvious if someone suffers from an ailment such as it. But ADHD is so vague they just correlate actions by the child and assume it's related to ADHD. Fuck that shit.

ADHD is a mythical condition.

Hope I can take the temperature down here a bit (and I thank everyone for their contribution).
The diagnosis was made by a psychologist based on observational testing over a two day period. Psychologist was firm no medication needed at this point. I would also point out, he's probably more weighted towards the Attention Deficit instead of the Hyperactive (but there is still some of that).

I can offer you my experience:

When I was kid there was no such thing as ADHD. That term didn't make it into the medical textbooks until much later. After it became well known, my Dad told me many years later that I probably had it. I knew something was wrong, that something was making just being alive needlessly difficult that other people didn't have, making me feel like a loser much of the time.

As for what to do, mostly you are doing it. You got the diagnosis, so now you know that your kid is the way he is not because he's a retard or a snowflake or any other of the pejoratives floating around. You're educating yourself about ADHD....another great thing. In addition, try to find out what your son is good at, and what he loves to do that will be constructive to his development and to his life both as a child and as a future adult. And encourage him to participate in these things. All people with some kind of pathology compensate for that pathology by shining brighter than average in something else. He will shine at something, I guarantee it. He will probably discover that thing - or those things - on his own eventually, but you could at least try to quicken the process by helping him to discover his positive self.

As well, don't be too discouraged if he doesn't excel in school or isn't great socially; if he's a good person, that's the most important thing.

The more practical skills you can teach him - not force him, teach him only if he takes to it - the better, because those skills will offer some compensation in life anyway for the obstacles resulting from his ADHD.

Last edited:
Hope I can take the temperature down here a bit (and I thank everyone for their contribution).
The diagnosis was made by a psychologist based on observational testing over a two day period. Psychologist was firm no medication needed at this point. I would also point out, he's probably more weighted towards the Attention Deficit instead of the Hyperactive (but there is still some of that).

How long were the sessions?

Back