Anyone here with ADHD or have someone close with it?

Personally I am a medication minimalist, and have 3 family members that are over prescribed and addicted, so I have strong feelings/thoughts about it.

Between greedy pharma, corrupt government, lazy med professionals and lazy consumers, the good science and usefulness of meds gets misdiagnosed. It's symptomatic of our times. Finding a balanced perspective is difficult.

@Bamboozled and @BillytheFish ... you guys are wayyyyy better posters than this. Put down the weaponized words and get back to the issue. Remember? Attack the idea and not the person with it.

A person who writes off one of the toughest medical fields with one of the highest required levels of education is an imbecile. Other poster's arguments on here basically consist of 'sll healthcare workers are lazy and stupid and cause harm'.

Anyone with half an brain cell or mild education on the subject matter would realize medicine is a risk vs reward endeavor. A poster coming onto this thread saying DONT GIVE YOUR KID MEDICATION is in no way qualified to make that recommendation.

How do people on here know the OPs son isn't climbing trees and fracturing his skull because his ADHD is so out of control? Yes in the long term medication will fuck his organs etc, but if it helps prevent FURTHER IMMEDIATE damage then it outweighs the negative until the next medical issue comes along.

If your kid doesn't take medication keep it that way until it's more than serious. ADHD is an open word for an accumulation of a wide range of very different manifestations.

I saw some guys with that diagnosis going to a shrink and popping prescribed pills for 10 years without any sign of "recovery" and a 6 year old kids brain shouldn't be the playfield for some "professionals" who diagnose stuff like that by some key-words.

I wish you all the best and hope everything turns out good for your kid on the long term!

I was diagnosed with a hypo-manic disorder and took a combi medication but it didn't help me except taking the fear of big dogs.
And i managed to get my universtity degree, a decent job, a wife and a healthy son without all of that crap.

I think I have attacked the idea and have been pretty forward with it. Psychiatrists are right along with the lazy medical professionals. We over diagnosed and over stimulate people, especially children in the case of ADD/ADHD. Half of the time it's like an hour with your child and they have a complete medical diagnosis. That is not sufficient data, especially in a foreign environment with a child to diagnose them. Especially when they don't take the child's personality into play which can develop more later on, but it shouldn't change too much. If you're in the business of putting people with mental "disorders" on any kind of medication expect extreme criticism. Yes, there are people who have schizophrenia and it's quite obvious if someone suffers from an ailment such as it. But ADHD is so vague they just correlate actions by the child and assume it's related to ADHD. Fuck that shit.

Attitudes in the profession are changing fast. The hippocratic oath is trending well right now, and we are seeing a shift towards non-pharma solutions for health within all areas, (with exception to big pharma).

I don't think you will find anyone here that thinks we need more meds prescribed, and I don't think you will find anyone who thinks that over prescribed meds are not an issue, but we need the well founded science to be dispensed by educated professionals that can use our past collective data/knowledge and monitor progress, and make adjustments over time. Of course there are going to be idiot docs and psychiatrists and psychologists, but when it comes to ignorant humans they are everywhere, but you will also find some of our best, doing their best in healthcare.

I think the 100% pro, or con, argumentative positions are disingenuous and dangerous in equal measure.

They put my little cousin on adderral . He couldn’t eat any good and became super underweight.

Too many Ritalin and adderrals being handed out in the last decade or more.

just baffles me how anyone can conclude a SIX YEAR OLD has something like ADHD.

THEY ARE SIX FUCKING YEARS OLD. How they act and think at 6 is not how they will be at 16, or 26.

I know I'm not the first or last to say this in the thread, but please for the love of fuck dont jump straight to giving your 6 year old hard drugs like adderrall. Fill the script, but use the adderral yourself to get a raise at work.

A person who writes off one of the toughest medical fields with one of the highest required levels of education is an imbecile. Other poster's arguments on here basically consist of 'sll healthcare workers are lazy and stupid and cause harm'.

Anyone with half an brain cell or mild education on the subject matter would realize medicine is a risk vs reward endeavor. A poster coming onto this thread saying DONT GIVE YOUR KID MEDICATION is in no way qualified to make that recommendation.

How do people on here know the OPs son isn't climbing trees and fracturing his skull because his ADHD is so out of control? Yes in the long term medication will fuck his organs etc, but if it helps prevent FURTHER IMMEDIATE damage then it outweighs the negative until the next medical issue comes along.

I didn't write off a field, I wrote off their diagnosis of ADHD. Get the fuck outta here with that bullshit.

I didn't write off a field, I wrote off their diagnosis of ADHD. Get the fuck outta here with that bullshit.

'do not trust psychiatrists' versus some cunt like you with zero education on here giving medical advice

How are his grades in school?
I believe it's too early to diagnose your child for ADD or ADHD.
Wait until puberty kicks and he becomes a teenager, then you'll know for sure if he has definite symptoms or not.
Hormones change people in ways you cannot imagine.

If anyone diagnoses your child with ADD/ADHD, get many, many, many more opinions. It's usually decided after a very short time of observation. You cant determine that so quickly in a child who is still developing. Kids think a lot and are curious about everything because they dont have a past to reflect on. So their mind is going to be everywhere. That type of medication effects the social development of children. It shouldn't be taken lightly.

Anecdotal evidence but I was diagnosed with ADHD as a child and was put on Ritalin. Personally I hated it and was extremely unhappy and because of the medication I barely ate I was the smallest kid in my class in height and weight. after I got taken off the meds I grew up fast and caught up with the other kids fast.

What really helped me was a special clinic that instead of medicating used focusing drills. I worked hard there for a summer because I hated having people tell me I was different I just wanted to be with the other kids in a normal class. The next year I was back I in class and just like the other kids.

Look for alternative treatments for ADHD as well as whatever medications the professionals prescribe.

I had ADHD like crazy as a child. I tried to pay attention but even today in my early 40's it's a bitch as my mind is going in multiple directions at once. My folks dealt with it. It was prior to the days of putting a Pharmacy in your kid's bloodstream.

I smoked weed for two years in HS. It chilled me out, I took great notes and could concentrate on studying. I made 1st honors. Quit weed and it was back to my mind spinning 10,000 RPM from dawn to dusk. Eventually it got better.

I was VERY creative as a kid. Lots of drawings, stories, and building things from Legos to dirt racetracks for RC cars or Tonka Toys. I wouldn't change it for the world. ADHD is just a way of saying "this isn't the norm, you're kid is different and we've diagnosed it as a problem." IMO. Let the kid be a kid and learn to work with them.

Edit: When I took Tang Soo Do I learned to meditate and focus on goals. This helped too.

My six and half year old son was just diagnosed with ADHD. Signs were there but now have an official diagnosis. Geting books, speaking to who I can, but if you have any insight, experience, recommendations, I"m all ears.

Thanks in advance

Who first brought this to your attention? Some teacher who noticed your child hates being stuck in a room for hours out of the day. Do nothing because your son should rebel/revolt against the education industrial complex as much as possible. Let your son grow as he is. Your son does not have to become a meek and obsequious yes man/office worker when he grows up, or basically an asian.

Don't trust any psychiatrist who tells you a fucking 6 year old has ADHD. Holy shit. Like... It's entirely possible your kid does have it, but ADHD behavior manifests in ways that perfectly healthy young children act.

I’ve recently been diagnosed with ADHD. I have a pretty good IQ but never did well in school because I could never sit down and study. Never got diagnosed or took meds while I was in school; ADHD wasn’t a thing when I was growing up.

Started adderall for about a month or two ago and hated it. Initial euphoria was kinda cool, but hated that it felt like a vise was on my brain, limiting the width and depth of my thinking. I felt like one of those horses with rhe eye blinds on, limiting my ability to think. My coworkers noticed a difference in my personality and it sorta scared a few of them. I was sweating like a fat man walking a mile in the sun. And that’s just while I’m sitting at my desk. I’m off adderall now and I feel much better. My psychiatrist suggested a different medication but I declined. I’m ok with my (lack of) productivity. I get things done when I need to.

Eveyone is different, of course, so your kid’s results will differ.

Havent you guys ever watched the Simpsons episode where they put Bart on meds?

Major League Baseball is watching all of us.

I’ve recently been diagnosed with ADHD. I have a pretty good IQ but never did well in school because I could never sit down and study. Never got diagnosed or took meds while I was in school; ADHD wasn’t a thing when I was growing up.

Started adderall for about a month or two ago and hated it. Initial euphoria was kinda cool, but hated that it felt like a vise was on my brain, limiting the width and depth of my thinking. I felt like one of those horses with rhe eye blinds on, limiting my ability to think. My coworkers noticed a difference in my personality and it sorta scared a few of them. I was sweating like a fat man walking a mile in the sun. And that’s just while I’m sitting at my desk. I’m off adderall now and I feel much better. My psychiatrist suggested a different medication but I declined. I’m ok with my (lack of) productivity. I get things done when I need to.

Eveyone is different, of course, so your kid’s results will differ.
Yea that stuff is intense I remember once really vividly of staring at a tree for a long time and all the shit my mind was coming up with. ( pretty much just reused stories and imagery from cartoons I watched)
Honestly If my son was diagnosed with ADHD medication like adderall would be my last resort.

I have ADD - inattentive type. Got diagnosed about 4 years ago at the tender age of 40.

I'm not saying ADHD isn't real but it's not really a thing here in the UK like the US.

The CDC says 11% of US kids have it.

What's the difference between ADHD and kids who just don't want to learn because they don't find it stimulating?

Thinking back there were kids I went to school with who would've have been diagnosed ADHD in the US, most of them turned out alright but generally went into more practical fields of work e.g. Farming, landscaping, construction etc

I don't think everyone's meant to be the same.

Back