Anyone here with ADHD or have someone close with it?

I have ADHD, have your child get an IEP(Individual education program) its basically "special ed" without being special ed. Your kid will still stay in the same class(es), but the teacher(s) will have to put up with how he may talk to others more, fidget more, loose attention more,etc. They are more or less told to just give your kid more of a break and not send them to the office for every little thing. Your kid will still get all the same homework, same due dates as his classmates. Your school legally has to offer this.
Now if could be different depending on how bad your ADHD is but thats how it was when I had an IEP. I did this until 6th grade when I learned to control it better.

Last edited:
I'm reasonably certain that I have ADD, most of my close friends think I have as does my Mother (who also thinks I'm somewhere in the spectrum). I'm also sure my 5 year old Son does too but that coyld just be down to social learning and behaviour modelling from me.
If I do have ADD it hasn't really impeded my education as I have GCSEs, A Levels and a Degree albeit with mediocre results. Concentration has always been a huge issue for me though and can't help but think I could have achieved more with improved concentration and attention, although I guess that's true for many people.
Interestingly I recently sat train driver selection tests and passes all of the aptitude tests to the enhanced standard, many of which are designed to test arte tion and concentration.
I also scored highly on the survey I'll link below
https://www.additudemag.com/gdpr-redirect/?origin=www.additudemag.com/adhd-symptoms-test-adults/

Dont put your kid on medication. There is data showing they can negatively impact the brain but there is nothing showing positive results on growth (There are better words for this I just can't think because I'm tired as fuck). Just get your kid into other activities. He's probably just a kid. I'm assuming your psychiatrist is the one who diagnosed him, therefore DO NOT TRUST HIM. They are not psychologists, they simply find symptoms and associates them with ADHD even though its your sons personality.

Edit: There is no proof that long term use of psycho motor stimulants produced positive cognitive gains. It can be detrimental.
this times 1000000. Do not under any circumstance let them medicate him.

I'm not saying ADHD isn't real but it's not really a thing here in the UK like the US.

The CDC says 11% of US kids have it.

What's the difference between ADHD and kids who just don't want to learn because they don't find it stimulating?

Thinking back there were kids I went to school with who would've have been diagnosed ADHD in the US, most of them turned out alright but generally went into more practical fields of work e.g. Farming, landscaping, construction etc

I don't think everyone's meant to be the same.
I AM going to say it's not real. Just another example of man creating a problem out of thin air that we can use to sell drugs. We are all definitely not meant to be the same and we are creating more problems out of the problems we are supposedly fixing.

After reading this thread I'm pleasantly surprised at the amount of people who are against the idea of medicating children with this bullshit ADHD diagnosis. I was really expecting to read the opposite.

I had very little interest in studying and learning as a kid because I'd rather do things I thought were fun. My IQ is high so if I was a kid today they would probably say I have ADD and give me meds. When I went to college I saw it as my last chance to make something of myself so I put studying ahead of fun for the first time in my life and I succeeded.

I think some kids just need to be allowed to grow up in their time and they'll be fine.

OP here . Teacher alerted us to my son's behaviour.....disruptive....falling behind....interrupting others....and other socialization issues.....he is behind on reading and writing....as part of the ADHD diagnosis we were also told he has a moderate learning disability.....someone mentioned the Individualized Education modification . That was the recommendation....still need to discuss with his school

I was diagnosed as a kid never took anything for it and eventually grew out of it. Life is fine it's really not a big deal

OP here . Teacher alerted us to my son's behaviour.....disruptive....falling behind....interrupting others....and other socialization issues.....he is behind on reading and writing....as part of the ADHD diagnosis we were also told he has a moderate learning disability.....someone mentioned the Individualized Education modification . That was the recommendation....still need to discuss with his school

Disruptive and interrupting? I did that shit all the time. I didn't give a fuck. I didn't even fall behind on basic standards. I just didn't give a single fuck about schoolwork/homework. I made a competition out of everything and when this bitch named Jennifer said I was copying her I quit trying. I turned my shit in like 10 minutes before that dumb bitch did. I was heated about that day. What "socialization" issues we talking about? Maybe he's just not an agreeable kid. There is nothing wrong with that. It's a personality trait. It's also definitely not a learning disability. Your kid isn't retarded. He just doesn't give a shit.

I think it's hilarious that interrupting others is a trait for ADHD. You ever hear adults talk? They cut each other off all the time in a casual setting. That's not even a trait. It's normal interaction my man.

My son has ADHD. He has Asberger's syndrome as well. They apparently go hand-in-hand. He's not a bounce-off-the-wall kid, he just absolutely cannot focus his brain. Without his Vyvanse, he cannot focus.

He was diagnosed with Asperger's by age 5. The ADHD diagnosis came a little later.

He's 20 now, and we've been teaching him how to drive so he can attend the JuCo about 20 miles from our home. He tried and failed his driver's test about 5 times. I had him out 2 weeks ago trying to teach him how to maneuver while driving in reverse. He just could not get it. My wife asked him if he had taken his meds, and he had not. She told him to take them the next day, and she would take him out driving. Well, she had a horrible time, too, again because he didn't take his meds.

Last Sunday, I got his ass up and made sure he took his meds. We went driving, and everything that he couldn't do the week before he executed perfectly.

Yeah, not everyone NEEDS the Ritalin/Adderal/Vyvanse. My son DOES. And it makes a massive difference in his ability to focus, as well as his driving.

I mentioned the IEP,(individual learning program) or in your schools case IEM. Its the best way to help your kid without meds and without making him feel different. None of the kids i can remember knew i had an IEP(for you IEM) if that is also worrisome to you.

My son has ADHD. He has Asberger's syndrome as well. They apparently go hand-in-hand. He's not a bounce-off-the-wall kid, he just absolutely cannot focus his brain. Without his Vyvanse, he cannot focus.

He was diagnosed with Asperger's by age 5. The ADHD diagnosis came a little later.

He's 20 now, and we've been teaching him how to drive so he can attend the JuCo about 20 miles from our home. He tried and failed his driver's test about 5 times. I had him out 2 weeks ago trying to teach him how to maneuver while driving in reverse. He just could not get it. My wife asked him if he had taken his meds, and he had not. She told him to take them the next day, and she would take him out driving. Well, she had a horrible time, too, again because he didn't take his meds.

Last Sunday, I got his ass up and made sure he took his meds. We went driving, and everything that he couldn't do the week before he executed perfectly.

Yeah, not everyone NEEDS the Ritalin/Adderal/Vyvanse. My son DOES. And it makes a massive difference in his ability to focus, as well as his driving.
I'm glad it works for him, my only concern is.. it's as if hes not good enough as is. Has no capacity to ever be a normal human. Can only be complete with the help of medication. What happens when he can no longer get that medication? All his social/coping/cognitive skills being learned under the influence will be a nightmare to deal with when he doesnt have them.

Please dont take this as criticism of you or your family. Hard to talk about this stuff because it is so personal. But that's a big thing that goes on in my mind when considering this stuff.

I'm glad it works for him, my only concern is.. it's as if hes not good enough as is. Has no capacity to ever be a normal human. Can only be complete with the help of medication. What happens when he can no longer get that medication? All his social/coping/cognitive skills being learned under the influence will be a nightmare to deal with when he doesnt have them.

Please dont take this as criticism of you or your family. Hard to talk about this stuff because it is so personal. But that's a big thing that goes on in my mind when considering this stuff.

He may get to where he can focus better eventually, but stimulants help these guys a lot. I've seen ADHD kids drink a lot of coffee/Mountain Dew/Energy Drinks to help them focus without the meds.

Without his meds, he does seem fairly normal, until he has to focus or concentrate. It never occurred to me how bad it was until that driving episode that I described earlier.

Not all kids diagnosed with ADHD truly have it. My boy does. If you DO indeed have it, that is what the meds are for. They do help. Vyvanse has less of the euphoria associated with Adderal or Ritalin. That is why we chose it. He takes it once a day, when he goes to school or has to drive. He has no withdrawls when he goes off of it, at least that I have ever seen. Long-term side effects? He's taken it for years. I don't know if he'll have any health issues down the road.

This mentality is destructive in that it is completely selective and stigmatizes certain people for the medication they take based off of unfair assumptions as to its necessity.

Would you say the same thing about a diabetic regarding his insulin shots? I don't know how many times I've heard people say negative things about drugs like Adderall or Vyvanse merely because people abuse them. I don't abuse my medication, I take it as prescribed to feel normal, not to get high, or for fun.

I probably had it as a child. My father cured it with a one inch wide belt on my ass. That gets your attention in a hurry.

Back