anyone know what self defence weapons a felon can carry?

marclasvegas

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
i was convicted of a felony years ago and can't find any real info about what i can and can't carry and have in my posesion , i read im not even allowed to shot a paintball gun for fun ,im in the prosses of trying to get my gun rights back but even to talk to a good laywer is going to cost alot and going back to curt in the state i was convicted is going to cost even more(i was convicted in virginia and now live in nevada) i have desent self-defense training but even my teachers don't know what i can carry, what if someone trys to rob me and has a gun jiu-jitsu isn't going to help, i think a taser might be ok

Tasers will be illegal for you to carry. Don't do it. Unfortunately... in the State Of North Carolina (don't know if it's the same in Nevada) a convicted felon can posses a blackpowder rifle or pistol. Why? I have no idea, I guess our all knowing, all seeing, legislature, havn't figured out that you can kill somebody just as dead with a blackpowder gun as you can with a regular gun. Hopefully that all changes in the near future though. Laws change everytime the Supreme court meets, so hopefully they get that one taken care of in the near future.

yeah i was trying to read the nevada code but i guess i cant understand it and i know i can't carry a taser or a stun gun i hope i can carry a knife because i always have one for work, i have a meeting with a lawyer to try to get my gun rights back its just going to take a lot of money

I would recommend mace. I believe that is a legal self defense item in every state no matter if you have a record or not.

Sorry, but your a felon. Any weapon would be considered unlawful possession of a dangerous weapon, which is another felony. I think you might be able to have a BB gun. :redface:

POTATO.jpg

I would suggest carrying a ballpoint pen - And no I'm not kidding. It is absolutely lethal. It is completely legal. It is concealable. It is a good close range weapon and can never be questioned by law enforcement. You can even carry it on a plane.

Pretty much anything else you have that is not in plain sight could get you pinched for carrying a concealed weapon. Even a lockblade in a case worn in plain sight on your hip can get you in trouble if it is longer than permitted by a particular municipality.

And if someone wants to rob you, give them what they want. Nothing you have in your wallet is worth dying for.

i was convicted of a felony years ago and can't find any real info about what i can and can't carry and have in my posesion , i read im not even allowed to shot a paintball gun for fun ,im in the prosses of trying to get my gun rights back but even to talk to a good laywer is going to cost alot and going back to curt in the state i was convicted is going to cost even more(i was convicted in virginia and now live in nevada) i have desent self-defense training but even my teachers don't know what i can carry, what if someone trys to rob me and has a gun jiu-jitsu isn't going to help, i think a taser might be ok

HRm.

As a felon, I am still under the impression that I need to "apply" somehow to receive my rights back.

You are not allowed to carry Any weapon.

If I'm checking a weird noise out in the house or outside, I bring a big flashlight. Nice big club, and isn't per se a "weapon"....still fucked if I use it though.

I would suggest carrying a ballpoint pen - And no I'm not kidding. It is absolutely lethal. It is completely legal. It is concealable. It is a good close range weapon and can never be questioned by law enforcement. You can even carry it on a plane.

Pretty much anything else you have that is not in plain sight could get you pinched for carrying a concealed weapon. Even a lockblade in a case worn in plain sight on your hip can get you in trouble if it is longer than permitted by a particular municipality.

And if someone wants to rob you, give them what they want. Nothing you have in your wallet is worth dying for.

Indeed. Your little folding knife won't do much anyway, you probably want to carry one to feel safer...

It's better to be properly armed and break the law than to follow it and die. The old " I'd rather be tried by twelve than carried by six'" says it all.

Tasers will be illegal for you to carry. Don\'t do it. Unfortunately... in the State Of North Carolina (don\'t know if it\'s the same in Nevada) a convicted felon can posses a blackpowder rifle or pistol. Why? I have no idea, I guess our all knowing, all seeing, legislature, havn\'t figured out that you can kill somebody just as dead with a blackpowder gun as you can with a regular gun. Hopefully that all changes in the near future though. Laws change everytime the Supreme court meets, so hopefully they get that one taken care of in the near future.

I am in a similar boat to the TS and I do feel some gun rights should be restored depending on the type of offense and length of time since conviction. I agree with you though....to outlaw a regular gun but not blackpowder? Your state supreme court should get that one taken care of (although I dont think I mean that the same way you do)

a true felon could keester stash anything he wants to carry

I don'y know about your state but I'm a cop in New Jersey (one of the most felon-friendly, gun/weapon unfriendly states for sure.)

Anything that has a dual purpose is fine. It may be questioned but it's okay. If you work in a warehouse and I find a boxcutter with tape glue caked on the blade, I'm likely to take it but not charge you. A walking stick or cane is always legal. Just don't be an idiot and a dork by getting one with a crappily made sword in it.

Back