Anyone listening to the new A Perfect Circle album?

Madmick

Zugzwang
Staff member
Senior Moderator
Reaction score
apcheader.jpg

In the first minute Maynard had already reminded me of what an incredible singer he was/is. He sounds barely recognizable at one point-- almost like a female started singing. Then he returns to a more familiar voice resonance.

It blew me away, reminding me what a voice by itself can do, and the fact that hearing a caliber of voice like this sing something familiar for 10 years isn't the same as listening to it sing something new, unfamiliar, where you don't even know if you like it yet, but you know that you're far more interested to hear what comes next, to stay in the stream of that sound, to not be separated from it.

I also love how APC layers the instrumentals underneath it. No ego. They understand how it works: what they're building. Everything they do gives him more thrust. These are musicians' musicians, like hired guns, and yet their understanding is precisely why they're so popular and well-known to us laymen.

Since we're on the Dog-- the obligatory throwback.

This man is a personal hero of mine:
Rock star Maynard Keenan comes home to help MCC wrestling team
maynard_keenan_boone_alway.jpg

Last edited:
apcheader.jpg

In the first minute Maynard had already reminded me of what an incredible singer he was/is. He sounds barely recognizable at one point-- almost like a female started singing. Then he returns to a more familiar voice resonance.

It blew me away, reminding me what a voice by itself can do, and the fact that hearing a caliber of voice like this sing something familiar for 10 years isn't the same as listening to it sing something new, unfamiliar, where you don't even know if you like it yet, but you know that you're far more interested to hear what comes next, to stay in the stream of that sound, to not be separated from it.

I also love how APC layers the instrumentals underneath it. No ego. They understand how it works: what they're building. Everything they do gives him more thrust. These are musicians' musicians, like hired guns, and yet their understanding is precisely why they're so popular and well-known to us laymen.

Super cool story and pictures pal.I loved the first album and even more so when I saw them live but I've listened to this and it's not for me.Obviously I'll listen again and even if it's still not to my liking it matters not because it's to each their own and it can never take away from his incredible past catalogue of music.
Cool picture m8.

It’s too mellow. I need to listen to it a few more times, but so far the only stand out song is Doomed.

It's garbage. Just bring the new Tool album already.

Nah, Cardi B is garbage. Dumb bitch reminds me of Mike Brown. She has to say her own name every 15 seconds just so she doesn't forget it, apparently.

This is just a bit meandering. Pitchfork wasn't a fan of this album either, opining that Billy and Maynard had devolved into "Gloomy Adult-Alternative" and that the album substantively was difficult to distinguish from Keane, but I sometimes like Keane, and I'm also an adult who doesn't think that "adult" is a bad word. Guess I'm getting old.

For any who were fans of the more familiar style from their albums Mer de Noms and Thirteenth Step, you'll probably like the sound of Track 11, "Feathers", the most. The lyrics are nearly inscrutable, and frankly, that's where I think the bulk of criticism aimed at this album is coming from. He's definitely talking about the warlords falsely dividing us, which is a big theme with him, but it lacks the same lyrical momentum and explicit imagery that songs like "Counting Bodies like Sheep..." packed. I can't even pin down a viable, concrete interpretation for what "feathers" is intended to signify. I can barely nominate several possibilities.

Nevertheless, the sound and style is more familiar, so if you didn't make it this deep, enjoy:

I didnt grip me the first play through. Ill give it another shot, but it does not stand out like their early stuff. Thirteenth Step was simply amazing. This one I am not so sure of.

I've tried to get into this album and I really mean it when I said I tried but I don't like it. I was hoping this would be on the level of Mer de Noms and Thirteenth Step but it isn't. The cover art for the album is atrocious and looks like cover art for a band releasing their new album exclusively at Hot Topic circa 2003. I also do not like the production of the album either. The last Puscifer album is way better than this one.

The thing I have been asking for has been the new Tool record. Their last record 10,000 Days came out almost 12 years ago. I think we are due for a new album right about now. I've noticed the band has been active on social media recently in relation to the record. Danny Carey is currently tracking his drums as we speak and Maynard said all lyrics and melodies have been written and he is just waiting on the band to finish recording their parts

Meh.

I mean, everything you say about Maynard's voice is accurate, but that song is not a great representation of what he's capable of. That's no effort Maynard. He could do that shit in his sleep.

The whole thing sound uninspired to me. Like they phoned it in or something.

Listening now and I think it's very good.

I don't think most fans will like it. It's mature and feels like a prog album. If you like Maynard's voice, good lyrics and well crafted songs, you'll dig it. If you expect a hard rocking album, you'll probably be disappointed.

apcheader.jpg

His singing is what makes Tool and APC outstanding if you ask me.

What’s up with the cover of Eat the elefant doe. Jesus Christ.

The album sucks for the most part

The best song is Delicious followed by Contrarian and By and Down The River (although the original By and Down is better). Get the Lead Out is decent too.

It’s OK. It’s a different approach and I always give props for trying something different but it ultimately lacks the bite of the others. There’s a chance it will grow on me more. It takes longer to digest these type of albums. It’s in my car rotation so it will have more cracks.

I saw APC last year at Aftershock and when they played a song I’d later know as “Hourglass” it completely threw a wrench in the show. I thought it was such a bad idea to play that song, especially following it up with “Counting Bodies Like Sheep...” The Doomed didn’t capture me right away either. So I came into this album with no real anticipation or expectation.

The four singles plus "By and Down the River" are good, but the other seven tracks haven't connected with me yet. I'm still listening to the whole album though, because those five songs are strong enough to carry me through each time.

Back