Anyone of you have rock climbing as their other hobby ?

Rdude92

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
If so, I'm sure you're grip is monstrous. I just watched Ninja Warrior and this busboy, who is a renowned rock climber, just crushed the Ninja Warrior obstacle course with ease. And won a million dollars doing it .

How huge of a gap will he have over common white belts if he ever decide to learn grappling?

I've trained with a guy that used to rock climb regularly - he was lean with great functional strength, which is obviously great to have for grappling, but I felt it was no different to the bricklayers and scaffolders I've trained with - and he still needed technique like everyone else.
As far as gap over other white belts - I would say it would be similar to anyone else that arrives with some strength and understanding of their body. I've never seen anyone pickup new techniques as quick as a professional dancer I used to train with.

I've never seen anyone pickup new techniques as quick as a professional dancer I used to train with.

A buddy of mine was trained in dance from childhood until he was like 19. You wouldn’t guess it because he’s kind of a big dude. But that his ability to quickly learn technique, especially judo, is pretty damn remarkable. Certainly well above the average.

huge once you know what's going on. people won't be able to break your grips easily/at all, and the body control you've developed will translate into your jiujitsu. you've also learned compartmentalizing the tension/relaxation/exertion dynamic. a good roll is very much like a good climb. some are short and intense (bouldering), some are battles of attrition (multipitch). almost every roll has a baseline level of intensity, and at least one, if not a series of cruxes. you'll also be able to pull off certain moves super easily, like heel hooking the far hip after an arm drag for a back take.

basically, if you're in even the .9-10 but especially if you can do .11s, you're coming in the door with a huge advantage. you've already developed and sharpened the tools, so if you can wrap your head around the game and approach it as deliberately as a redpoint attempt, you will progress very quickly. not only that, but you'll find that continuing to cross-train will allow for added benefits in both.

that said, you'll have to prioritize your focus. you'd have to back off the climbing enough that your arms aren't too bonked to grapple.

but yeah, your typical climber? 20-30 something ganglebeard with flexibility, body control, grip strength, and an analytical mind? probably the best naive grappling skillset you could walk through the door with.

besides farming.

I've trained with a guy that used to rock climb regularly - he was lean with great functional strength, which is obviously great to have for grappling, but I felt it was no different to the bricklayers and scaffolders I've trained with - and he still needed technique like everyone else.
As far as gap over other white belts - I would say it would be similar to anyone else that arrives with some strength and understanding of their body. I've never seen anyone pickup new techniques as quick as a professional dancer I used to train with.

A buddy of mine was trained in dance from childhood until he was like 19. You wouldn’t guess it because he’s kind of a big dude. But that his ability to quickly learn technique, especially judo, is pretty damn remarkable. Certainly well above the average.

Man I'll tell you what, dancers are no fucking joke. My girl danced growing up, not so much a trained dancer but a natural and was just obsessed with it on her own, favorite movie was Fame, that type of thing.

Her flexibility, strength, and self awareness are next level. We just screw around and she can do so much really good stuff. She's not easy to control if I'm just flow rolling with her. And she doeadoe train, just came to a couple classes and plays around on the floor with me. It's freaky, she's one of those people who would be a mid-level blue belt in a year if she trained.

She also looks like Lisa Bonet had a kid with Julia Roberts. Sorry guys, I won at life lol

Like RJ says, BJJ has an unusual skill set that privileges maintaining static grips, leverage, and energy efficiency...combined with using power and speed in disciplined dynamic bursts. Matches up really well with rock climbing, physically and mentally.

Give him Marcelo vid and Starting Strength Enamait and become champ 3 months.

I climb on the side, mostly because my son loves it so much (I'm not very good, about a .9), and I find that being a good grappler makes it a lot easier. I have good body control, grip strength, balance, and strong general kinesthetic awareness. I can only assume it would work the same going the other way, anyone who has good control of their body and good sense of themselves in space is going to have an advantage in grappling, or any other discipline that requires that skill. I've heard high level weightlifting coaches say martial artists are much easier to teach because they're already able to feel what's happening in their own bodies in terms of alignment and muscle activation, which is hugely important for lifting.

Had a gymnast show up to our school from out of town. He warmed up by doing all sorts of crazy acrobatics. When we touched hands I destroyed him. I was double his age and blue belt at the time. Just watching his tumling skills you would have sworn he would be a natural. He had been training for 8 months.

Man I'll tell you what, dancers are no fucking joke. My girl danced growing up, not so much a trained dancer but a natural and was just obsessed with it on her own, favorite movie was Fame, that type of thing.

Her flexibility, strength, and self awareness are next level. We just screw around and she can do so much really good stuff. She's not easy to control if I'm just flow rolling with her. And she doeadoe train, just came to a couple classes and plays around on the floor with me. It's freaky, she's one of those people who would be a mid-level blue belt in a year if she trained.

She also looks like Lisa Bonet had a kid with Julia Roberts. Sorry guys, I won at life lol
Pics or it never happened

You know the Rules, brah: Pics or GTFO:)

I climbed before I started grappling, climbing at my peak in the mid 12 range.

Grip strength was noticeable rigth off the bat. As well, as others have pointed out, there is a real parallel in understanding how to use the structure of your body functionally. Even some movements are almost the same, like a drop knee is basically the same motion used to knee slice.

I think climbing was a great combination sport with grappling.

Though, on mornings that I would go train bjj, my climbing sessions later in the day suffered, of course. Eventually, I just couldn't do all the things I wanted, and climbing fell off. I do miss it sometimes, but my fingers don't.

Back