Anyone play chess/interested in a Sherdog Chess club?

IGotAHugePeckah

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I watched a documentary on Bobby Fischer a few weeks ago and started reading about some of the great chess masters of past and present and have been on a chess loop ever since. I've always played on occasion growing up and know the rules, but I'm finally learning how to ACTUALLY play, instead of just randomly moving pieces and hoping to stumble upon an attack.

Any chess enthusiasts here? I play on Chess.com now, maybe if there's enough interest we could start up a chess club here for fun.

Man, i had signed up to this a few years ago. And no one played.

I'm down to try again though.

We had a sherdog group on chess.com a few years back. Not sure if it's still active since I don't play anymore.

Chess to me is always the same story. It's super fun til you get to the level where you have to start memorizing openings, counters, and all that. Then I always lose interest because repeating memorized sequences is not fun for me.

So then I leave it alone for years until I get really rusty, then I can enjoy it again... Until I get to the point where I need to memorize moves again.

Bobby Fischer is easily one of my favorite sports persons ever! Too bad my brain just does not have capasity to play chess.

Played since I was like 3 or 4. Used to play in a club. Haven’t played much since 2001. Might be interested in playing a bit.

So your parents made you play chess at that age? That's kinda scary to me.

Nah, that's just when I got Video Chess for the Atari. My dad taught me some stuff, and another family member was a mediocre but somewhat active club player. Grew up with a guy who was a junior K-9 state champ and worked for awhile with a 2000+ dude. We played games every day during lunch and sometimes after work for probably 3 years. Last I really played was around 2001. Got a little disenfranchised with the rise of superhuman PC chess engines.

Last edited:
I watched a documentary on Bobby Fischer a few weeks ago and started reading about some of the great chess masters of past and present and have been on a chess loop ever since. I've always played on occasion growing up and know the rules, but I'm finally learning how to ACTUALLY play, instead of just randomly moving pieces and hoping to stumble upon an attack.

Any chess enthusiasts here? I play on Chess.com now, maybe if there's enough interest we could start up a chess club here for fun.

Can't see myself playing anything with someone named IGotAHugePeckah who talks about attacking.

I used to have a ranking in the Canadian Chess Federation, but that was 15 years ago and i haven’t played in sanctioned events since. I still enjoy a game with my brother once in a while, but that’s like once or twice a year now. I prefer to play in person though, i’m just old fashion i guess.

Been playing some games on chess.com vs the computer over the last week in my downtime at work. Hella rusty but I’ve been steadily improving. Any idea how the computer levels on a modern pc stack up to actual rankings?

I'm down to play, not sure about the classes though I took them already when I was 11, and was beating adults since.

I used to play online. I have not played in years.

Once I playing against a computer. I manipulated the board to my favor before I started the match. I literally moved up all my pieces right up and jammed the computer's pieces. My pawns were right in front of the computer pawn starting line, and my valuable pieces right behind that.

I thought I had the ultimate advantage. I started the game, and the computer went on to eviscerate me.

I play chess once in a blue moon, it's something I like and am interested in the idea of it, but I am not that good...which is expected if you only play once every few months. Like I don't any clue about proper strategy or openings, as we say here I just play it by ear

Any chess enthusiasts here?

Yes. Count me in. Chess used to be one of the games included with the early versions of Windows, but now it has been taken out. I played against the computer and gradually moved up the levels. Managed to get to the higher levels and beat the computer. It is wonderful exercise for the brain as you get older. Better than doing cross word puzzles.

...but nothing beats the feeling of holding real pieces made of fine wood.

I'm down to act like I am willing to commit to it but then quickly prove to be completely unreliable and a flake

We had a sherdog group on chess.com a few years back. Not sure if it's still active since I don't play anymore.

Chess to me is always the same story. It's super fun til you get to the level where you have to start memorizing openings, counters, and all that. Then I always lose interest because repeating memorized sequences is not fun for me.

So then I leave it alone for years until I get really rusty, then I can enjoy it again... Until I get to the point where I need to memorize moves again.
Precisely

Back