Anyone suffer from nightmares when overtraining?

Blossom's Hat

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
When I get weird dreams I take some rest days, but if I continue I will get straight nightmares. It's generally not of monsters, but of dark thoughts of my past/family/loved one's. It only happens after maxing out my fitness level after going multiple days. Anyone else deal with this or am I just cray?

I've only had "nightmares" following hard sparring. I don't know if I'd call them nightmares but I think my brain may be trying to process the sensory information it received. I'm not a neuroscientist or anything fancy but this is my best guess. I have re-lived sparring (training) sessions in my sleep on occasion.

I have a theory. Instead of getting 8 hrs when normally training and popping out of bed, your body and mind wants to stay asleep because its overworked, so you stay in bed longer. During that half sleep your mind turns on and starts worrying

I get vivid dreams when I use ZMA supplements. Not bad dreams really, but quite weird.

I just get nightmares when dehdrated, but overtraining doesn't sound too weird as a cause. Anything can happen with overtraining, in my experience. I even had allergic symptoms from overtraining in the past (days of hay fever during a snow season is pretty weird).

Overtraining/underrecovering stimules the stress response and the sympathetic nervous system, which in turn increases systemic inflammation, alert emotion and stress hormone activity. It sounds more overwhelming than it is, basicly the body is always in an cycle of stress, recovery and adaption. You can ease off the training and get some more rest, mentally and physically, if you feel overworked.

Point is, it's completely reasonable to get bad dreams or break outs/allergies when pushing yourself for an extended period of time.

Overtraining/underrecovering stimules the stress response and the sympathetic nervous system, which in turn increases systemic inflammation, alert emotion and stress hormone activity. It sounds more overwhelming than it is, basicly the body is always in an cycle of stress, recovery and adaption. You can ease off the training and get some more rest, mentally and physically, if you feel overworked.

Point is, it's completely reasonable to get bad dreams or break outs/allergies when pushing yourself for an extended period of time.

Also, it can also cause insomnia and negatively affect the quality of sleep.

When I get weird dreams I take some rest days, but if I continue I will get straight nightmares. It's generally not of monsters, but of dark thoughts of my past/family/loved one's. It only happens after maxing out my fitness level after going multiple days. Anyone else deal with this or am I just cray?
I'm not a psychologist, but I feel that this is an issue that should be resolved through therapy or perhaps having a heart-to-heart conversation with your family and friends. Overtraining can cause insomnia and affect your quality of sleep as I've mentioned in my previous post (not to mention, make you more prone to injuries, delay recovery, kill your appetite, etc.), so dial your training sessions down a notch or take an occasional rest day.

Back