Anyone thinks it's wrong for young kids to train boxing

human-brain-development-synapse-formation-dependent-on-early-experiences30DFA913B1B36ABCE5628C7D.jpg

Let your kids brain develop before you let them start messing it up.

I actually think as far as striking point karate and light kick boxing muay thai sparring are good options. I think the timing you get from doing that at a young age is very valuable. I sparred hard with my senseis( he was holding back) since I was 5 and that gave me some good experience. I sparred hard with other slightly older students only a few times and got rocked just once, going on to tko him(at 14). I think it was a good experience because I actually knew what it was like to get hit. If you've never been hit before its jarring.

Last edited:
As much as I love boxing I'd have to agree. In a way it is kind of weird up we as a society still do watch two guys beat the shit of each other for entertainment. Yet here I am

As much as I love boxing I'd have to agree. In a way it is kind of weird up we as a society still do watch two guys beat the shit of each other for entertainment. Yet here I am

Please don't talk like these peace loving progressive hippie types ........ we have to hear this crap too much these days in the media, mostly from people who are so spoiled and protected they really need to get out there and see what the worlds really like when you get past the MTV sphere of the world.

There's nothing weird about it, its a form of competition and we as animal beings still and always will have a violent streak.

So long as we have testosterone flowing through us people will need an outlet.

I feel sad that we live in a society where physical prowess and the fitness, discipline and honour that comes with it is frowned upon like your some sort of caveman.

Not long ago if you didn't have these types of men we'd all be speaking German or Japanese and have no freedom.

Please don't talk like these peace loving progressive hippie types ........ we have to hear this crap too much these days in the media, mostly from people who are so spoiled and protected they really need to get out there and see what the worlds really like when you get past the MTV sphere of the world.

There's nothing weird about it, its a form of competition and we as animal beings still and always will have a violent streak.

I feel sad that we live in a society where physical prowess and the fitness, discipline and honour that comes with it is frowned upon like your some sort of caveman.

Not long ago if you didn't have these types of men we'd all be speaking German or Japanese and have no freedom.

Guy we are talking about 6 year olds here. There is a bunch of other things kids can do at that age instead of closed fist all out sparring, that will equally contribute to character developing and so forth.. They can be tap boxing, wrestling or do judo. Getting that undeveloped brain rattled, is nothing smart about that

I have girls and they never showed any interest- for the most part immature girls settle relational disputes differently than the opposite gender.

But if I had a boy I'm not sure if I or my wife would be too keen on letting them spar to the head until they were late in middle school, if at all- we have both seen people take life changing damage in the ring. This time in which we live gives us insight previous generations didn't have, through modern medicine, about the long term effects of concussions and their influence on behavioral predispositions. I know this, I would be hands on, no sparing to head early on and never without me watching closely.

Guy we are talking about 6 year olds here. There is a bunch of other things kids can do at that age instead of closed fist all out sparring, that will equally contribute to character developing and so forth.. They can be tap boxing, wrestling or do judo. Getting that undeveloped brain rattled, is nothing smart about that

No we aren't.

I was responding to the guy above ........ on page 1 I'm talking about the kids, bit of a different story.

No sparring before 13. The brain doesn't need it.

I am a peace loving progressive hippie type...who loves punching shit and watching dudes punch each other. If I had a kid I would no doubt have him box, and feel guilty and weird about it. One of the many reasons I won't have kids.

I am a peace loving progressive hippie type...who loves punching shit and watching dudes punch each other. If I had a kid I would no doubt have him box, and feel guilty and weird about it. One of the many reasons I won't have kids.

Lol fair enough, the only reason that kind of talk gets to me is because it sounds like the usual crap where basically people are telling other people what they can or cannot do and that bothers me.

You have people literally campaigning to get boxing banned or MMA banned and that fks me off on many levels as a freedom loving adult.

It's obvious that repeated trauma to the head at a young age before the brain is fully developed increases your chances of debilitating illnesses in later life. They are trying to stop kids from heading a soccer ball until mid to late teens because of it, so punching is clearly more damaging.

You shouldn't stop kids training or learning fundamentals though. Ultimately everyone on this forum who has ever drunk alcohol, smoked, taken drugs, played combat sports etc takes a known risk. It's life, you take risks.

as more is understood about brain trauma, it has made me re-think all contact sports at all ages.

boxing, hockey, (american) football, whatever.

Early teen's are fine. Lots of 11-12 year olds in my gym.Give them a few rounds with an experienced boxer who throws rubbery shots at 10 % ish force. Also loads of fundamentals too learn without actually sparring.

Back