Anyone use the trap bar / hex bar deadlift?

I have a pretty messed up spine, scoliosis and a few other things, based on the MRI, and my lower back hurts like hell once in a while (as in living on the floor in pain for a couple of days). Having said that, I have never, not once, injured my back doing (back) squats. I've been anal about my technique and 500 lbs squats were perfectly fine.

I've had troubles with deadlifts though, never been able to grab the bar without rounding my back, no matter how much I practiced. Maybe I have shorter arms, I don't know... I never pushed myself, was too afraid. The trap bar is a great alternative for me. (But then, these days I'm taking it easy, I lift lighter and I lost weight)

Trap bars are a fine sub for pulling off the floor. If you aren't a powerlifter you simply don't need to conventional DL.

Combine the trap dead with something like a GM,RDL or deadlift hyper and you are set.

I’m thinking about doing trap bar deadlifts exclusively from now on. I can lift more that way, they feel way more natural and I’m sick of slicing up my shins. Plus I recall Steve Maxwell on JRE saying they’re better for explosive movements like sprinting

I’m thinking about doing trap bar deadlifts exclusively from now on. I can lift more that way, they feel way more natural and I’m sick of slicing up my shins. Plus I recall Steve Maxwell on JRE saying they’re better for explosive movements like sprinting

Huh, why is that?
They are definitely better for stuff like jump deadlifts, grip training/farmer's walks, etc.

Huh, why is that?
They are definitely better for stuff like jump deadlifts, grip training/farmer's walks, etc.
Not sure, he only mentioned it briefly but it’s stuck with me ever since. He said it’s one of the few exercises that made a noticeable difference for his sprinters’ times. I would guess because it’s a more natural movement, closer to natural running form. Slightly less convoluted than a regular deadlift at least

I tried it but it didn’t make me tingle in my under britches. I can see the benefits though.

I haven’t heard a single mention of the Barbell Hack Squat?

Picking one of these up as my program calls for leg press and I’m home gym master race. Figure the knee and hip angle are almost identical and it’s better than an actual leg press

How do you do them without the bar slamming into your hamstrings?

See, if you would have not been a dick and asked the question in the first place I would have told you.

1: Set the pins up in the power rack so you can sit parallel on the bar.

2: Begin lift seated on the bar.

3: Concentrate on flexing your quads at the top of the lift.

It’s not a true hack squat per say, but it removes that hamstring slam problem that you’ve encountered.

See, if you would have not been a dick and asked the question in the first place I would have told you.

1: Set the pins up in the power rack so you can sit parallel on the bar.

2: Begin lift seated on the bar.

3: Concentrate on flexing your quads at the top of the lift.

It’s not a true hack squat per say, but it removes that hamstring slam problem that you’ve encountered.
I just need it to be enough knee flexion to replace the leg press. If this works you just saved me $140 buying a cheap trap bar lol

That's actually pretty interesting, gonna look at that tonight, play around a bit.

Hex bar is worth the money imo, solid home gym equipment.

Not sure, he only mentioned it briefly but it’s stuck with me ever since. He said it’s one of the few exercises that made a noticeable difference for his sprinters’ times. I would guess because it’s a more natural movement, closer to natural running form. Slightly less convoluted than a regular deadlift at least
The form you use to lift the hex bar imitates a standing vertical jump more than backsquats and barbell deadlifts

I exclusively do hex bar deadlifts for a few reasons, I only lift for additional strength, speed and power for sports I also feel like I get injured a lot less when I am lifting weights as well because of putting my body through ROMs with additional weight and overloading
With the hex bar you can overload a lot more weight on average than your barbell deadlift and personally I can feel a lot of leg drive and glutes in the movement
I have done back squats and deadlifts in the past but when you are going up in weight especially you really need to focus on form and could literally never feel like it is perfected, if you are lifting for sports I feel like back squats and barbell deadlifts are almost like OLY lifts while they could be beneficial (OLY lifts are great for explosive movements) they are also a skill that also needs to be learned and if you are lifting without a coach you could easily be doing it wrong, get out of position quickly and put yourself at risk for injury
Hex bar is a lot more simple way to produce a lot of power lifting heavier weight that will feel a lot comfier and if it doesnt feel right you can just drop it instead of the weight being stuck on your shoulders
I would recommend box squats for people liitng for sports as well which is easier than a regular back squat and good for increasing vertical jump
Other things to do if exclusively doing hex bar are RDLs, reverse lunges, bodyweight hamstring exercises

Back