Anyone used a Sous Vide to cook?

Well I travel a ton and mostly in foody cities. I am a foody so I hit up many of the top restaurants when I do. I was just in Montreal (met @Loiosh - good guy) and was in New York and Chicago prior and it seems whenever you do a tasting menu with many courses in these cities there is at least one Sous Vide item on the menu. That is not something I noticed a few years ago as much.

You went to the wrong steakhouse, in my opinion.

We were actually a few blocks from the right one when we went to Santropol.

Moishes

104113-Moishes-MENU.jpg

moishes-mtl-food-snob-blog-15.jpg

moishes-steakhouse-institution-montreal-22.jpg

No, it was all the rage in 2013.
Shit is gay
So expand on your view please. As I am the kitchen gadget guy and have been thinking about adding one of these.

Do you see it as over rated in terms of quality, taste, texture?

I graduated from.the culinary art institute of southern California. I don't need to watch a video on how to sear a steak dude.
I would appreciate your view as well since I did watch lots of videos and when they do remove the steak from the pouch at the 'perfect' temp they are all searing it in a hot skillet with oil and often butter and thyme for basting to add some colour since it comes out pale and raw looking from the Sous Vide process.

As i said I am a Bbq guy first and foremost. I just like cooking on a bbq and take pride in it. I wish I could have a charcoal bbq in my condo but only gas is allowed. So I have a top Weber grill and when I am cooking steaks I super heat that mofo. The top temp registers at 800 degrees and i hit that and let it go well above. I suspect I am near 1100 degrees when I cook a steak. The bars and everything in it are molten red and look about to melt and probably will one day. Oh well, such is the cost of good steak. A sacrificed bbq here and there are well worth it.

This is what a perfect steak looks like coming off my bbq (or even more rare as I personally enjoy blue rare) and i have had many guests tell me they have never had a better steak (i buy great cuts and have nice friends)

rare-steak.png

Apparently the jist behind it is you heat water to whatever temp you want your meat, say 155, then put the meat in a vacuum bag inside the water and eventually though convection the meat will become the same temperature without any worry of over cooking.

Does anyone have a sous Vide cooker? and how do you like it?

Yeah. I'm digging it so far. Steaks, eggs, flan. All top notch.

So expand on your view please. As I am the kitchen gadget guy and have been thinking about adding one of these.

I would appreciate your view as well since I did watch lots of videos and when they do remove the steak from the pouch at the 'perfect' temp they are all searing it in a hot skillet with oil and often butter and thyme for basting to add some colour since it comes out pale and raw looking from the Sous Vide process.

As i said I am a Bbq guy first and foremost. I just like cooking on a bbq and take pride in it. I wish I could have a charcoal bbq in my condo but only gas is allowed. So I have a top Weber grill and when I am cooking steaks I super heat that mofo. The top temp registers at 800 degrees and i hit that and let it go well above. I suspect I am near 1100 degrees when I cook a steak. The bars and everything in it are molten red and look about to melt and probably will one day. Oh well, such is the cost of good steak. A sacrificed bbq here and there are well worth it.

This is what a perfect steak looks like coming off my bbq (or even more rare as I personally enjoy blue rare) and i have had many guests tell me they have never had a better steak (i buy great cuts and have nice friends)

rare-steak.png

looks amazing.

You went to the wrong steakhouse, in my opinion.

We were actually a few blocks from the right one when we went to Santropol.

Moishes

104113-Moishes-MENU.jpg

moishes-mtl-food-snob-blog-15.jpg

moishes-steakhouse-institution-montreal-22.jpg

Nice I added that to my list for my next trip to Montreal.

I hit up Joe Beefs on this trip mainly because of seeing it on Anthony Bourdain (RIP) episode of Parts Unknown and trying twice prior when I was in Montreal and being told the Reservation list was months long. This trip I was actually told the first reservation was in 9 months and i had to pull some strings to get this reservation. Truthfully I found Joe Beef good but over rated compared to other places I have been with such long reservation cues.

Nice I added that to my list for my next trip to Montreal.

I hit up Joe Beefs on this trip mainly because of seeing it on Anthony Bourdain (RIP) episode of Parts Unknown and trying twice prior when I was in Montreal and being told the Reservation list was months long. This trip I was actually told the first reservation was in 9 months and i had to pull some strings to get this reservation. Truthfully I found Joe Beef good but over rated compared to other places I have been with such long reservation cues.

Go to Au Pied de Cochon next time.

rare-steak.png
I think sous vide cooking is gay.
No one cares about your shitting overcooked BBQ, your guests know nothing

Nice is a subjective term. If you like burnt meat, or tough meat it will be nice to you. If you want a sear, you have to have cold meat freshly salted hit a hot pan.

Do you have a source for this? Every cooking show I've ever seen about searing has never mentioned that. Just putting something on high heat for a short time is all that is mentioned. I've never heard what you're saying before.

It's even defined here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Searing

Yes to cuisinart steam oven.

Have not tried chicken on it. Rarely cook chicken but when I do its usually on my bbq.

But in my estimation it takes no more time and often less time than a regular Toaster Oven which it also is if you don't want to use the steam function . If you have used a regular one you can use that for reference.

I am still a stubborn bbq guy as I love my grill so I use the steam oven for seafood and veggies mainly.

When it comes to the Sous Vide steaks I get it. I know they are great but I still have issues with pan frying (searing them) after with a bunch of butter and stuff. Not denying the taste and quality but I still want to grill the perfect steak on my bbq with just a little salt, black pepper and garlic rubbed into it. And i cook a perfect steak even if I have to heat my bbq up to near melting temps to do so.

I Sous Vide steaks with just salt and pepper. The butter is to basically add color and texture in a cast iron pan. I don't do it for taste really. You can always Sous Vide and finish searing on the grill without butter.

I Sous Vide steaks with just salt and pepper. The butter is to basically add color and texture in a cast iron pan. I don't do it for taste really. You can always Sous Vide and finish searing on the grill without butter.
<LikeReally5>

Ive been using one for around 5 years. Once you go sous vide, you cant go back.....

Back