Anyone used a Sous Vide to cook?

I think sous vide cooking is gay.
No one cares about your shitting overcooked BBQ, your guests know nothing

Let me guess. You are a pure fry (butter and skillet) the steak type of guy.

Don't like Sous Vide, don't like cooking a steak on a super hot grill.

Probably only advanced to grilled cheese.

It has always looked pretty cool, and easy. That is my favorite part. The ease.

Or so it seems, because I have yet to try one. The concept is cool too.

I like cooking on a super hot grill, because im actually good at it.

Right now I am still playing with my relatively new Steam Oven. Man does it cook great fish and veggies. So moist.

steam-oven-hero.jpg

Does meat take a long time?

Yes to cuisinart steam oven.

Have not tried chicken on it. Rarely cook chicken but when I do its usually on my bbq.

But in my estimation it takes no more time and often less time than a regular Toaster Oven which it also is if you don't want to use the steam function . If you have used a regular one you can use that for reference.

I am still a stubborn bbq guy as I love my grill so I use the steam oven for seafood and veggies mainly.

When it comes to the Sous Vide steaks I get it. I know they are great but I still have issues with pan frying (searing them) after with a bunch of butter and stuff. Not denying the taste and quality but I still want to grill the perfect steak on my bbq with just a little salt, black pepper and garlic rubbed into it. And i cook a perfect steak even if I have to heat my bbq up to near melting temps to do so.

Ah ok

Does meat take a long time?
I do not cook meat in it. That is for my bbq.

I cook mostly fish and veggies.

years ago however when I lived in a condo and could not have a bbq, i used a regular toaster oven a lot to cook meats and due to the small cooking area they are fast and efficient.

Just understand that the introduction of Steam is not beneficial to everything you cook. But for some items it is fantastic. And that Steam Oven has a no steam option. It is certainly one of my favorite kitchen gadget items and I have a lot of them.

Edit ok I just googled and I guess I should be trying some meats in the Steam oven as well.

Last edited:
You BBQ bros all overestimate your shitty food and how difficult it is to cook said food

You don't like BBQ? my dad cook pretty much everything in his big green egg and it's some of the best food I've ever had.

You BBQ bros all overestimate your shitty food and how difficult it is to cook said food
No I actually don't. I never proclaim myself a chef or anywhere near that. I am a hack back yard cook who has a passion for cooking but who recognizes I have neither the time nor the desire to try and do things to the level or at the level a chef would.

i rank myself strong amongst the backyard cook set but no where near the league of proper trained chefs as I am a foodie and know what the next level looks like.

I am happy with the compliments i get on most things I get and believe them sincere, but I also know to file them with the proper context.

You don't like BBQ? my dad cook pretty much everything in his big green egg and it's some of the best food I've ever had.
I like bbq but its a simpleton’s game and cant beat real cuisine. Unless you’re Andre de Luca or someone of that ilk

General PSA, don't listen if someone tells you to add cold meat to a hot pan.

Sous Vide seems cool, and if someone gave me a free one, I'd probably use it. However, I can just low temp cook meat in the oven then finish it with a sear in cast iron. I have enough shit in my kitchen and don't need to buy something that's going to take up even more space.

General PSA, don't listen if someone tells you to add cold meat to a hot pan.

Sous Vide seems cool, and if someone gave me a free one, I'd probably use it. However, I can just low temp cook meat in the oven then finish it with a sear in cast iron. I have enough shit in my kitchen and don't need to buy something that's going to take up even more space.
Reverse searing is stupid. But you're right

I have one sitting in the closet for almost a year. Wife decided to get one when there was deal going on, but never made any attempt to use it.

just a point of clarification, sous vide means 'under vacuum'. it is not a noun (i.e. an oven), so you dont use a sous vide, you cook sous vide. One of the primary ideas that make cooking sous vide desirable is that the water used to cook your food is kept at a constant temperature, and is well circulated, so that whatever youre cooking eventually reaches that same temperature all throughout the entire piece of food.

How what? Hot meat cannot "sear" it will burn, but the chemical reaction that is called searing happens when cold meat with salt on it hits a hot pan.
you have no idea what you're talking about.

Not gonna lie, only clicked thread for @Da Speeit snark content.

Dude, I'm skeptical of reverse searing. Somebody in a thread a few days back, and somebody IRL recently recommended it to me. I'm not seeing the upside here, unless I really want to overcook my steak.

Not gonna lie, only clicked thread for @Da Speeit snark content.

Dude, I'm skeptical of reverse searing. Somebody in a thread a few days back, and somebody IRL recently recommended it to me. I'm not seeing the upside here, unless I really want to overcook my steak.
I'll be as liberal as i can with this...it depends on the cut, for me.

But the idea is that more of your protein is going to be at the temperature you wish it be and the sear on the outside wont be as "Dense". But for me it's a texture and profile thing not necessarily a flavor thing; the whole point of the sear is not solely for flavor or texture, but to figuratively "Kill" part of the suspended protein sot hat myoglobin wont seep out of it while it cooks. There's a big difference with beef and I think pre-searing is the best method.

Venison is up in the air. Same with lamb.

I'll be as liberal as i can with this...it depends on the cut, for me.

But the idea is that more of your protein is going to be at the temperature you wish it be and the sear on the outside wont be as "Dense". But for me it's a texture and profile thing not necessarily a flavor thing; the whole point of the sear is not solely for flavor or texture, but to figuratively "Kill" part of the suspended protein sot hat myoglobin wont seep out of it while it cooks. There's a big difference with beef and I think pre-searing is the best method.

Venison is up in the air. Same with lamb.
Does that mean that the sear will happen faster? I have no problem, even with an un-maintained cast iron, getting a good enough sear on a little 1" steak without leaving too thick a band of overcooked meat. If I sear off a steak that is already done, it's going to overcook isn't it?

Back